Chip Kelly Fired

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Rob12":a6obj30s said:
He took a decent team and turned them into garbage. He failed, and not only as a HC but a talent evaluator at the NFL level as well.

In way over his head. Not saying he can't make it in the NFL one day. But he needs to be an OC under a good coach for a while before he should get another shot.

He was 26-21 and never had a qb. I agree 100% that he was terrible as gm, but ill never believe he's a bad coach. I truely don't understand why everybody hates him so much? He's trying to bring innovation to a boring stuffy league. Should be appreciated not hated.

Rat

Reaction score
Good, was sick of hearing about him. Way too much press for someone who has done nothing in the pros.

I hope Tennessee isn't dumb enough to hire him just because he's their QB's BFF. Mariota looked fine without Chip this year.

jake206

Reaction score
Chip Kelly goes to Tennessee Titans and Tom Cable goes to Philadelphia Eagles. Bank on it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Suck it Kelly fans here on .NET.
They wanted Pete Carroll to go the way of the dodo bird, and expected Chip Kelly to dazzle the NFL with his extraordinary Coaching style, and make Pete Carroll look like a fool......I love this outcome :stirthepot: !!

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
After failing in Philadelphia, Chip Kelly realizes he’s a coach, not a general manager. But he still thinks he can succeed in the NFL, and wants another shot at it.

Kelly told Jay Glazer of FOX Sports that he wants to remain in the NFL, and not return to college. Kelly was an excellent coach at Oregon and would have several job opportunities if he wanted to coach in college again, but he’s apparently no interested in that. Kelly’s insistence that he’s staying in the NFL will lead to more talk that he could move to Tennessee and coach the Titans.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... C%20Sports

hawknation2015

Reaction score
If Kelly had common sense, he would return to the college game. That is the only place where his offensive system is capable of functioning properly and the only place where his usage of personnel has had sustained success.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Kapedia's article detailing Kelly's rigidity:
His biggest downfall in terms of personnel was a lack of understanding value. It's easy to forget now, but DeSean Jackson had a career year for Kelly in 2013, catching 82 balls for 1,332 yards and nine touchdowns. He looked like the perfect fit for the new Eagles' offense, but Jackson and Kelly did not mesh, and the wide receiver was let go without the team getting anything in return.

This past offseason, Kelly tried to sell the McCoy trade as a financial move, yet he proceeded to offer more guaranteed money and a less team-friendly contract to Murray.

When guard Evan Mathis didn't show up to voluntary OTAs because he wanted a new contract, Kelly released him.

Asked if that set a bad precedent of allowing players to get out of their contracts when they were unhappy, Kelly said, "It's a bad precedent if guys don't like their contract. They can sit out, and you can pay them more. You look at it both ways. You have to make that decision."

But what about the third option of just making them play out their deal?

"That wasn't an option we wanted to go with," Kelly said. "If he doesn't want to be here, he doesn't have to be here."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14463 ... t-work-nfl

Subzero717

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3c6d1g1r said:
Subzero717":3c6d1g1r said:
JSeahawks":3c6d1g1r said:
He'll be either head coach in Tennessee or offensive coordinator in New England.
Lollollol

Do you disagree?
As I said before Tennesse would be a desperation move by Ruston Webster. Josh Mcdaniel is still employed. With his personality he should go back to school.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I don't think coach Kelly is that bad.
But GM Kelly was garbage. Pure garbage.
See how much money he paid 3 RBs (Murray, Matthews and Sproles).
See how much money he paid 2 QBs (Sanchez, Bradford). Then he wasted so much time with garbage Tebow, where he could have had Tyrod Taylor or a true mobile QB to learn his system.
Then, he overpaid for Maxwell.
Then he filled up the Roster with very average Oregon players. How can you justify replacing DeSean Jackson with Josh Huff? Kiko Alonzo was probably the worst LB in the league this season. He was that bad.
Does anyone even remember his draft picks? I think they were all bad.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":my8ky0ao said:
Suck it Kelly fans here on .NET.
They wanted Pete Carroll to go the way of the dodo bird, and expected Chip Kelly to dazzle the NFL with his extraordinary Coaching style, and make Pete Carroll look like a fool......I love this outcome :stirthepot: !!
Heres your answer JS it probaly explains Mizz as well.I was on the anti Chip show because I have seen these gimmick offenses before and know they don't work over time.There is no easy way in the NFL but getting fired

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
As mentioned by several people his offensive system won't work in the NFL. Defenses need as much time off the field as possible to stay effective at the pro level. I also believe his ego won't allow him to be successful either. IF he adapted both to the NFL as a HC only, then sure he could win. Doubt that ever happens.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think that article sums it up.

Chip is the smartest guy in the room. Just ask him. That ego was ultimately his undoing. Because as popular as bashing him is right now, a lot of his offensive concepts are very sound. His methods, on the other hand...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I really don't think the Titans want this guy. Just because Mariota is there doesn't mean Chip is their guy. Hiring Chip would be a splashy move, but then every one would expect this offense to be one of the best offenses in the modern era.. thats a really bold move for an organization that has a really bare cupboard outside of its QB and Dorial Green-Beckham.

I think the Titans want a safer guy that can develop a young QB. A guy like Hue Jackson or Adam Gase makes a ton of sense for the Titans.

AZ_fan

Reaction score
"Chip Kelly is the greatest GM/coach ever"

~ the rest of the NFC East

nanomoz

Reaction score
Scottemojo":c3fmal87 said:
I think that article sums it up.

Chip is the smartest guy in the room. Just ask him. That ego was ultimately his undoing. Because as popular as bashing him is right now, a lot of his offensive concepts are very sound. His methods, on the other hand...

This is spot on. I honestly think Kelly would have had a longer leash if he wasn't such a smug prick. He comes across as incredibly hard to like, especially when things aren't going his way.

Sac

Reaction score
aa91ce35a1799fd83a7a8f3397205ee7.jpg

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Could anyone imaging Kelly in SF ? The explosion would be heard up here

kearly

Reaction score
Kelly's NFL career path has been like a less successful version of Jim Harbaugh. The org tolerated him while he was winning, but as soon as he had a non-winning season, he was out.

I suspect that that Bradford was a stepping stone in a mega deal to get Mariota, but at the last minute, a deal could not be made. Him signing Murray felt like a reaction to the 2014 loss to Seattle that buried their season.

Even with Kelly's issues, he'd have to be considered the top coach available on the open market right now. I said back in September that I expected Kelley to end up in Tennessee in 2016, and I don't see why they would go with an unproven guy like Adam Gase over Chip Kelly now that Kelly is 100% available. Kelly is a lot of things, but he's a good coach and he got the Eagles to a pair of 10 win seasons without having much at QB. Give him Mariota and a historically weak division where 8 wins takes the crown, and it's pretty easy to see how Kelly could make the Titans an instant playoff team.

I think the only thing that could stop a Kelly/Mariota reunion is Kelly's ego. Maybe the Titans will be scared by a tyrannical coach who burns bridges, or maybe Kelly feels he needs to prove he can succeed in the NFL without his anointed QB.

Latest posts