Carson needs to be benched

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3h7pyhet said:
3 lost fumbles in 2 weeks.... unacceptable. He look bad this week except for one run where he was not touched for the first 17 yards.

Penny time!
Carson is gift wrapping Penny the start and Penny needs to literally: run with it.

Fade

Reaction score
Penny would fit really well in a Holmgren offense as his Alexander. Kind of like how they played today, with the quick passing game, and then going to the run as the changeup.

In a run first Peteball system, Penny can only be a situational guy as of now. Due to him being a boom or bust type of runner.

For Peteball to work you have to get 3 yards no matter what, and grind out those tough yards between the tackles. Carson is the better fit.

If they stick with the quick passing game like they did on Sunday, I am all for Penny getting more touches.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Fade":l4tuaz4r said:
Penny would fit really well in a Holmgren offense as his Alexander. Kind of like how they played today, with the quick passing game, and then going to the run as the changeup.

In a run first Peteball system, Penny can only be a situational guy as of now. Due to him being a boom or bust type of runner.

For Peteball to work you have to get 3 yards no matter what, and grind out those tough yards between the tackles. Carson is the better fit.

If they stick with the quick passing game like they did on Sunday, I am all for Penny getting more touches.
Penny runs a lot like Chris Warren. Penny can be wildly inconsistent though.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2rfn03e6 said:
Penny runs a lot like Chris Warren. Penny can be wildly inconsistent though.

I don't think Chris Warren is doing a lot of running at 52, and if he is, I hope Penny is doing it better.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I think Carson is wildly overrated here, but he definitely should not be benched. Not yet anyway. I think with how Penny was running today, and Carson's ball security issues the last two weeks, that Penny should be earning a bigger portion of the pie.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
Cut backs aren’t effective on grass surfaces. A few runs sure. Grass = downhill. Not penny or procises game location ideally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
More Penny is fine with me. He is starting to show you what he can do. It took him a year to adjust to your system. But you can see the speed and play making ability he has. I think you will use both. Carson is your pounder. Penny is your speed back with the home run threat. Both of those are useful to an NFL team.

But being here in San Diego I always knew Penny had elite athletic ability. If you can get 10 carries, 62 yards, 6.2 average and 1 TD imagine if you give him the ball more. The biggest problem I see is they always give Penny the ball like 10 - 12 times a game. Give it to him 20, 25, 30 times. That's more the back Penny is. The more you give him the ball the more he heats up and gives you big home run plays. He is not that type of back to get 10 carries and function super well with that. He needs a lot of carries and keeps getting better as the game goes on.

One of the most frustrating things to me was watching him get 8, 10, 12 carry games and people hating on him. That's not the back Penny is. Give it to him 30 times and you will see more than 1 of these big breakaway plays.

Now in fairness he was doing a lot different things in a much different system from what he was used to as a rookie last year. So IMO he was a bit confused. He seems more confident now in knowing what he is doing in your system.

But I personally NEVER doubted his athletic ability or impact as a home run threat. I would say you just need to get him the ball more. At least 20 carries. If you can't get him 25 - 30. Sometimes you will see 2 or 3 of those big breakaway runs if you get him the ball that much. Trust me on that.

But don't hate on Carson completely. He's actually a pretty good banger for the short yardage. The higher upside guy and more explosive guy with much better speed is Penny. Sometimes he shows you that. He will show you that more if you get him more carries.

:D

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
NOLAHawk":4pt95ei4 said:
Cut backs aren’t effective on grass surfaces. A few runs sure. Grass = downhill. Not penny or procises game location ideally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Penny played his College ball on grass here at San Diego State. The former Chargers stadium is where they play and it is grass. He was a super star there and had no problems making cut backs or any other types of runs. IMO he was a bit confused last year. Your system and even how you line him up is vastly different from what he did in College. But if you look at the history of the NFL it's actually not unusual for a rookie to be learning a bit and then be better the 2nd year. It's actually very common.

It's just in our instant microwave culture everybody wants everything yesterday. Things don't always work that way though.

Penny has no problem running on grass or turf. He can play super well on both. Grass was his home surface in College and he starred on it. IMO he is getting more comfortable in your system and feels more confident. He will continue to grow. He needs more carries than 10 a game. Penny is a 20, 25, 30 carries a game back. The more you give it to him the more big breakaway plays you will see. He will give you 2 or 3 of those big home run hitters a game if you give him the ball more. That's all he needs now.

Tical21

Reaction score
chris98251":3kd8g7h4 said:
Well DC's are listening to the Mediots evidently, daring Wilson to beat you passing is asking for a ass whooping, he does it coming from behind all the time and a line that keeps improving from revolving doors to at least trip hazards now.

Having a game plan to do it all game was going to hurt.

They don't have the secondary or days gone by to defend it, while our WR's are all unknowns except Lockett now as far as ability to perform in the league all of them that played had success today when given chances.
It wasn't really a gameplan as much as it is just the way PIttsburgh plays. Much as we're going to defiantly play our cover-3, they're going to be aggressive with their front-7. If you can function against it, they'll tip their cap, but any teams can't.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Carson was benched in junior College for fumble issues as well. Bound to continue as a pattern.

xray

Reaction score
If they benched every player that screwed up once in awhile ; that would be almost everyone including Wilson .

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Lowest run success rates among RBs with at least 9 attempts (From
@SharpFootball
):

1) Kenyan Drake - 20%
2) Gio Bernard - 20%
3) Kalen Ballage - 22%
4) Miles Sanders - 24%
5) Chris Carson - 33%

Highest run success rates among RBs with at least 9 attempts (From
@SharpFootball
):

1) Carlos Hyde - 78%
2) Malcolm Brown - 69%
3) Saquon - 64%
4) Rashaad Penny - 62%
5) Alvin Kamara - 61%

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Benched no, but definitely more pressure/focus on ball security.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I think this can be remedied by giving Penny/Prosise some more carries and going with more quick passes. But Carson is still our #1 RB.

toffee

Reaction score
If Penny can demonstrate that he could run in between tacklea, AND, he could break tackles, he will be the starting RB. So far, he hasn't.

tonyseahawk

Reaction score
"Carson needs to be benched"
Stupid post. By exactly the person you'd expect. Gtfo
Penny played hard. Ran hard. Looked good. Even great at times. If he replaces Carson at some point, then good, that means he's a better back than Carson. But he's not right now. Carson will start next week, and imthescientist can just pretype his predictable post in case he trips or something. Yawn

Hawknballs

Reaction score
sure yes bench him, the next time Russ throws two INTs in two games i guess we should probably sit him for Geno.

xray

Reaction score
If Wilson threw 3 interceptions in 2 weeks should he be benched ? Oh..but that's different right ?