Champions League 2013

Gatehawk

Reaction score
I went into the game knowing that their only chance to turn the tie around was to play with the same intensity from the first 35 minutes of the 1st leg, but for the full 90. Honestly, this tie lost all it's potential when Szczesny was sent off. Because what we saw at the Allianz Arena was maybe what could've happened at the Emirates had it remained 11v11 there, I don't know, it's all "what if's" now.

Gatehawk

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":346c1jof said:
Fabianski is better than Szczesny IMO. Maybe not a UCL level keeper, but better.

I would say Fabianski and Szczesny are near mirror images of each other(not because they're both Polish). The key difference being Szczesny's habit of taking risks(normally to the point you start screaming "WHAT IN GOD'S NAME ARE YOU DOING WOJCIECH!?!?") most keepers would never even think of attempting in their entire careers. I've actually started reffering to it as Szczesnying, it's a stupid term, I know, but you understand what I mean by it right?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised at the shift in media coverage extolling Arsenal's performance yesterday. Lots of reflection on the pride and effort they showed.

The first half alone Bayern completed 300 more passes than Arsenal yet took just 7 shots.

Seemed more like a cat toying with a mouse. I'm not ripping Arsenal here. I think they had to sit and wait and try counters. But to suggest Arsenals performance somehow is a confidence boost to a title run is a bit much. Sure they weren't blown away...but neither did Bayern really try and dismantle them neither

Just odd...

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1cyw1zpr said:
I'm a bit surprised at the shift in media coverage extolling Arsenal's performance yesterday. Lots of reflection on the pride and effort they showed.

The first half alone Bayern completed 300 more passes than Arsenal yet took just 7 shots.

Seemed more like a cat toying with a mouse. I'm not ripping Arsenal here. I think they had to sit and wait and try counters. But to suggest Arsenals performance somehow is a confidence boost to a title run is a bit much. Sure they weren't blown away...but neither did Bayern really try and dismantle them neither

Just odd...

Know why Bayern didn't blow Arsenal out of the water? They didn't have to.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":2sqe640z said:
Uncle Si":2sqe640z said:

Just odd...

Know why Bayern didn't blow Arsenal out of the water? They didn't have to.

that was my thought watching the game. now i stopped after Bayerns goal, so I'm sure some reaction from Arsenal took place, but at that point the game was truly well in hand.

seemed a "professional" performance by one team against another who could do little about it. And yet sure enough, Arsenal apologists are all over the silver lining today.

I dont know, maybe its just not worth reading about footy anymore. there doesnt seem to be an objective thought out there.

Gatehawk

Reaction score
So all you guys seemed to see was Bayern not killing off the tie because they didn't want to, not because Arsenal gave them very little opportunity to do so. Remember this is the same club that ran over Barcelona 7-0 on Aggregate a year ago. The least you can do is give Arsenal a sliver of credit for some parts of their performance, it clearly wasn't the performance me and other Arsenal fans optimistically hoped for, but you make it seem like, until Bayern scored, the Gunners did nothing at all.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":2rgxwjms said:
So all you guys seemed to see was Bayern not killing off the tie because they didn't want to, not because Arsenal gave them very little opportunity to do so. Remember this is the same club that ran over Barcelona 7-0 on Aggregate a year ago. The least you can do is give Arsenal a sliver of credit for some parts of their performance, it clearly wasn't the performance me and other Arsenal fans optimistically hoped for, but you make it seem like, until Bayern scored, the Gunners did nothing at all.

read the post... I did give them a sliver of credit. The point was not to discredit Arsenal. Why bother, they lost. The point was to question how Arsenal are getting credit for not losing badly when they clearly allowed Bayern to take the game to them. Bayern just played it professionally. Arsenal didnt muster much of anything prior to the goal.

I dont think they deserve much more. Bayern had near 70% of the ball over the first 65 minutes. They gave up just one header from Giroud on a corner. Bayern completed nearly 400 more (MORE) passes than Arsenal leading up to the goal, shots were 11-3. Scoring chances 7-1. All before Bayern killed the tie off with the goal. Compare that to the first game, prior to the red card. Or even last year.

Even after the goal, Arsenal were lauded for their response. Why? they did little, then Podolski clearly shoved Lahm leading to Arsenal's one good chance (this isnt a question either. even he looked up to the ref waiting for the whistle... he got away with it, and scored well. Its soccer.). Robben is a diving twat. Awful little man. But Bayern still should have scored 2-3 more times after Podolski's goal. Manduzick is playing himself right behing Lewandowski with misses like that.

Like I said, Ox was great. the back line deserve some credit for hanging in there (although Bayern was considerably non-chalant in the attack... every time they got into good scoring range they looked for that extra dink pass or cute threaded ball. was disappointing really).

It just wasnt a compelling game. If Arsenal fans want to gleen hope from such a performance so be it. Its your club. I just didnt see much worth writing articles extolling Arsenals "fight" (except of course "well, we werent embarrassed..").

outpassed by 400... thats a training session not a champs league match

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
How did Liverpool get on in the Champions League this season?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2h5bme0c said:

more brilliance...

you're on fire. like a hooker's twat

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2e87j23o said:
UK_Seahawk":2e87j23o said:

more brilliance...

you're on fire. like a hooker's twat

Sounds like you're quite the expert.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
As for ripping on my team, they are top of their division and are in a Wembley final to played at the end of this month. Best of all I actually get to see them play live.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3itltgx9 said:
LOL

LDV Vans trophy? Whatever helps you sleep at night, big lad. Top of League 2 is hardly worth shouting about. Especially when Rochdale have a game in hand.

It's all relative. Chesterfield aren't a big club. I'd rather watch a small club do well than a big club that underachieves year after year.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2eirbhhw said:
peachesenregalia":2eirbhhw said:
LOL

LDV Vans trophy? Whatever helps you sleep at night, big lad. Top of League 2 is hardly worth shouting about. Especially when Rochdale have a game in hand.

It's all relative. Chesterfield aren't a big club. I'd rather watch a small club do well than a big club that underachieves year after year.

id suggest Liverpool are overachieving by a big shout this season...

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3np8mybk said:
UK_Seahawk":3np8mybk said:
peachesenregalia":3np8mybk said:
LOL

For that to be accurate you would have to admit that Liverpool are not a big Premiership club and I've not met a single Liverpool fan who thinks that.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":113s5sin said:
Uncle Si":113s5sin said:
UK_Seahawk":113s5sin said:
peachesenregalia":113s5sin said:
LOL

For that to be accurate you would have to admit that Liverpool are not a big Premiership club and I've not met a single Liverpool fan who thinks that.

to be honest I could care if they're "big" or not. but what does one have to do with the other? Are United not a big Premier club? Clubs struggle. Especially in the modern game. even big ones. table location cant always indicate "big". Doesnt take much to unbalance a side.

Remember, Liverpool have spent nearly as much as City and Chelsea over the last 3 years trying to get out of the rut. And more than United and Arsenal. They just did it poorly.

They've the largest international fan base of any club in the world and an ownership base that owns the most popular baseball franchise in the US.

Its been a painful three years. But a new philosophy seems to have set things straight.

I guess the question then is what constitutes "big?"

and why would people care either way?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
The league table is a reflection of the club's performance over the season. The perception of the Liverpool fanbase is that they should be challenging for the title (based on resources, fanbase, facilities and history) whether they can realistically do this is moot, it's all about the expectation. They continually fall short and thus they underachieve against expectation.

Liverpool fans are largely arrogant based on the successes they had years ago which makes them the EPL equivalent of the 49ers.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2u5vziy4 said:
The league table is a reflection of the club's performance over the season. The perception of the Liverpool fanbase is that they should be challenging for the title (based on resources, fanbase, facilities and history) whether they can realistically do this is moot, it's all about the expectation. They continually fall short and thus they underachieve against expectation.

Liverpool fans are largely arrogant based on the successes they had years ago which makes them the EPL equivalent of the 49ers.

and that is a bit of an generalization and assumption on your part, and a common cop out by many.

First, the club has been massively successful despite the ascension of United, Chelsea and City

and I guess I dont see the issue in the fact Liverpool fans expect to challenge for titles. If the club underperforms the blame is placed where it should. How is it bad that a fan base would expect those types of things? Chelsea fans do. United fans do. City fans are beginning to. Do Liverpool fans hold on a little tighter to their history? Sure they do, for good reason. they were arguably the best club in the world over a 20 year spell. These rivalries are ancient. Reflecting back on glory days (as a fan) is natural.

Isnt that what fans of big clubs do, expect to win? United fans certainly expected more from their team this season despite all signs pointing south. Arsenal fans want a title, despite knowing top 4 is always the clubs goal.

I'd imagine Seahawk fans will start expecting their team to compete for titles every year as well. Now, when Liverpool fans start beaming about being the "better" club because of their history.... thats a bit different (thats a 49er fan). But bigger and better are not the same thing now are they

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":33a0q0l9 said:
UK_Seahawk":33a0q0l9 said:

LOLWUT. What do you call United fans then? Arsehole.

United fans to be fair have had recent success to be arrogant about. Liverpool in comparison havent.