Chance we can get Anderson or Carter if Bears trade pick?

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score

With the increased rumors of Bears liking trading down it seems the chances one of the two elite D lineman will fall to us has increased.

Obviously it will depends on who trades with the bears but let's assume its a team like the raiders or panthers thats already outside the top 5. They will almost certainly take Bryce Young. Texans then will likely take Stroud or Levis. Cardinals will tale Anderson or Carter. Colts will probably take the remaining of Levis and Stroud.

Obviously a lot can change but it doesnt seem too outlandish one of the two could drop to us. Thoughts?

Ozzy

Reaction score
I will be shocked if Carter or Anderson isn't there at 5. I think 3 QB's go before us. Young, Stroud are locks and Levis may be as well. Then you have the report that multiple teams have Richardson as the #2 behind young this past weekend.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Bears trading out of #1 would be huge for us getting Anderson or Carter.

That would leave only the Cardinals ahead of us not drafting a QB.

But knowing John, he'd use that as leverage to also trade down with another team wanting to draft a QB at 5. So who knows.

Seahawker

Reaction score
I just don't like Anderson & Carter in the top five, they seem more like projects at the next level than some players slated below them.

Jalen Carter. I just don't think his stats over the last two years are dominating enough, also I read somewhere that his work ethic might be questionable or suspect. That for me, if true, is a deal breaker for any player in any round unless that issue is completely resolved.
Also Carter has chosen not to participate in workouts at the combine. He has elected to only take part in interviews & the physical, he will wait until March 15 at Georgia's pro day to work out.
Also "Mel Kyper :rolleyes: " said about Carter, "He's the best player in this draft, a day one starter in the middle of this defense."
Todd McShay made a comment in December that Carter has "character issues that could hurt him in the draft."

Will Anderson. He is at least 20lbs light & is not the complete package he has been marketed as projecting to the NFL.
He only had 10 sacks last year and will struggle against NFL OT's. Likes to lunge & leave his feet to make tackles leading to a high rate of missed tackles. Doesn't have a go-to outside move that he consistently wins with and lacks top tier bend to turn a tight corner at the top of outside rushes. Color me not excited to draft Bruce Irvin 2.0 at #5.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Todd McShay made a comment in December that Carter has "character issues that could hurt him in the draft."

You mean like buying meals with his own scholarship money for walk on players?

You do understand that all these high profile NFL "experts" are all in the back pockets of agents, players and GM's. So when you hear crap like this, it usually means teams, agents and GM's who are interested in Carter put out negative comments about him trying to affect the player's draft stock.

Carter's a beast, and we'd be lucky to get him at #5.

Seahawker

Reaction score
You mean like buying meals with his own scholarship money for walk on players?

You do understand that all these high profile NFL "experts" are all in the back pockets of agents, players and GM's. So when you hear crap like this, it usually means teams, agents and GM's who are interested in Carter put out negative comments about him trying to affect the player's draft stock.

Carter's a beast, and we'd be lucky to get him at #5.
I won't argue the kids work ethic or character further, I don't personally know him but he's not applying for a job at the local feed store...
I stand by my position that his college stats are underwhelming, was not a man amongst boys, but will soon have his chance to perform against seasoned NFL lineman. Nice that he helped some walk on's.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I won't argue the kids work ethic or character further, I don't personally know him but he's not applying for a job at the local feed store...
I stand by my position that his college stats are underwhelming, was not a man amongst boys, but will soon have his chance to perform against seasoned NFL lineman. Nice that he helped some walk on's.

If you're looking at purely stats, then you have to take into account snaps. Carter was on arguably the deepest D-line in all of college football the past 3-4 years, and only played in roughly half the snaps, just over 1,000 in his career.

To put that in perspective, that's half the snaps that Will Anderson took in the same time period (over 2,000 snaps).

So I don't put as much stock in his stat sheet. Dude was disruptive and an absolute beast in both the run and passing game. Which is very rare nowadays with D-lineman. They're either/or most of the time.

So when you have a chance to get an every down disrupter like Carter? IMO you take it.

toffee

Reaction score
I just don't like Anderson & Carter in the top five, they seem more like projects at the next level than some players slated below them.

Jalen Carter. I just don't think his stats over the last two years are dominating enough, also I read somewhere that his work ethic might be questionable or suspect. That for me, if true, is a deal breaker for any player in any round unless that issue is completely resolved.
Also Carter has chosen not to participate in workouts at the combine. He has elected to only take part in interviews & the physical, he will wait until March 15 at Georgia's pro day to work out.
Also "Mel Kyper :rolleyes: " said about Carter, "He's the best player in this draft, a day one starter in the middle of this defense."

Will Anderson. He is at least 20lbs light & is not the complete package he has been marketed as projecting to the NFL.
He only had 10 sacks last year and will struggle against NFL OT's. Likes to lunge & leave his feet to make tackles leading to a high rate of missed tackles. Doesn't have a go-to outside move that he consistently wins with and lacks top tier bend to turn a tight corner at the top of outside rushes. Color me not excited to draft Bruce Irvin 2.0 at #5.
Interesting takes, who's your defense picks?

toffee

Reaction score
Pardon me for some cold water here on 'can't miss' draft prospects, even the brightest got fooled sometimes:

Luke Joeckel couldn't play tackle, not much good as guard also. I think Luke was draft 2nd overall.
On January 8, 2013, Joeckel announced his decision to forgo his final year of eligibility.[19] According to CBS Sports, Joeckel lacks the "natural tools" of the 2012 fourth overall pick Matt Kalil, but "is considered the more polished lineman out of the college ranks."[20] NFL.com analysts Gil Brandt, Brian Billick, Scott Pioli, and Charles Davis predicted that Joeckel would be the No. 1 pick.[21] In late January, Sports Illustrated also projected Joeckel to be the No. 1 selection.

Robert Gallery was another can't miss prospect, fooled Al Davis too, another 2nd overall pick.
Gallery was selected with the second overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft by the Oakland Raiders. He was regarded as "the best lineman to come out of college in years",[2] with a perfect 9.0 Draft Prospect Rating, the highest for any offensive lineman.[3]

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Want to take a short,skinny and fragile QB with the 5th pick
I know nothing will go wrong with it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
"Only had 10 sacks last year"

Gee, that's it? A top-10 sack total in the nation? After a 17.5 sack season and a 7 sack season before that?

Also, you copy and pasted that scouting report from Bleacher Report. That same scouting report lists him as the number 1 overall prospect.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Interesting takes, who's your defense picks?
If you look at my "Best Player in the Draft Mock" I like Mazi Smith at #20 and then Keeanu Benton, Gervon Dexter or Siaki Ika as a later pick. I need to study the LBers more but I'd draft two. I think our highest priorities to compete with the 9ers again (having limited resources) is 2 DT's, 2 Lbers and a center. A pass rusher would be nice but so many bust & we don't have a good track record with DE's.
Also I see RB Robinson paired with KW3 as defense in keeping offenses off the field, more 1st down conversions and increased time of possession. I don't want limousine riders who've been constantly told how great they are with fat new checkbooks. I want lunch bucket guys with high work ethic, drive and a huge love of the game, players with humility & fire that will spend their careers trying to prove they belong in the league. Its called a chip on their shoulder, its called a competitive nature & for some it doesn't wane.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Also, isn't Anderson listed at 243?

That's not 20 pounds underweight for a stand-up rusher/OLB. Those guys play around 250.
Its all good friend, if you want a stand up pass rusher (edge) guy at #5 after watching that run D last year then that's your opinion.
Like I've said, I don't want Bruce Irvin 2.0 at #5. We can't solve it all this offseason, I'm just trying to stop the bleeding & get us back into contention. We need every down DE's worse than guys who lacked the skills to make it at linebacker or couldn't hold up at DE.

12th Dimension

Reaction score
Indy would be the team trading up, most likely. Someone is going to move into the Cards pick at 3, and Indy won’t want to be aced out, imho. 4 to 1 is doable.

Things will be clearer after the combine.

GemCity

Reaction score
Their willingness to trade down signifies something in addition to the value they’ll get for doing so.

They need D-linemen…appear intent on letting Fields keep the reigns. Perhaps they’re thinking that there are some other plays on par with Carter and/or Anderson? Maybe, guys they have being better than those two.

This draft has me on edge…

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
As a Bears/Seahawks fan, I follow this very closely. The Bears are going to trade with Texans or Colts I’m betting and take whichever one Cards don’t take. Hawks would need to trade up to #3 or pray the Cards trade down with some team looking for QB. There are other scenarios, but they’re all long shots.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Its all good friend, if you want a stand up pass rusher (edge) guy at #5 after watching that run D last year then that's your opinion.
Like I've said, I don't want Bruce Irvin 2.0 at #5. We can't solve it all this offseason, I'm just trying to stop the bleeding & get us back into contention. We need every down DE's worse than guys who lacked the skills to make it at linebacker or couldn't hold up at DE.
Stand up rushers have always been part of Seattle's defense, though. The Leo position has always been there. This includes prolonged stretches of being the best run defense around.

Will Anderson and Bruce Irvin aren't the same player.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
As a Bears/Seahawks fan, I follow this very closely. The Bears are going to trade with Texans or Colts I’m betting and take whichever one Cards don’t take. Hawks would need to trade up to #3 or pray the Cards trade down with some team looking for QB. There are other scenarios, but they’re all long shots.

The Raiders, Panthers and Falcons are also in the mix to trade up. It'd take more draft capital from them, but it's still a feasible scenario as they all pick right after us and all need a QB.

Really the question here is are three QB's going to be picked before the Hawks, or just two. If it's three then the Hawks are golden for Anderson or Carter. If it's two? No way either are there at 5.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
The Raiders, Panthers and Falcons are also in the mix to trade up. It'd take more draft capital from them, but it's still a feasible scenario as they all pick right after us and all need a QB.

Really the question here is are three QB's going to be picked before the Hawks, or just two. If it's three then the Hawks are golden for Anderson or Carter. If it's two? No way either are there at 5.
That’s another way of saying what I said. Cards need to trade down to somebody who is looking for a QB. But it’s going to be as hard for them to bypass Anderson/Carter as it is for the Bears.