Carroll says Jared Allen deal still pending - ALLEN TO BEARS

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
LOL, Bears fans are now saying the NFC North is theirs and they are Super Bowl contenders. Did they forget they still have that bum Cutler as their QB?

MVP53

Reaction score
bigtrain21":g8x70hgc said:
HawkFan72":g8x70hgc said:
Here's the real reason Allen isn't a Seahawk.

Sources also said that Allen’s wife was not enamored with Seattle in her two visits here and didn’t like the city. Really? Maybe she was here on a couple of typical, rainy and gray winter days, but enjoy those winters in Chicago.

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/5164/jared-allen-got-the-better-offer-he-wanted

Reports were she visited one time and it was a really nice day if I remember correctly. I call BS. He made that up.

Not everything is about sunshiny days.

Allen's family lives near Minneapolis. Chicago is 400 miles away. That's about a 6 hour drive. That's a WHOLE lot different than moving half way across the country.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
I could care less if he wants to be part of our team or not.

Attachments

• 10150689_606817506063067_1427147489_n.jpg
    10150689_606817506063067_1427147489_n.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 811

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Four or five years ago, the Seahawks front office would have thrown the bank at Allen. Now they set what they felt was a fair value for him in their scheme and let it work itself out. Sometimes it works, as was the case with Bennett and Avril last year. Sometimes it does not, as we saw with Tate and Allen this year.

This is exactly the type of decision making that helped win us our first Super Bowl. Allen made the decision he thought best for him; who can begrudge him that for any reason? The essential thing is that this front office didn't mortgage the future to try and score a big name like has been done in the past.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Would have come down to Jared Allen or Sherm/Thomas.

With Bennett already on the roster, it was a luxury move. We've got some good depth already at DE. We can draft late for depth and not worry about a thing.

And you don't sign an old guy like Allen at the expense of a HOFer like Sherman and/or Thomas in their prime.

Hilarious listening to Cubs fans talking Superbowl. They'd never get past the NFCW. NFCN is a joke.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kidhawk":27cu3a39 said:
On some teams, Allen would be worth that, but for us he was a luxury, just like last year having Clemons, Avril & Bennett all on the same defense was a luxury. We can't afford luxuries anymore. Our first priority has to be keeping the core of this team together. I would have loved to see what our defense could have done with Allen on it, but I'm also glad we are being smart with our money and hopefully using it to re-sign our own
This, a thousand times this.

MVP53

Reaction score
HansGruber":16sazo9v said:

With Bennett already on the roster, it was a luxury move. We've got some good depth already at DE. We can draft late for depth and not worry about a thing.

And you don't sign an old guy like Allen at the expense of a HOFer like Sherman and/or Thomas in their prime.

Hilarious listening to Cubs fans talking Superbowl. They'd never get past the NFCW. NFCN is a joke.

I really don't think Schneider would have offered Allen a deal that would have put any Earl/Sherm extensions in jeopardy.

If you truly believe it was an Allen or Earl/Sherm situation, then you believe Schneider values Allen more than Earl/Sherm, since he made an offer to Allen.

HansGruber

Reaction score
MVP53":1qcnayoc said:
HansGruber":1qcnayoc said:

I really don't think Schneider would have offered Allen a deal that would have put any Earl/Sherm extensions in jeopardy.

If you truly believe it was an Allen or Earl/Sherm situation, then you believe Schneider values Allen more than Earl/Sherm, since he made an offer to Allen.

Perhaps my wording was too ambiguous.

The deal that Allen signed with Chicago would have made us lose Sherman or Thomas. No way we make that move.

Largent80

Reaction score
Chicago has SO many players in their 30's, they are going nowhere in a hurry. Have your money and work your ass off and risk injury at the same time , for jack squat....hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........HA.

HansGruber

Reaction score
It was a desperate move by Chicago to put butts in the seats.

They lost the only meaningful battle when Bennett signed with Seattle. That would have been a setback. This is just the Seahawks shrugging, saying meh, and moving on with younger guys.

Seattle gets to keep Thomas and Sherman, and that is great great news.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
HansGruber":20hfozab said:

They lost the only meaningful battle when Bennett signed with Seattle. That would have been a setback. This is just the Seahawks shrugging, saying meh, and moving on with younger guys.

And Bennett is only a Seahawk because he was willing to take less to stay. The Bears offered him reportedly $34m and we offered $28m (though the guarantees were "close").

I think the Seahawks would have drawn the same line in the sand for Bennett, and we are just fortunate that he wanted to stay so badly.

HansGruber

Reaction score
HawkFan72":banm23dh said:
HansGruber":banm23dh said:

And Bennett is only a Seahawk because he was willing to take less to stay. The Bears offered him reportedly $34m and we offered $28m (though the guarantees were "close").

I think the Seahawks would have drawn the same line in the sand for Bennett, and we are just fortunate that he wanted to stay so badly.

*Shrug*

It is what it is.

I'm happy we were able to sign Bennett and think he'll have a bigger impact than Allen would have on the Seahawks. There's a reason Chicago went after Bennett so hard while ignoring Allen. And there's a reason Bennett signed with us.

I'd always prefer the guy who stays for less because he wants to win so badly over the guy who took a slightly better deal with a much worse team because of ego.

Chicago settled for Allen when he was the last decent option left in free agency. It's a head scratcher in the sense that he really doesn't improve the team much after losing Peppers. It's a slight improvement but not dramatic and they overpaid to get him. Bears FO has been inept for years.

An old college buddy and his wife are lifelong Bears fans so I emailed him and asked his opinion. He said the Bears have done this for years - they just want to sign a few big names every year to sell jerseys and tickets, and that fans in Chicago feel like the owners aren't serious about winning. They apparently need the money more. Sounds like a Mariners situation.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Not that I care anymore. But WTH is he talking about here. :229031_confused2: :34853_doh:

In a one-on-one with NFL Media's Stacey Dales, Allen explained why the Bears made sense.

"My process this whole time was that I really wanted to be thorough on what I did," he said. "I didn't want to just jump at the highest money. I didn't want to just try to pick who's going to win the Super Bowl.

"I wanted to make sure that a) they had a quarterback, because if you have a quarterback, you have a chance. B) it had to be scheme or system that I fit into, and c) I wanted to be with, and part of that being, would be believing in the system and believing in the staff that I'm playing for, and really being on the same page philosophically about what they're trying to accomplish."

bigtrain21

Reaction score
They cut off the quote. After that he said the money has to be right. I imagine we met all that criteria for him, the money was just much higher for Chicago.

Latest posts