Changed division rivalries after 2001

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
With it being a holiday, I noticed NFL network was showing old Super Bowls. The Titans / Rams was on and I recall cheering for the Rams in that one....back in 1999 I had nothing against them and was thinking now there is no way I would be cheering that way. Then I thought about other past championships and how much I enjoyed the Niners pummelling the Broncos. Feelings towards the Broncos due to the trade last year not withstanding, there's no way I would want that to happen now

Anyone else who's fandom goes back to the AFC West days find it weird thinking about how your thoughts on past games have changed now from how you might have cheered then?

seabowl

Reaction score
I thought at the time that one of the best things to ever happen to Seattle was getting out of the AFC west, as it was always a difficult division.

Mick063

Reaction score
I attended far more Seahawk games when Dan Fouts, John Elway, Jim Plunket, and Dave Kreig were the division quarterbacks than at any other time in my life. Meaning I have attended far more games in the Kingdome than in the current field. Hell, I have attended more games in Jack Murphy Stadium and the Los Angelos Coliseum than I have in the current Seahawk venue. I used to go to the training camp in Cheney as well. When Chuck Knox was coaching.

The Kingdome was loud as hell. Crowd noise is nothing new in Seattle.

Last edited:

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I was actually a Rams fan when I was a kid. Believe it or not, in 1960 the Cowboys and Rams played a pre-season game in Pendleton Oregon and my father and grandfather attended the game. The Rams won 49-14 and my father and grandfather were Rams fans from that point on. One of the first games I remember watching with my dad was the 1967 playoff game between the Rams and the Packers. Roman Gabriel was QB for the Rams and Bart Star for the Packers. The game was in Green Bay and the Pack won 28-7.

God, I feel old. :cry:

Mick063

Reaction score
I was actually a Rams fan when I was a kid. Believe it or not, in 1960 the Cowboys and Rams played a pre-season game in Pendleton Oregon and my father and grandfather attended the game. The Rams won 49-14 and my father and grandfather were Rams fans from that point on. One of the first games I remember watching with my dad was the 1967 playoff game between the Rams and the Packers. Roman Gabriel was QB for the Rams and Bart Star for the Packers. The game was in Green Bay and the Pack won 28-7.

When Seattle was pining for an expansion franchise, they held a preseason exhibition game in Husky Stadium. My dad took me to it. Pittsburgh Steelers verse New York Jets. Franco Harris rookie year. Terry Bradshaw verse Joe Namath. Mean Joe Green, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, John Riggins, Don Maynard, Eddie Bell, etc. That was the first NFL game I ever attended. The Steelers annihilated them. This was before they had won their first Super Bowl.

Last edited:

Rainger

Reaction score

Haha if you feel old for 1967, I started watching the AFL on ABC with my step dad in 1960.

I was a Raiders fan starting in 1961.

As to the thread, was happy to move to the NFC as that is where the Hawks first year was. Also had dual loyalties with the Raiders in first few years.

But always was a hawk fan when they met.

However all the teams I hated in the 70s I still hate today, like the Stealers!

Mick063

Reaction score

Rams were my favorite team as a kid. Roman Gabriel, Jack Snow, Wendell Tucker, Les Josephson, Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen, Chris Hanburger, Jack Pardee, Myron Pottios, Lamar Lundy, Rosy Grier, George Allen.

See.....I'm directly reciting all of these names directly off the top of my head. I'll bet if I looked up the roster, I would instantly recognize a dozen more names. They just couldn't ever get past the Packers. I HATED the Packers as a kid. Damned Lombardi and Bart Starr.

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I still really dislike the Broncos and Raiders (but, oddly enough, not the Chargers and Chiefs) from the Seahawks' days in the AFC West.
Even so, I rooted for the Broncos against the Cheatriots when Peyton Manning was with the Broncos. Lesser of two evils or something. I also hoped the Broncos would win Peyton Manning's final game. The Seahawks had already beaten Manning and the Broncos in a Super Bowl. I wanted Manning to win another title, and I thought Cam Newton was an undeserving league MVP, so I figured it was a little less bad for the Broncos to win that one. I guess that means I dislike the Raiders more than the Broncos, because I don't remember ever actually rooting for the Raiders.
But since then, my loathing for the Broncos has been stronger than any other factors, so it's been easy to root for Bronco failure at all times since Manning's retirement.

I enjoyed XLVIII just a little bit more because it was the Broncos and The Teeth that my Seahawks were curbstomping on national TV.
And I absolutely love that the team Schneider fleeced in the Wilson trade was the Broncos. Making the Seahawks that much better was a great accomplishment, and that alone would make me happy. But in addition to doing his job well during the 2022 offseason by making the 'Hawks better, Schneider also made me even happier by simultaneously making the Broncos noticeably worse, and possibly ruining a chance they might have had at a Super Bowl window.

As for the Gold Diggers, I actually liked them in the '80s and rooted for them quite a bit. I really enjoyed watching them give The Teeth and the Broncos a thrashing on national TV in Super Bowl XXIV. I was living in Chicago at the time. I remember I called my dad in Maine a few times during that game to celebrate specific moments. At some point, The Teeth was sacked, and my dad answered his phone to hear only "SQUASHED LIKE A BUG!" and the click from the caller hanging up.

However, I grew tired of the Gold Diggers around that time, and the only times in my life I've rooted for the Cowboys were when they were the only hope to stop the Gold Diggers in the early-to-mid 1990s. I didn't root for the Cowboys in Super Bowls, but I wanted them to be strong and stop the Gold Diggers. Putting the Gold Diggers in our division only reinforced a dislike that already existed.

I remember rooting for the Rams in some games when I was a kid, let's say in '76-'79 or so, but I rooted for the Steelers against the Rams in the Super Bowl after the '79 season.

And that gets us to another big change in team likes and dislikes. I loved those 1970s Steelers teams. I loved that they could beat the Cowboys. I loved that they could beat the Raiders.
I had autographed pics of football players framed on the wall of my room. Sure, I had several Seahawks, Zorn being the most important to me at the time, even though I knew he wasn't even close to being the best player among them, but I also had Bradshaw, Swann, and Stallworth, and I think I had at least one defensive player, but I don't remember. The Bradshaw one was cool, because as I had done with the other players who sent me autographed pictures, I had written to him c/o the team address (in Pittsburgh) I found in the back of one of my dad's issues of Football Digest, but the envelope that came in the mail for me with the autographed picture had a Louisiana postmark.

Now, of course, I call them the Title Stealers and think of them as Rapelisburger's team. I wish them misery and failure in the same way I wish for the Broncos, Raiders, Gold Diggers, Rams, and Cardinals to experience misery and failure.

In '99, I lived in Sacramento. I got weed from a guy there, and we became friends. He was a Rams fan. He started inviting me over on Sundays to watch football games, and it was fun to watch that Rams team play so well. I was even rooting for the Rams in games I didn't watch with my Rams-fan friend, and I had started doing so before finding out he was a Rams fan, because the team was just so fun to watch. I remember telling my friend to treasure the moment, because the Rams looked like world-beaters and the Kings were looking like title contenders in the NBA, and the Gods of Sport can be very cruel (as a Seahawks fan, I was painfully aware of this), so a moment when two of your teams are that good is really special. By the time the Super Bowl came around, I was back in Santa Barbara to finish a degree. It was easy for me to keep rooting for the Rams at that point, and I was a little shocked (and scared) about how close they came to failing to win the big one.

The Rams got screwed in their next Super Bowl (two seasons later) when the Cheatriots did their cheating thing, and even though I dislike a bunch of idiot Rams fans who troll Seahawks fan sites, I feel bad for them having lost a title game they really should have won because Kraft, Belichick, and Brady are cheaters.

Oh yeh... speaking of the Cheatriots, I grew up in southern Maine. I was never a Patriots fan, but almost all the kids I knew were. I learned to play football and played about a jillion neighborhood games with my neighbor Chuck, the son of the town's police chief. It was my dad who taught me how to throw the ball and spent countless hours throwing with me, but Chuck was the one who taught me the basics and got me started playing when I was six. He also gave me his outgrown shoulder pads and "Pat Patriot" helmet to use. Chuck was about three years older than I, so I looked up to him a lot. When we were playing football, we were also talking about football a lot, and so I knew a lot about the Patriots teams of the '70s. I remember Chuck talking about "Sam Bam" Cunningham, "Hog" Hannah, Sam Adams, Julius Adams (Chuck liked the guys in the trenches), and others. When we wanted to throw "the bomb" in a neighborhood game, we'd call it as "Grogan to Francis," referring to the Patriots' QB and Pro Bowl receiving tight end at the time. Sometimes when there were just a few of us around after school, instead of playing a game, we'd just throw the ball around and do reenactments of big plays from the latest games. I remember Chuck calling out big touchdowns for Stanley Morgan in some of those reenactments of recent Patriots moments.

It was easy for me to root for the '85 Bears and simultaneously against the '85 Patriots in the Super Bowl in early '86, and I of course rooted for the Seahawks and against the Patriots in the two Seahawks games my dad took me to see in Foxborough ('84 and '86), but I respected the Patriots fans around me back then who endured some pretty awful seasons, and I still respect those same people still being fans of the team even though Kraft came in and installed his culture of cheating with Belicheat and the Greatest Cheater of All Time, transforming them from the Patriots into the Cheatriots.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I was born in the Bay Area and a majority of my family still lives there. I moved to Oregon when I was 10 and saw my father watching a football game and got interested for the first time. That was 1976 and Jim Zorn wasn't Russ but he was fun and had so much passion and Largent was once in a lifetime. I went from a 49er fan with Montana before he became a Goat to a Seahawks fan overnight.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I was born in the Bay Area and a majority of my family still lives there. I moved to Oregon when I was 10 and saw my father watching a football game and got interested for the first time. That was 1976 and Jim Zorn wasn't Russ but he was fun and had so much passion and Largent was once in a lifetime. I went from a 49er fan with Montana before he became a Goat to a Seahawks fan overnight. Probably it was 1977 my bad.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I was born in the Bay Area and a majority of my family still lives there. I moved to Oregon when I was 10 and saw my father watching a football game and got interested for the first time. That was 1976 and Jim Zorn wasn't Russ but he was fun and had so much passion and Largent was once in a lifetime. I went from a 49er fan with Montana before he became a Goat to a Seahawks fan overnight.

Are you sure this didn't happen in 1980?
Montana was in college in 1976 and didn't even play that season. He was drafted in 1979 and only had 23 pass attempts that season. It was only in 1980 that he made the transition from backup to starter (and started seven games).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
With it being a holiday, I noticed NFL network was showing old Super Bowls. The Titans / Rams was on and I recall cheering for the Rams in that one....back in 1999 I had nothing against them and was thinking now there is no way I would be cheering that way. Then I thought about other past championships and how much I enjoyed the Niners pummelling the Broncos. Feelings towards the Broncos due to the trade last year not withstanding, there's no way I would want that to happen now

Anyone else who's fandom goes back to the AFC West days find it weird thinking about how your thoughts on past games have changed now from how you might have cheered then?

I never hated the Chargers for some reason, but I still hate the Raiders, and REALLY still hate the Broncos.

With Elway, they just kicked us in the nuts for decades, and I've never got over it. Obviously with the Russell factor, it's even more fun to root agains them.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Are you sure this didn't happen in 1980?
Montana was in college in 1976 and didn't even play that season. He was drafted in 1979 and only had 23 pass attempts that season. It was only in 1980 that he made the transition from backup to starter (and started seven games).
May have been I just remember being a 49er fan when Steve Deberg was quarterback and New Orleans beat them like 55-something and Joe Montana came in and I was thinking man this guy is going to be something.

Last edited:

bsuhawk

Reaction score
When Seattle was pining for an expansion franchise, they held a preseason exhibition game in Husky Stadium. My dad took me to it. Pittsburgh Steelers verse New York Jets. Franco Harris rookie year. Terry Bradshaw verse Joe Namath. Mean Joe Green, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, John Riggins, Don Maynard, Eddie Bell, etc. That was the first NFL game I ever attended. The Steelers annihilated them. This was before they had won their first Super Bowl.
Every time I see an article talking about the all time great defenses and they're talking about the 85 bears or the 2000 Ravens I shake my head. By far, the best defense I've ever seen was the 70's Pittsburgh Steelers. Many of the current rules (e.g., can't touch a WR past five yards) exist because of what the Steel Curtain did to offenses in the 70's.

Mick063

Reaction score
Every time I see an article talking about the all time great defenses and they're talking about the 85 bears or the 2000 Ravens I shake my head. By far, the best defense I've ever seen was the 70's Pittsburgh Steelers. Many of the current rules (e.g., can't touch a WR past five yards) exist because of what the Steel Curtain did to offenses in the 70's.
For some reason, Joe Greene got all of the press for the defensive front, but Dwight White and LC Greenwood were every bit as good. It was a different game back then. The defensive and offensive lineman all weighed in at less than 280 pounds. It isn't as if large men didn't exist in those days, but when you stress the run game instead of creating a wall to protect the quarterback, the offensive line has to be agile and mobile to get to assigned areas. They were smaller by design, for the purpose of running the football. Offensive lineman didn't just punch and step back for pass protection every play. Heck, the Dolphins went undefeated in 1972 averaging 18 pass attempts per game (4.5 pass attempts per quarter). Regardless, the defensive line matched the offensive line in size and athleticism. It was basically a four-man defensive front of Cliff Avril sized players. The last offensive line (as a unit) to be primarily small, athletic, and quick for the purpose of enhancing the run game was the Shannahan coached Broncos that featured Terrell Davis. After that, just about every offensive lineman came as a huge pass protector. Regardless, all of those great defensive linemen from the 1070's would be stand up linebackers in a modern 3-4 defense. Trust me, they were still plenty good enough to play in the modern era, but it would just be at a different position.

Last edited:

Mad Dog

Reaction score
My old hatreds in the 80's were Raiders, Niners and Cowboys. I loved the Hawks but also had a fondness for Green Bay and Minnesota (I could relate to cold weather teams being from Saskatchewan).

Now I am ambivalent about the Raiders, hate the Niners as much and laugh at the Cowboys. I have to say my most hated team has turned into the Rams. Too many gut wrenching losses since we moved to they NFC West, usually when we were the superior team.

flv2

Reaction score
Some of us old-timer Rams fans don't see the Seahawks as a rival. To us you're still an AFC West team that we're scheduled to play twice every year, (much like the Cardinals). I'm sure there are Seahawks fans that see the Raiders and Broncos as bigger rivals. I don't even remember the Panthers being in the NFC West.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Some of us old-timer Rams fans don't see the Seahawks as a rival. To us you're still an AFC West team that we're scheduled to play twice every year, (much like the Cardinals). I'm sure there are Seahawks fans that see the Raiders and Broncos as bigger rivals. I don't even remember the Panthers being in the NFC West.
When I became a football fan in essence, the Seahawks were an expansion team starting in the NFC West along with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers who were assigned to AFC West. They subsequently changed their division and conferences in 1977 with Seattle moving to the AFC West and Tampa Bay to NFC Central. So moving back to the NFC West in 2002 was coming back home for the Seahawks in some sort of fashion.

What is funny to me back then was that St Louis Cardinals were in the NFC East while Tampa Bay was in the NFC Central. I guess geography acumen was not a strength for whomever made the alignment decisions during that period.