Chandler Jones traded to AZ

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Arizona chasing after Evan Mathis to replace Cooper.

Son of a ..

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":3440300d said:
The hilarious part about this trade is that even if Arizona fails to keep Jones next offseason they'd almost certainly get a comp pick in the 95-100 range, a pick that will be almost as valuable as the #61 they gave up in the deal.

It's pretty insane. Arizona is getting an upper echelon pass rusher rental in his prime almost for free.

This is what makes this such a great move for AZ. There's virtually no downside, plus the guy they traded has done nothing. This is obviously NE trying to get something for Chandler, knowing they didn't want to pay him $14m/year or more.

In most years, you would think that NE could replace him with their 1st round pick, and grab another starter with the AZ pick, but it sounds like all the good pass rushers will be gone by the 2nd round in this draft.

This might be the first time I've seen someone get the better of NE in a trade. I hope Schneider is taking notes, because typically we never get great value in draft capital from our trades.

kearly

Reaction score
Hawks46":3qbvmn04 said:
This might be the first time I've seen someone get the better of NE in a trade. I hope Schneider is taking notes, because typically we never get great value in draft capital from our trades.

It doesn't really count, but JS did trade Deion Branch to the Pats for a pick that turned into KJ Wright.

Its kind of funny, if you look at the two Deion Branch trades and then look at the contribution of the players drafted with the picks, plus Branch's service time in Seattle... add it all up and Seattle actually smoked New England on those deals collectively.

Anyway, I think what this trade says about New England is that they must really buy into Jimmy G. It will likely take them a few years to replace Jones' pass rush ability, and by then Brady will likely have retired. This was a move for the future.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Chris Long signs a one year deal, joins SJ and Amendola.

Ian Rapoport ✔‎@RapSheet
Former #Rams DE Chris Long will sign a 1-year deal with the #Patriots, source said (as @wingoz reported). Chandler Jones' replacement.

getnasty

Reaction score
I've never been as high on Jones as others, don't get me wrong he's a good player but far from elite. Still good trade for the Cards.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
kearly":3a3kcmxu said:
The hilarious part about this trade is that even if Arizona fails to keep Jones next offseason they'd almost certainly get a comp pick in the 95-100 range, a pick that will be almost as valuable as the #61 they gave up in the deal.

It's pretty insane. Arizona is getting an upper echelon pass rusher rental in his prime almost for free.

Ahh, didn't even consider that angle. Great point.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":4uqr2wjm said:
Bet the Seahawks wanted to do a deal with them too.

Surprised Belichick wasn't all over Justin Britt and a 2 for Jones.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
NE is looking to fill some holes on the OL. They are compensating for picks they lost. I think they have a couple of pass rushers they are developing.

This is a very New England/Belichick move.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2r0jauov said:
kearly":2r0jauov said:

Ahh, didn't even consider that angle. Great point.

and why NE was so stupid. They could've had Chandler for an extra year and basically had the same pick they traded for.

kearly

Reaction score
Apparently Jones was hospitalized for a bad reaction to synthetic marijuana in January. According to Seahawks Draft Blog, the Pats have been shopping him since then.

Synthetic marijuana is not on the banned substance list but the incident will almost certainly put Jones on the league's substance abuse program with closer monitoring and extra testing. And since they are the Pats, they know that Roger won't go easy on them.

Jones won't smoke synthetic anymore because it might kill him. Which means, well, that he might turn to smoking actual Marijuana and get busted on a "random" drug test.

So when considering this angle, I can see why the Pats resorted to a panic trade.

Jville

Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for posting the background information.

Synthetic marijuana was found in the truck of Derrick Coleman. That accident also qualifies as a rather bad outcome. IIRC, Coleman remains an unsigned unrestricted free agent.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Cardinals looking really good for next year. They were missing an elite pass rusher and they just got one.

massari

Reaction score
Seahawks are going to counter with Greg Hardy. :pukeface: