Chip Kelly Fired

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":239m0b9u said:
Kelly's NFL career path has been like a less successful version of Jim Harbaugh. The org tolerated him while he was winning, but as soon as he had a non-winning season, he was out.

I suspect that that Bradford was a stepping stone in a mega deal to get Mariota, but at the last minute, a deal could not be made. Him signing Murray felt like a reaction to the 2014 loss to Seattle that buried their season.

Even with Kelly's issues, he'd have to be considered the top coach available on the open market right now. I said back in September that I expected Kelley to end up in Tennessee in 2016, and I don't see why they would go with an unproven guy like Adam Gase over Chip Kelly now that Kelly is 100% available. Kelly is a lot of things, but he's a good coach and he got the Eagles to a pair of 10 win seasons without having much at QB. Give him Mariota and a historically weak division where 8 wins takes the crown, and it's pretty easy to see how Kelly could make the Titans an instant playoff team.

I think the only thing that could stop a Kelly/Mariota reunion is Kelly's ego. Maybe the Titans will be scared by a tyrannical coach who burns bridges, or maybe Kelly feels he needs to prove he can succeed in the NFL without his anointed QB.

See I feel like Chip needs Mariota a lot more than Mariota needs Chip. Mariota played great with 2 coaches and a lot of holes on the Titans roster.. I mean.. a lot of holes. They don't really have a running game to speak of, since Sankey has been a major flop so far.. their line isn't great.. DGB and Wright are about the brightest spots they have on the roster outside of their QB.

I just don't see the Titans wanting to deal with the headache and the enormous expectations that would come immediately with pairing Marcus Mariota with his college coach. Hue Jackson would be a much better hire IMO. And Adam Gase is no slouch either.

OrFan

Reaction score
I think if Chip is going to hold out for an NFL job, he will be watching everyone else from his La-Z-Boy.

Go back to the school playground, Chip.

chris98251

Reaction score
With Webster in Tennessee I think Bevell or Cable would be more favored, Titans want someone that will be good for a QB and not make a mockery out of their City.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Rob12":1nglcl5p said:
He took a decent team and turned them into garbage. He failed, and not only as a HC but a talent evaluator at the NFL level as well.

In way over his head. Not saying he can't make it in the NFL one day. But he needs to be an OC under a good coach for a while before he should get another shot.

Since when is a team that was 8-8 and 4-12 before a coach takes over, "decent?" He won back to back 10 wins season with Foles as the qb, that's not an easy thing to do.

Subzero717

Reaction score
chris98251":3dbwc9fs said:
With Webster in Tennessee I think Bevell or Cable would be more favored, Titans want someone that will be good for a QB and not make a mockery out of their City.
If Webster is there. Lot of speculation about Manning being a target for a high ranking FO and possibly a stake in ownership.

Webster also comes from the Ruskell tree. No way I see Cable with his past landing that gig. Realistically he may have a hard time landing a HC gig period because we are now in the post Ray Rice era.

chris98251

Reaction score
Webster was pre Ruskell and survived his hiring if memory serves.

Rob12

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2hdrvd94 said:
Rob12":2hdrvd94 said:
He took a decent team and turned them into garbage. He failed, and not only as a HC but a talent evaluator at the NFL level as well.

In way over his head. Not saying he can't make it in the NFL one day. But he needs to be an OC under a good coach for a while before he should get another shot.

He was 26-21 and never had a qb. I agree 100% that he was terrible as gm, but ill never believe he's a bad coach. I truely don't understand why everybody hates him so much? He's trying to bring innovation to a boring stuffy league. Should be appreciated not hated.

He didn't have a QB because he misjudged talent. That's not an excuse for why he failed.

His ego is too much for this league.

He's been called a brilliant coach by the RT of the Eagles, but his ego got in the way. Chip is all about Chip, and not the team. Until he gets out of his own way, he won't accomplish anything. He thought he could reinvent the wheel, and he was wrong. Part of being a head coach in this league is evaluating talent and maximizing that talent for your scheme, and Chip failed. He failed miserably. The fact that the Redskins are coming out of that division is proof enough.

I don't hate him. I think he is a bad fit for the NFL right now. I'm not saying he won't be a great head coach in the future. But he better change some things.

Latest posts