Chance we can get Anderson or Carter if Bears trade pick?

WarHawks

Reaction score
Stranger things have happened. Top players fall all the time. But if Geno signs elsewhere, it's a moot point isn't it?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Stranger things have happened. Top players fall all the time. But if Geno signs elsewhere, it's a moot point isn't it?
You may well be right, but then again I'm thinking that they might see Drew Lock as good enough to compete & to mentor a later round QB prospect in this Draft, either way, I think Schneider & Carroll have their contingency plan for Quarterback.
I don't know that Lock has what it takes to keep the Seahawks competitive, but none of us know that he doesn't have the 'Kahola's' to get the job done either.
IF Geno does decide on holding out for big money, or moving on, I think Lock might be the Seahawks be$t monetary option.

sutz

Reaction score
You may well be right, but then again I'm thinking that they might see Drew Lock as good enough to compete & to mentor a later round QB prospect in this Draft, either way, I think Schneider & Carroll have their contingency plan for Quarterback.
I don't know that Lock has what it takes to keep the Seahawks competitive, but none of us know that he doesn't have the 'Kahola's' to get the job done either.
IF Geno does decide on holding out for big money, or moving on, I think Lock might be the Seahawks be$t monetary option.
Lock is also un-signed. He'll be looking for a starter job somewhere or at lease a shot at competing.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Lock is also un-signed. He'll be looking for a starter job somewhere or at lease a shot at competing.
Yep, and if given the opportunity to start in Seattle should Geno & the Hawks decide to part ways, I think Drew Lock would have a leg-up, in the mix, beings he's familiar with Shane Waldron's system, and like Pete Carroll said, he's better than a lot of first rounders in the last couple Drafts, as he's already experienced the Gauntlet.
One thing is for certain, there are still some unanswered questions about how affective he can be in implementing the plays as called, so there's zero chance that he can demand Geno Smith money anywhere in the League.
I guess we'll see if it was just Coach Talk by Pete, and how he might have just played the guy up.

massari

Reaction score
If you're looking at purely stats, then you have to take into account snaps. Carter was on arguably the deepest D-line in all of college football the past 3-4 years, and only played in roughly half the snaps, just over 1,000 in his career.

To put that in perspective, that's half the snaps that Will Anderson took in the same time period (over 2,000 snaps).

So I don't put as much stock in his stat sheet. Dude was disruptive and an absolute beast in both the run and passing game. Which is very rare nowadays with D-lineman. They're either/or most of the time.

So when you have a chance to get an every down disrupter like Carter? IMO you take it.

His poor conditioning is why he doesn't get as many snaps. Like Malik McDowell, nobody is denying his natural talent.

Seahawks Draft Blog:

We’ve got the reported character concerns, we’ve seen the poor conditioning, we see how much he is spelled and can legitimately ask whether he’ll be ready for the battle of endurance that is the NFL.

After half-time in the National Championship game, ESPN ran a sideline report that revealed he was ’embarrassed’ by how gassed he was against Ohio State, so he spent the week doing morning sprints.

I cringed when I heard that. You can’t significantly improve your stamina in a week. You don’t try and improve your conditioning between the playoff semi-final and final with the biggest prize on the line. You have to be ready to go in the summer. You need to be ready for the season. Conditioning isn’t something you ‘have a bit of a go at’ ahead of your last game.

If he isn’t taking this seriously when millions of dollars are on the line as he prepares to turn pro — why will he do it when those millions are banked?

I did a bit of digging today and found this press conference from last April. Carter was asked this opening question:

“Coach (Kirby) Smart was just in here talking about how he wants you to step up as a leader, work on conditioning…”

Carter answered:

“I’ve started running more after practise and all that because they told me I could be a top-10 pick and all that, so I’ve done a lot that I didn’t usually do my freshman year and I’ve just been working harder.”

Later in the interview, when he was asked about the areas of his game he was working on, he again reiterated that conditioning was his main focus — specifically doing some extra running because he expected to ‘get a lot of reps’.

Conditioning was raised by the coaches as an area for improvement or greater dedication long before the 2022 season began. Carter acknowledged it and talked about being motivated to act because he wanted to be a high draft pick.

Despite the prompting by coaches and the clear motivation of millions of dollars to earn, his conditioning was a problem during the season culminating, in his words, in an ’embarrassing’ performance against Ohio State.

This is a concern. When Georgia were telling him to work on his stamina he didn’t deliver with millions at stake. What motivation will he have when the millions are banked?

And PC/JS have both been preaching about character of late:

Character is the key

It’s hardly a revelation that teams want ‘good character’ players. However, John Schneider and Pete Carroll keep ramming home the point when they talk about the draft.

Schneider has taken a couple of opportunities to talk about how important that was a year ago. We noted on Friday that the radio host who does a weekly show with Seattle’s GM dropped a nugget of information, claiming the Seahawks had no interest in Kayvon Thibodeaux (who concerned teams about his non-stop talking about his personal brand).

Today, Phil Simms asked Carroll about Seattle’s priorities this off-season. He immediately brought up the same thing Schneider has been talking about. Last year they placed a big emphasis on high-character players and had a good draft. Now, they want to repeat that:

“We want to keep adding competitive guys who are really over the top that way. We hit it with the height-weight-speed with Tariq Woolen but we found out he was a terrific competitor too. We want to keep adding to it because the guys who came through this year for us in this last year’s draft all have great make-up. They have confidence in themselves, the willingness to say, ‘Ok I don’t know everything but I’m going to dig in and fight and claw and scratch and hang with it’. And we were rewarded with a great class last year. It’s the make-up of the kids that’s so important. I want to stay with that and really make sure that’s at the very source of what we’re doing in this process.”
This is more than token chatter from a GM and Head Coach trying their best not to give anything away. They keep referring back to the last draft. We can all see the players they selected had a similar type of personality. No risks were taken, no compromises made. That’s why Thibodeaux was of no interest.

When I listen to the words they’re using, this is what I think. Players like Will Anderson, Will Levis, C.J. Stroud and Bryce Young fit the bill at #5. I don’t know enough about Tyree Wilson or Anthony Richardson to add them to that list — but I haven’t seen anything negative. At #20 I’d suspect players like Josh Downs and Michael Mayer are the types of high-character talent that will interest them. Hendon Hooker is another big-time character guy, so is Nolan Smith and Ji’Ayir Brown.

On the other side of the equation — I cannot imagine they’ll have much interest (if any at all) in Jalen Carter. There are too many question marks about his maturity. Jaelyn Duncan might be a hard sell unless he lasts deep into the draft and becomes too much of a value pick. I doubt they’ll have much interest in Rashee Rice.

There are other players I can mention in both categories but you get the point.

This is going to be a huge part of Seattle’s 2023 class. They feel like the attitude and maturity of the players they selected a year ago helped them have a great draft. They are going to build on that and this will likely be a risk-free process once again.

In doing a seven round mock — I’m going to put a big emphasis on character and leadership.

12th Dimension

Reaction score
Detroit is the only team picking after us with the resources to get to #1. I don’t see that happening.

If the Cards and Colts swap picks, I think 1-4 will be set. If someone other than the Colts move to 3, #1 will be in play.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I think the character aspect is important as well. They know (Js and PC) have to build a Dline and what not. It might take a few years worst case to get running smooth needing more pieces. Maybe they also look at character as a way of judging how loyal will a guy be and patient will he be. Will they stick with the team after they’ve put time, money and resources into helping them develop more or hone their craft. Or the minute a big payday comes along will they bail? Because when the got guys with question marks on character it’s typically backfired on the team in some form or manner it feels like.

Examples (literally just spitballed, but I’m probably close)
Players with questionable characters, Golden Tate, Percy Harvin, “IM JIMMY”, McDowell, Frank Clark. A few others who left for big paydays.

Players with non questionable characters: DK, Lockett, Neal, Sherm, Kam, Bobby, ET, KJ, Red, Mebane.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Jalen Carter now has a warrant out.

They're charging him with racing the driver, his extremely drunk teammate, who died in the accident along with a staffer.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
add that to not working out at the combine and his stock will take a hit for sure. Out of the top 10?

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
add that to not working out at the combine and his stock will take a hit for sure. Out of the top 10?
Eberflus said yesterday that he bases evaluations 80% on looking at players tape. Much of the other 20% comes from the player interview. As the saying goes, “The tape doesn’t lie.”

Last edited:

JPatera76

Reaction score
Eberflus said yesterday that he bases evaluations 80% on looking at players tape. Much of the other 20% comes from the player interview. As the saying goes, “The tape doesn’t lie.”
Great for Eberflus. But him and poles haven’t shown jack all yet.

Also that’s the Bears great for them, they’re the Browns 2.0.

Browns, Pittsburgh and Detroit have shown they don’t care about character issues. But we know Seattle does. And there’s definitely a few other teams who definitely do as well because a bad apple can have an effect on the WHOLE team.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Great for Eberflus. But him and poles haven’t shown jack all yet.

Also that’s the Bears great for them, they’re the Browns 2.0.

Browns, Pittsburgh and Detroit have shown they don’t care about character issues. But we know Seattle does. And there’s definitely a few other teams who definitely do as well because a bad apple can have an effect on the WHOLE team.
This sure throws a monkey wrench into the draft. My first thought as a Bears fan was that I hope he doesn’t fall to Lions at #6. He and Hutchinson together would be nightmare for Fields the rest of his career twice a year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

Guys who don't work out at the combine usually have their own pro days.

Will Carter now? Err, Idk. His stock has definitely taken a hit, but he seems to think he'll be vindicated once he tells his side of the story. Not sure how you can sugar coat racing over 100 mph going the wrong way, fleeing the scene and lying to police about it = vindicated.

But we shall see.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score

Well, that ones settled.

Minor quibble, but I don’t see the same bend / low center of gravity with Anderson as you do with Mack & Miller.

Haven‘t watched the combine drills yet, curious to see if he did the figure 8 drill and if so how it looked.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
The aftermath of this turn of events may be just what Carter needs, in the character building department, to get himself on the right path toward being the best he can be. I would think the loss of a teammate would have an effect as well. I doubt he falls to #5 but if he does I'd take that chance. I don't think one mistake at that age should disqualify a person from what could be a brilliant future, both as a player and example for others to learn by. Misdemeanors aren't much of a hindrance, but we'll see what shakes out as official charges when this is done.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Minor quibble, but I don’t see the same bend / low center of gravity with Anderson as you do with Mack & Miller.

Haven‘t watched the combine drills yet, curious to see if he did the figure 8 drill and if so how it looked.
They're definitely different body types, thats for sure.

My main contention was just that he isn't underweight for the role, especially not to the extent people think he is.