Cary Williams situation not very "seahawk-y"

bbsplitter

Reaction score
First of all, I am not trying to add to the outright negativity going around, but the Seahawks are not acting like themselves with Cary Williams. Like Percy Harvin, they overpaid. Unlike Percy Harvin, they do not seem ready to a dress it as a mistake and at least let him ride the bench for a while. Truth is that he has had some horrible games, and the Seahawks of old would have had him on the bench after the first half - because always compete and the next man is ready to step up. I'm not saying Cary Williams won't turn it around - he very well might. But it seems like there is no competition or threat to his position.

smerfy01

Reaction score
We have no one to put in for him. Who the hell are we gonna put in to cover that side?

Jeremy Lane is on IR. Tharold Simon is Mr. Glass. who's left? you wanna put Tukuafu in there?

hawk45

Reaction score
Seems unfair Bailey got his walking papers for having the type of game Williams has routinely.

Burnplant

Reaction score
Unlike Bailey, Williams was a known garbage fire from the Ravens and a Eagles. Friends who were fans of those teams laughed and warned when Pete and John overpaid for Williams.

But no other options. Worst move of the Pc era

massari

Reaction score
Burnplant":j9z2bgfg said:
Unlike Bailey, Williams was a known garbage fire from the Ravens and a Eagles. Friends who were fans of those teams laughed and warned when Pete and John overpaid for Williams.

I think the Harvin move was worse, given they gave up a 1st+3rd+7th for him.

Trading down to pick C.Michael instead of staying put to pick Eddie Lacy was pretty bad too.

checkdanews

Reaction score
smerfy01":xigh4kan said:
we have no one to put in for him. who the hell are we gonna put in to cover that side?

jeremy lane is on IR. tharold simon is Mr. Glass. who's left? you wanna put Tukuafu in there?

+1 for Tuku....just have him run at the wide reciever full speed while screaming DIIEEEEE every play...sure we will get some flags but by the second half most the opposing WR's are probably gonna be hurt...imagine that giant man running at you full speed screaming IMA MURDER YOUUUUUU!!!...i wouldn't want none of that

smerfy01

Reaction score
massari":2p6uww6q said:
Burnplant":2p6uww6q said:

I think the Harvin move was worse, given they gave up a 1st+3rd+7th for him.

Trading down to pick C.Michael instead of staying put to pick Eddie Lacy was pretty bad too.

except Harvin wasn't an extremely important part of our team. our starting corner opposite Sherman is WAY more important.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I am confused by the confusion.

CJ was a known commodity the moment we got him. It wasn't like he was a young player that just needed to learn and get better. He was a vet with plenty of bad habits that we inexplicably believed we could fix. Which is stupid, bad habits are called habits for a reason - they are things you do repeatedly.

It isn't like I had to be psychic to see he was going to be a bad acquisition. I just had to see all the other games he played in the past few years.

He is going to be a liability for as long as we have him, so hopefully we get Lane or Burley or Shead or some guy who sells popcorn to play starting corner instead.

Funny thing is that normally people would be blaming him more but Bevell is such a disaster most people overlook the disasterous play at corner, mainly because not every mistake gets taken advantage of.

hawk45

Reaction score
They were living off of Williams for their first downs whether he was involved on TDs or not. Should have had another 50 yard awful penalty. He is trash.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Burnplant":3bnna4qu said:

Charlie Whitehurst.

Drops mic.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":31f7oibv said:
Hasselbeck":31f7oibv said:
So which touchdown did he give up today?

Your defense of him is admirable, but ultimately he's just going to let you down. I'd get out while you can.

Not saying he's great, or even good.. just blows my mind how hes the one that gets the brunt of the hate when it was Sherman and Thomas that blew it in the end.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":240yzlo5 said:
SomersetHawk":240yzlo5 said:
Hasselbeck":240yzlo5 said:

Your defense of him is admirable, but ultimately he's just going to let you down. I'd get out while you can.

Not saying he's great, or even good.. just blows my mind how hes the one that gets the brunt of the hate when it was Sherman and Thomas that blew it in the end.

I'll give you that. But it's hard to be critical of Earl, one of the only ones who looks to truly give a damn nowadays.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":10ysrccl said:

Even the talking heads were saying how the game plan was go after Cary, it's just reality, he's the weakest link, whether he gives up the td or not today isn't the point it's that he's constantly the one giving up the yards and big plays or is on the verge of taking the costly penalty...you're not gonna get 2 top end corners out there but you need somebody who is making them work. At best his ability to make a play on the ball is horrid, he's not absolutely out of position every time but his ability to do something when the balls in the air doesn't exist. Catch and tackle, Jennings retread.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
flmmkrz":1sf592ll said:
Hasselbeck":1sf592ll said:

Even the talking heads were saying how the game plan was go after Cary, it's just reality, he's the weakest link, whether he gives up the td or not today isn't the point it's that he's constantly the one giving up the yards and big plays or is on the verge of taking the costly penalty...you're not gonna get 2 top end corners out there but you need somebody who is making them work. At best his ability to make a play on the ball is horrid, he's not absolutely out of position every time but his ability to do something when the balls in the air doesn't exist. Catch and tackle, Jennings retread.

Is that so? Cause the only "big plays" I saw given up today weren't on the side of #26.

I guess when someone catches a pass on Sherman, or a LB/S out of position, or Shead, etc.. its Cary Williams fault.

Got it :th2thumbs:

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
I think the biggest problem with Cary Williams is that he is a hired gun. Part of the legend of the LOB is that all of the incumbent and previous members had to earn their right to be there. I just don't see any chemistry with Williams and the rest, and it may even be affecting the chemistry between the other three at this point.

Not sure that is something that can be fixed this season, unfortunately.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
We would not have needed Carry Williams if our developmental prospect, Tharold Simon, did not prove to be injury prone. He played great for the entire regular season last year, then gets hurt again and plays like hot garbage. There was no way they were going to be able to rely on Simon this season. Thankfully, they did not. Instead of complaining about a player who is actually playing reasonably well, perhaps we should be commending the team for their foresight. Without the Williams signing, we might now have a rookie starting at cornerback.

Williams is very much a "Seahawk-y" player: aggressive man coverage (sometime too aggressive) and ability to contest a jump ball, 33" arms, and great athleticism for his size with 4.4 speed. I hate to think where we would be without him.

This board is falling into the same boring trap it always does, which is to blame what is new or the unknown, without actually putting any modicum of brain power into independently analyzing the situation. That is our groupthink.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2gx4bfg2 said:
flmmkrz":2gx4bfg2 said:
Hasselbeck":2gx4bfg2 said:

Is that so? Cause the only "big plays" I saw given up today weren't on the side of #26.

I guess when someone catches a pass on Sherman, or a LB/S out of position, or Shead, etc.. its Cary Williams fault.

Got it :th2thumbs:
Agreed! Blows me away how we attack the new guy. The only guys I saw on the last TD were Kam, Sherman and Thomas?

Latest posts