Carson Ran into a Loaded Box on 57.9% of his carries #1

chris98251

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3lcrlrdd said:
Uncle Si":3lcrlrdd said:
Patriots ran really well against the Chiefs (and Chargers).

But thats also to your point about flexibility.

The Pats ran enough to make KC respect the run but no more than that. I thought they were brilliant in the way they took what KC offered up defensively for the run.

Michal had over a 100 yards and Burkheart was running well when he was in, they made them respect the run and then dissected the wings and middle of the field, if Patterson could only catch the ball they would have blown the doors open.

Tinymac2

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2cdedojr said:
Uncle Si":2cdedojr said:
Patriots ran really well against the Chiefs (and Chargers).

But thats also to your point about flexibility.

The Pats ran enough to make KC respect the run but no more than that. I thought they were brilliant in the way they took what KC offered up defensively for the run.

48 carries. You know that, right?

ivotuk

Reaction score
John63":1tk8dljm said:
Tamerlane":1tk8dljm said:
The original data source, nextgenstats, seems to directly contradict the statement in the article. This summarizes the relevant stats and paints a very different picture:

"Altogether, Seattle has the 9th LOWEST stacked box run rate in the league (17.1%):
https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/ ... 1602401281

Individually, the three main Seattle RBs run into 8+ boxes the 5th, 7th and 27th LEAST out of 55 runners charted here:
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/rush ... -defenders"

That's interesting however we must first find out what the original article's definition of a loaded box.

The Nextgen is 8+ which means more than 8. So I guess both could be true depending on the definitions.

8+ is exactly what it means. 8 plus means Eight or more. Such as, 8.0000000001.

Still, Defenses don't play a whole lot more players than 8 in the box. Somebody of the other 3 defensive players has to cover the pass.

And I'm with Chris on this one. I LOVE being able to run it down people's throat even when they know it's coming.

Remember, this was the first year of a rebuilt offense. Don't expect perfection. And, we were successful running the ball in spite of a new OLine and Offensive coach.

For people asking us to pass more, I ask, to who? A wounded ADB? 3 other guys no one can name? Or maybe one of those injured right ends? Remember what happened to our passing game the first two games of the season? Russell was getting obliterated.

And don't spout those passing efficiency ratings to me. The only reason they were so good was because defenses HAD to respect the run.

Give these coaches a break. They took a jumbled up team and made them look good. Had Will Dissly not gottten injured, this would have been a whole different season.

John63

Reaction score
ivotuk":11lcw7hk said:
John63":11lcw7hk said:
Tamerlane":11lcw7hk said:
The original data source, nextgenstats, seems to directly contradict the statement in the article. This summarizes the relevant stats and paints a very different picture:

"Altogether, Seattle has the 9th LOWEST stacked box run rate in the league (17.1%):
https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/ ... 1602401281

Individually, the three main Seattle RBs run into 8+ boxes the 5th, 7th and 27th LEAST out of 55 runners charted here:
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/rush ... -defenders"

That's interesting however we must first find out what the original article's definition of a loaded box.

The Nextgen is 8+ which means more than 8. So I guess both could be true depending on the definitions.

8+ is exactly what it means. 8 plus means Eight or more. Such as, 8.0000000001.

Still, Defenses don't play a whole lot more players than 8 in the box. Somebody of the other 3 defensive players has to cover the pass.

And I'm with Chris on this one. I LOVE being able to run it down people's throat even when they know it's coming.

Remember, this was the first year of a rebuilt offense. Don't expect perfection. And, we were successful running the ball in spite of a new OLine and Offensive coach.

For people asking us to pass more, I ask, to who? A wounded ADB? 3 other guys no one can name? Or maybe one of those injured right ends? Remember what happened to our passing game the first two games of the season? Russell was getting obliterated.

And don't spout those passing efficiency ratings to me. The only reason they were so good was because defenses HAD to respect the run.

Give these coaches a break. They took a jumbled up team and made them look good. Had Will Dissly not gottten injured, this would have been a whole different season.

LOL If you say so, I mean ignore all the facts, that contradict what you just said. Be happy with being one and done in the playoffs. If you are so sure the efficiency numbers were only good due to the run game, then I presume you are not for signing Wilson, after all, it was not him it was the run game. The reality is if we don't pass more, and I am not saying only pass or anything like that, I am saying just pass more, we wil lnto get to the SB anytime soon. If you can't see that I am sorry for you. Also, let me remind you Wilson had great efficiency numbers in 2015 with no run game, you know when they changed to the uptempo offense. He had over 4k yards, 68 complt%, 8.2 ypa, 34 tds, 110 Qb rating, and over 500 yards rushing. SO sorry but yea I can bring them up, we have shown we can do it passing more, but it requires some tweaks, tweaks they don't want to make right now, which is a shame. I am glad you love wanting to run even when they know it is coming, I love winning more, and that run at all cost philosophy cost us a playoff game. and almost many others if not for allowing the passing game to work wonders in the 4th qtr. We passed 26 times a games, all I am saying is lets move that up to 30 and not wait so long to adjust. Anyone who understands the game, should understand doing that. Let's remember Pete himself said we should have thrown more and sooner in the Dallas playoff game so there is somethign there.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
John63":2vb2vw5w said:
Be happy with being one and done in the playoffs.

I really, really hate this logic. There are 6-8 great teams that make the playoffs every year. Only one can win it all. Does that mean there is one great team and the rest are fundamentally flawed? Not really. Just means that NFL rules force one to lose eventually.

The measure of a solid team is, you make the playoffs. Beyond that, it's a new season.[/quote]

John63":2vb2vw5w said:
Also, let me remind you Wilson had great efficiency numbers in 2015 with no run game, you know when they changed to the uptempo offense.

By your own logic, the fact that we didn't win the Super Bowl that year means that 2015's playbook was inadequate, too. One could even look at the Panthers game that ended that season and deduce that putting the game in Wilson's hands...MIGHT not have been the best idea? He has in fact been a very mixed bag as a postseason performer.

Also, 2015's offense wasn't "up-tempo". You say that because it's the popular assumption to think "high-volume" must be up-tempo, but in reality, we took our sweet time getting to the huddle most of 2015 just as we do every other season, and for the same reason: to chew the clock.

2015's offense was different because it incorporated some spread concepts and changed the route designs up a bit. It also had pre-injury Thomas Rawls taking the pressure off Wilson.

chris98251

Reaction score
and that run at all cost philosophy cost us a playoff game

Disagree, depth and injuries cost us that game more then anything. It made us less flexible in our calls, Doug playing with 4 injuries and no Fant to block as a TE as well.

John63

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1puqjt8s said:
John63":1puqjt8s said:
Be happy with being one and done in the playoffs.

I really, really hate this logic. There are 6-8 great teams that make the playoffs every year. Only one can win it all. Does that mean there is one great team and the rest are fundamentally flawed? Not really. Just means that NFL rules force one to lose eventually.

The measure of a solid team is, you make the playoffs. Beyond that, it's a new season.

John63":1puqjt8s said:
Also, let me remind you Wilson had great efficiency numbers in 2015 with no run game, you know when they changed to the uptempo offense.

By your own logic, the fact that we didn't win the Super Bowl that year means that 2015's playbook was inadequate, too. One could even look at the Panthers game that ended that season and deduce that putting the game in Wilson's hands...MIGHT not have been the best idea? He has in fact been a very mixed bag as a postseason performer.

Also, 2015's offense wasn't "up-tempo". You say that because it's the popular assumption to think "high-volume" must be up-tempo, but in reality, we took our sweet time getting to the huddle most of 2015 just as we do every other season, and for the same reason: to chew the clock.

2015's offense was different because it incorporated some spread concepts and changed the route designs up a bit. It also had pre-injury Thomas Rawls taking the pressure off Wilson.[/quote]

Exactly the point change some of the offense to open up the pass game more.