Carroll says Jared Allen deal still pending - ALLEN TO BEARS

jblaze

Reaction score
HawkFan72":241fu3gz said:
jblaze":241fu3gz said:
HawkFan72":241fu3gz said:
Diezel Dawg":241fu3gz said:
So retire because he doesn't get what he "thinks" he is worth, and turn down $6m?LOL comical.

That's what I've been saying this whole time. $6m is a whole lot more than ZERO. Not sure I get his reasoning here.

It's not that difficult to understand. He doesn't need the money, he's made over 100m in contracts so far, what's another 6m to his quality of life? Nothing. It's all the other considerations that matter here.

I understand that we as peons can't understand why 6m isn't reason enough, but if you've made 12m/year for the past 6 years and now you hit the market and the best you can get is 6m when you had a 10m/3 year offer from Denver a week before, that would bother you. It's all about perspective and perceived respect.

For some reasons fans get so hung up on the money when it's not always about that, especially when you've already banked a ton of cash and are playing out the last few years of your career.

I get that. But when he says he is going to retire over the money issue it just sends a mixed message. "I'll play for $10m but not $6m. I'd rather have zero." Okay. If the money doesn't matter and you love the game, you play for $6m.

Same with the sacks issue. He wants to climb the all-time sacks list. But if the only offer he gets is a rotational role, he is going to retire. Last I checked, you'll get more sacks in a rotational role than you will sitting at home.

The logic just doesn't add up. You get some money and some sacks by playing. You get nothing if you retire. Either you want to play football or not.

I'm not even talking about signing with the Seahawks. If he goes somewhere else, at least it makes sense that he would choose to play SOMEWHERE rather than retiring. The whole retirement threat just is stupid to me because it would not allow him to meet any of his supposed goals (money and sacks).

Allen has said repeatedly in interviews that he would rather retire than be a situational pass rusher mercenary type playing on one year deals here and there. There is something to be said for having had your pay day and now you have the luxury of choosing where and what you want to do.

I also think a lot of this is posturing and about leverage. I still think he's waiting for someone to come out of the woodwork and offer him 10m/yr which won't happen.

A lot of these guys want to go out on their own terms so it's not about more is greater than zero, there's been plenty of cases of guys who stayed in too long and their legacy was tarnished and for nothing. Also your opinions about Seattle as a team and city are subjective, I doubt he cares much. He's also mentioned many times in interviews in the past that he would prefer to be on a team building something rather than going to an established team as a role player.

The guy has a huge ego and is mercurial to say the least. He's pretty crazy really so I don't put anything by him. He may retire just out of spite for the perceived lack of respect.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
6 million is a ton of money to us yahoos on here. But he's made his money, he's been smart with it, he has put his family in a position to live comfortably for generations.......

The NFL is terrible on your body, look at all the retired guys who can't walk, look at the junior seau situation, theres countless examples.

I totally understand it.

oh yeah... Get off my lawn. :th2thumbs:

MVP53

Reaction score
HawkFan72":33ktwd4r said:
jblaze":33ktwd4r said:
HawkFan72":33ktwd4r said:
Diezel Dawg":33ktwd4r said:
So retire because he doesn't get what he "thinks" he is worth, and turn down $6m?LOL comical.

That's what I've been saying this whole time. $6m is a whole lot more than ZERO. Not sure I get his reasoning here.

It's not that difficult to understand. He doesn't need the money, he's made over 100m in contracts so far, what's another 6m to his quality of life? Nothing. It's all the other considerations that matter here.

I understand that we as peons can't understand why 6m isn't reason enough, but if you've made 12m/year for the past 6 years and now you hit the market and the best you can get is 6m when you had a 10m/3 year offer from Denver a week before, that would bother you. It's all about perspective and perceived respect.

For some reasons fans get so hung up on the money when it's not always about that, especially when you've already banked a ton of cash and are playing out the last few years of your career.

I get that. But when he says he is going to retire over the money issue it just sends a mixed message. "I'll play for $10m but not $6m. I'd rather have zero." Okay. If the money doesn't matter and you love the game, you play for $6m.

Same with the sacks issue. He wants to climb the all-time sacks list. But if the only offer he gets is a rotational role, he is going to retire. Last I checked, you'll get more sacks in a rotational role than you will sitting at home.

The logic just doesn't add up. You get some money and some sacks by playing. You get nothing if you retire. Either you want to play football or not.

I'm not even talking about signing with the Seahawks. If he goes somewhere else, at least it makes sense that he would choose to play SOMEWHERE rather than retiring. The whole retirement threat just is stupid to me because it would not allow him to meet any of his supposed goals (money and sacks).

The thing with professional athletes is, they don't sit around and think about how overpaid they are, fans do. Jared Allen was making, what, $12M a year last year. I guarantee you he feels he was worth every single penny of that $12M. I guarantee he felt he put in $12M worth of work & effort & provided $12M worth of value to the Vikings. So, why would he put forth the same effort to make $6M?

If your employer told you they thought you weren't worth what you were being paid, and they were going to cut your salary in half, would you sit there & take it? I mean, after all, 50% of your salary is better than nothing? Now, figure you were only 6 months away from retirement anyway, would you still take a 50% pay cut?

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Rotational pass rush could extend his career and he could get even. More sacks because he will be more fresh

MVP53

Reaction score
Diezel Dawg":1x65h4wp said:
Rotational pass rush could extend his career and he could get even. More sacks because he will be more fresh

Depends on if he wants to extend his career. Do you want to cut your hours & pay in half so you can keep working longer?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Diezel Dawg":39niky77 said:

Players have to check their ego at the door to buy into this mentality, and let's face it Allen doesn't seem like that kind of player.

He's a high motor guy who thinks he can play 100% of the snaps and get 20 sacks a year............and he wants to get paid like that.

You're absolutely right, but selling it to a guy like Allen is tough. In his mind he wants to play as much as possible because he only wants to play for another 2-3 years. So to come into a "rotation" type team AND take less money? Voila, the holdup on him agreeing.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Am I the only one whose threads all of a sudden became like 50 posts per page????

HawkFan72

Reaction score
MVP53":2ro2xbjw said:
The thing with professional athletes is, they don't sit around and think about how overpaid they are, fans do. Jared Allen was making, what, $12M a year last year. I guarantee you he feels he was worth every single penny of that $12M. I guarantee he felt he put in $12M worth of work & effort & provided $12M worth of value to the Vikings. So, why would he put forth the same effort to make $6M?

If your employer told you they thought you weren't worth what you were being paid, and they were going to cut your salary in half, would you sit there & take it? I mean, after all, 50% of your salary is better than nothing? Now, figure you were only 6 months away from retirement anyway, would you still take a 50% pay cut?

But he's going to be making that $6m from a different employer.

I think you have to think of it this way:

You love your job. But your contract runs out and your employer says they won't be bringing you back.

So you can work for a few more years at half the salary if you want to, just because you love your job and you want to be the best in your field. Or you can retire.

It's not like the same employer says they are cutting your salary in half out of the blue.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Ziggyy108":godhv2z4 said:
Am I the only one whose threads all of a sudden became like 50 posts per page????
No, I think Anguish changed the forum default. Fewer overall page loads is probably reducing the load on the servers hosting .NET by like 10-15%, at a guess. Maybe even more.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2v7jq6v6 said:
Ziggyy108":2v7jq6v6 said:
No, I think Anguish changed the forum default. Fewer overall page loads is probably reducing the load on the servers hosting .NET by like 10-15%, at a guess. Maybe even more.

Ahh gotcha.

It's made it way harder to follow threads though haha. Just gotta get used to it.

jblaze

Reaction score
To be fair, this is the first time he's ever had the opportunity to be a free agent.

He's probably just hoping someone comes out of nowhere and offers him the 10m he thinks he should get. That or he's in no hurry because he's contemplating retirement.

We may not know the answer for a while.

JMR

Reaction score
Some of you guys may not believe it, but going through an NFL season takes a huge physical toll on a player's body. They are even exposed to serious injury! If only offered half of what they have been receiving in compensation, some players may decline and understandably so.

If Seattle is the only team with an offer, then it makes sense for Allen to wait. He's losing nothing by being prudent.

two dog

Reaction score
HansGruber":2a65gk4r said:
$6 million per, and he's gotta think about it? No wonder the guy is unemployed.

This......framed.

With the kind of money he's been making, the Seahawks offer must
feel like chump change, beneath his..you know..dignity.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Let's face this has to be about the money more than anything, right?

#1) With Health, continued Development, and a solid draft to shore up depth... I'd give a good chance the Seahawks will end up as a Top 5 Offense in PPG, and a great chance they'll stay with in the Top 10 in PPG.

Teams that have to pass to catch up and to score = great pass rush opportunities.

#2) Look at the Seahawks home schedule vs QBs this year:

Palmer
Schaub
Bradford
E. Manning
Kaepernick
Romo
P. Manning
A. Rodgers

We aren't exactly talking about the most elusive mobile QBs in the NFL here against our lightning quick defense and thundering 12th man.

#3) In 2014, 4 players shared the bulk of the load of snaps at DE. Clemons, Bryant, Avril, and Bennett.

With Clemons, Bryant, and Clinton McDonald gone, Bennett now has an even greater opportunity to get even more snaps inside than otherwise.

With Clemons and Bryant gone and Bennett getting more inside snaps there is no reason that Avril, Allen, and Bennett can all get 60-70% of the defensive snaps.

You can even start Bennett and Allen at DE in the base package and still keep a solid run defense perhaps you'd sub Gregg Scrugg in a Short Yardage/Goal Line role. Avril will get his opps with Bennett moving inside as well as subbing for Allen.

#4) 60-70% of Defensive Snaps for an Elite Pass-Rusher like Allen is more than enough to get 10-14 sacks even in a rotation.

A) Best 2ndary in the NFL
B) 8 Games with Best Crowd in the NFL
C) Best Pass Rusher of An Elite D-Line

Opps are going to be bountiful, you just have to compete and win the fatest path to the QB.

So, in conclusion... its all about the money.

Does Jared Allen want the chance to go for 12-16 sacks at 85%-95% of the snaps putting more wear and tear on his body for a lesser team getting around 8-9 million.

Or

Does Jared want the chance to go for 10-14 sacks at 60%-70% lowering wear and tear, fatigue, and keeping him fresher throughout the season for a Championship caliber... thus giving him a greater chance to play another season to rack up another 8-12 sacks but only playing for 6-7 million.

Either decision I am fine with, I would welcome him to the team with open arms, but he needs to decide soon and let the team get on with their team building process because if not Allen, I'll still contend that Shaun Phillips on a possible 1yr, 3-4 mil deal would be a great value for a guy who has had 19.5 sacks in his last 2 seasons.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3d64my5t said:
............because if not Allen, I'll still contend that Shaun Phillips on a possible 1yr, 3-4 mil deal would be a great value for a guy who has had 19.5 sacks in his last 2 seasons.
Agree, I like Phillips and think he has a year left in him. But no more than one year guaranteed money.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Heard on the radio 4 yr 32 mil. Glad we stayed out we got Bennett cheaper. Lol stupid bears.

theascension

Reaction score
15.5M guaranteed according to cbssports. Lol really? I mean yes Allen is still great for his age, but imagining him having 3 10+ sack years is hard. I can see 2 but 35 as a DE is really pushing it.
Glad we stuck with our offer, it would have been really nice to have gotten him on a 1 year 6-7M deal but glad we didn't pay those numbers.

Let's lock down Sherm/E.T!