Not Chicken Littel'ing it - but the season/division -

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I want to be clear - I don't want us to fail.

BUT: If you saw our game - and if you saw the 49ers game against the Steelers,

Before the season in our coverage, press and minds I think everyone thought the division was a lock.

After Sunday's debacle, and watching the Rams and 49ers - they seem like the real deal. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them win the division, and us possibly to be on our backs looking up at the other one snagging what could have been a wildcard spot for us.

I know we can go on a run. I have a BAD feeling about the Detroit game - and I think if we split Carolina and the Giants somehow - there's a real possibility that we could start this campaign 1-3, limping into the early Bye, clawing our way up and depending on other people to lose at the end of the season. That would suck.

No trying to be a Debbie Downer - but this is NOT how I expected the season to start/go.

Hope they go on a tear. I don't expect the division at all based on Sunday - and not just based on our performance. Purdy played as lights out as Stafford did yesterday. I kinda don't expect the playoffs at this point.

But we can hope. And I'm not trying to jinx us.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I watched the Washington/Arizona game. The Cards aren't mailing it in either. Their defense looked good and they played hard. The only thing that saved Washington was their D-line and we don't have one that can match theirs.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Seahawks schedule becomes brutal in Nov/Dec timeframe. Yesterday's game was a cheesecake compared to what awaits them further down the road.

If Stafford stays healthy, the Rams are no "cheesecake" this year. As we saw yesterday, they're a tough formidable opponent when they don't have all major parts of their team on the IR, with one of the top 2-3 head coach's in the entire league.

This is why the NFL is so great, every season there are a bunch of surprises. So my guess is everyone was writing off the Rams thinking they were going to continue to stink.

I was pissed off yesterday, and even turned the game off mid-way through the 4th quarter. But I'm trying not to overreact after just one game, as this seems to be how all Pete Carroll teams start the season. Slow.

So we'll see. There SHOULD be enough talent and leadership on this roster to rebound and make some noise.

renofox

Reaction score
The Rams looked great yesterday!

BUT, they were playing the Seahawks.

The Rams are not going to be a great team this year.

Remember a few years ago when the Seahawks, midway through the season, were on track to be the worst defense in NFL history?

A rePETE is not out of the question. It may even be worse this year.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score

Before the season in our coverage, press and minds I think everyone thought the division was a lock.

After Sunday's debacle, and watching the Rams and 49ers - they seem like the real deal. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them win the division, and us possibly to be on our backs looking up at the other one snagging what could have been a wildcard spot for us.

I know we can go on a run. I have a BAD feeling about the Detroit game - and I think if we split Carolina and the Giants somehow - there's a real possibility that we could start this campaign 1-3, limping into the early Bye, clawing our way up and depending on other people to lose at the end of the season. That would suck.

No trying to be a Debbie Downer - but this is NOT how I expected the season to start/go.

Hope they go on a tear. I don't expect the division at all based on Sunday - and not just based on our performance. Purdy played as lights out as Stafford did yesterday. I kinda don't expect the playoffs at this point.

I doubt anyone thought the division was a lock prior to the season. A possibility, yes. A lock? Absolutely not.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Rams looked great yesterday!

BUT, they were playing the Seahawks.

The Rams are not going to be a great team this year.

Remember a few years ago when the Seahawks, midway through the season, were on track to be the worst defense in NFL history?

A rePETE is not out of the question. It may even be worse this year.

The Rams are even younger than the Hawks, so you might be right. But like I said, if Stafford stays healthy and Kupp doesn't miss too many games? They're pretty damn nasty hard hitting bunch, with a great HC.

I think you're projecting too much of this on the Hawks, rather than giving the Rams some credit as well.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
Right now it is hard to see more than 5 wins on the schedule. Right now. I'll bet the Bengals, Steelers and Giants feel the same. We are better than we showed and will improve - all of these teams will. The question is will we improve fast enough and to a level we as fans are comfortable with.
I had high hopes for this season - probably too high in retrospect - but will now have to temper my expectations to looking for improvement game to game.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I know this is cliche but it is in fact a long season. Seattle has time to look inward and see if they can fix what's wrong . Maybe this is the best thing to happen in the long term.

Okieseahawk

Reaction score

It makes me puke to say it, but we look light years behind SF right now. Good news it's early with lots of Football left to play-even if we can't beat the Lions in Detroit.

jeremiah

Reaction score
It makes me puke to say it, but we look light years behind SF right now. Good news it's early with lots of Football left to play-even if we can't beat the Lions in Detroit.
Playing Detroit in Motown, I forecast pain for the visiting team. Like BITD with the LoB roaming the plains. The Lions are hungry and mean. We won the SB because our O line dominated the LoS, and the D had fresh lions on the prowl. We are no longer the predators but the prey

Okieseahawk

Reaction score
Yep, hard to say any different after yesterday. We need to show up with an infusion of physicality. We looked soft and unprepared. Hope it’s not a sequel in Motown.

Torc

Reaction score
Anyone, media or fan, who thought the division was a lock for the Seahawks hasn't been watching football. I think most of us were hoping to come out ahead in a tightly fought division. The 49ers were never gonna just lie down and let us take the division.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
What I saw from Purdy confirmed that he's not a flash in the pan -

Again, they are looking like the real deal - and we need to put our big boy pants on. Before it's too late.

Detroit gonna be TOUGH.

bileever

Reaction score
I was down after the Rams game, not just because we lost, but because we lost both Cross and Lucas in that game, and didn't look that sharp on offense or defense. Like everyone else, I thought we'd be lucky if we could be 3-4 after 7 games.

And now we're 5-2 and the 49ers are 5-3? It goes to show you, it's a long season, and nobody knows anything in the NFL. The football gods are mysterious and unpredictable.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
This team can beat ANY TEAM in the NFL. Period.
I'm pretty stoked about the D for sure. Fix some of the offensive problems and we're there.

We've had a pretty soft start SOS wise to the season - again, this gauntlet is the meat of the season. Trying to not let 3 or 4 of those wins go to our heads ;)

Fortunately, the NFCW seems to be folding like lawn chairs!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Wins over the Lions and Browns are pretty impressive. Both really good teams. A lot of work to do, but IF this team is firing in all 3 phases? They can be in any game against any team, imo. And they really handed away that game at Cincy on the road, a legit SB contender. The team has its issues, I'm not going full homer, but they are very capable of being a damn good team.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
I was down after the Rams game, not just because we lost, but because we lost both Cross and Lucas in that game, and didn't look that sharp on offense or defense. Like everyone else, I thought we'd be lucky if we could be 3-4 after 7 games.

And now we're 5-2 and the 49ers are 5-3? It goes to show you, it's a long season, and nobody knows anything in the NFL. The football gods are mysterious and unpredictable.

This.

If before the opening day kickoff, someone had told us we'd lose both tackles and in one game have zero starters playing in their natural positions, this place would have had us pegged as toast. 2 wins, maybe 3. Yet here we sit at 5 and 2 in first place and there are arms up in the air over the coaching, regression, scheme, etc.

I'll be the first to say that we have yet to play a great game in all three phases. Andnthats frustrating. Some of Genos mistakes are frustrating. Some of the in game adjustments have been frustrating. But...

BUT, despite sustaining what might me a mortal wound for other teams with the injuries we've had, we are in a solid spot. Solid is an understatement considering I'd wager few here would have had us better than 5 wins after 7 games WITH a healthy O line.

Detroit, the darlings of the league and upstart superbowl darkhorse was embarrassed by Baltimore. Baltimore, a team that was upset by Indy.

The 9ers have been in a downward spiral, despite all the lustung after the scheme and offense they have.

The cowturds can literally lose to a D2 college team aby given Sunday.

The only 2 teams I see consistently winning despite not playing well or having to overcome crippling inuries are Philly and Seattle in the NFC.

Let's keep things tempered a bit. We haven't come close to our ceiling yet.