Chip Kelly hired by sf

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
NINEster":pet6jxy2 said:
Keeping Harbaugh is fair.

But honestly, if Harbaugh would never relinquish his offense to someone else, he could f'n go for all I care.

It's trendy to say that Kaepernick regressed, but 49er run blocking and run game in general dropped a bit in 2014. The defense also dropped off a bit.

I'd like to see Kaepernick in a new offense. It's a fair request.

We've seen Cam Newton suck with subpar conditions. Robert Griffin IIII.

When Wilson has had garbage games, the Seahawk D and run game have always been there to bail him out.

What happens when the defense bails you out?

You get Ws while other QBs get Ls.

Meanwhile you're regarded as good and they are not.

It is fair to want to see Kaepernick in a new offense. Personally I think he needs Harbaugh on his jock and the structure Greg Roman provided (Roman looks a lot better these days after what he did with Tyrod Taylor). Kelly might be able to provide the same structure, but we'll see.

As for Wilson having garbage games and being bailed out. Here's the thing. Wilson is capable of the occasional off day. Kaepernick doesn't have off-days. He has serious technical and mental deficiencies as a QB that will never be repaired. He's 29 this year. He is what he is. It's about managing those deficiencies and that is what Harbaugh achieved and what Kelly has to try to do if he starts Kaepernick. There's a massive difference between that and a QB having an off day and other areas of the team picking up the slack.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If Chip wants to run the same stuff he ran in Philly and Oregon -- spread predominately out of shotgun, a lot of horizontal throws to RBs, WR screens off the RO fake -- he will pick Gabbert over Kaep.

However, I can also see him testing the waters with Kaepernick. Ceiling is higher and so is the cap hit.

If he's going to do that, he has to be willing to change his offense. Has to. More and more, I'm convinced that Kap needs to play out of the Pistol, i.e. what he played in college and his first 1.5 years under Harbaugh. More of a true "play action" off the handoff from Pistol than out of shotgun. This would allow them to utilize his mobility while also giving him more time to use his big arm. The tempo shotgun stuff will rely too much quick decision-making and accuracy to work for him.

If Chip is going to roll with Kaepernick, big question will be -- is he willing to adapt for his players? He was too stubborn to do that for DeMarco Murray, one of the premiere downhill runners in the game, and it cost him his job -- not to mention all the talented players he shipped off who didn't quite "fit."

Has he learned his lesson?

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
im not counting out chip kelly... or even kaepernick now that he has an offensive mind like kelly, something the niners havent had in a long time. kaepernick just needs to grow up and improve the mental aspect of his game. kelly will keep things simple for him and put him in a better position to succeed. whats funny is 90% of niner fans have already given up on kaepernick before this move.

that being said, until baalke is gone and replaced by someone adequate, i just dont imagine the 49ers being successful.

rideaducati

Reaction score
NINEster":1nekfs9l said:
DavidSeven":1nekfs9l said:
rlkats":1nekfs9l said:
Even IF there was a hire that was perfect or the niners did something correct you wouldn't give credit where it would be due.

Several posters, ENGLISH included, stated that Hue Jackson would be a great hire for the 49ers. And this is when all signs were pointing to him being hired.

Easy to say that now that Jackson will not be the 49er head coach.

You guys notice how all the Harbaugh praise around here happened immediately after he was let go by the 49ers?

I never praised Hairball. After having ten drafts in a row of top 11 picks, the team was ready to win with just about any coach.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Marvin-I just said the offense might help Kap because its simple. How am I spinning. that's not exactly a compliment to Kap. Do you disagree with the concept that a simplified offense would help kap?Was just kidding you Marv note the smile.It's good to see you kicking after being pretty quiet this past season.I have no doubt you'll be spinning things soon however and thats ok because we expect that. :thirishdrinkers:

rlkats

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1ig0ghcl said:
Whatever Kaepernick's issues are pre-snap (and whatever injuries he had last year)...

You see the same thing time and time again -- and did so even when the 49ers were winning. He panics under pressure -- and that's when the boom or bust begins. He's capable of pulling off a 20-yard scramble. When he rolls out and sticks with the pass that's when every Niners fan in the world probably watches through their fingers. He telegraphs throws.

If the plan is to quicken things up and simplify things -- what happens when teams just say -- spy and watch the QB run, take our chances with him throwing on the move. He'll either resort to throwing to the first read and force it or he'll take off and have the kind of picks/mistakes he's had vs Seattle in the last two seasons.

There's an assumption I think by the general NFL observer that Kaepernick is a great fit for Kelly just because he's mobile. Like Kelly's system has to have a mobile QB -- basically because Kelly won at Oregon with guys like Mariota. The Oregon Ducks aren't being re-created in the NFL and I think Kelly understands that.

The Niners are going through a massive transition that'll take at least 2-3 years IMO to re-stock and reload. And I think Jed thinks he can plug in Kelly and start winning quickly. You've lost too many good players (and possibly more of the old guard to go too eg Boone) to think that way. If he thinks Kelly and Baalke share a vision or can work to rebuild this roster -- does anyone believe in that plan?? It really does look like he's panicked a bit after a general lack of buzz around the vacancy and he's gone after one of the big names showing interest.

In all seriousness -- I don't take any great joy out of this. Same with the other teams with awful owner situations (I can't imagine being a Titans fan right now). As a NFL fan you can't really avoid thinking, 'imagine if that was us??'. You had a good thing going with Harbaugh who always felt like a genuinely brilliant coach. Can't help but think if he'd won the power struggle with Baalke and you'd built around him -- you'd be trending in a very different direction. Even if Harbaugh is a pain in the backside to be around for the front office members. You tolerate it IMO for a guy who produces results.

Very good English I agree. Balke is the pain in the ass that I fear is holding the niners back. Hopefully the noose is tight and he plays nice and realizes that he is the issue. Because Kelly can not have control over the players in the aspect of trades etc.......

Marvin49

Reaction score
So now that some pieces are kinda falling into place, things are starting to make a bit more sense.

Last year, the 49ers tried to interview Eagles WR coach Bob Bicknell for OC. The Eagles denied the request. Bicknell BTW, will be the 49er WR coach under Kelly.

Then in OTAs and preseason they installed a "tempo" offense of their own (5th in the NFL in shortest time between snaps). I think they wanted to do something like this LAST year and they couldn't get a coordinator who knew how to do it to work for Tomsula so just ended up hiring Chryst who TRIED to run a tempo offense.

Not so much.

I have no idea if Chips offense will work in the NFL (I have my doubts), but I think the reality is that they've been trying to do something LIKE this for 2 years.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":3beo6zpe said:
Scottemojo":3beo6zpe said:
Who wants to play for the Santa Clara Ducks?

You mean besides JSeahawks?

I was a qb in high school, could throw the ball with the best of them but my 40 time was slower then probably every 300 pound player in the league, so unfortunately I don't fit his offense.

I did read a tweet that chip and 49er scouts were spending time with Vernon Adams at the senior bowl though. Looking for their own version of Russell Wilson perhaps.

Marvin49

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1r9ikcu9 said:
kearly":1r9ikcu9 said:
Scottemojo":1r9ikcu9 said:
Who wants to play for the Santa Clara Ducks?

You mean besides JSeahawks?

I was a qb in high school, could throw the ball with the best of them but my 40 time was slower then probably every 300 pound player in the league, so unfortunately I don't fit his offense.

I did read a tweet that chip and 49er scouts were spending time with Vernon Adams at the senior bowl though. Looking for their own version of Russell Wilson perhaps.

I saw that too.

Obviously they'll be looking at everyone, but it makes me wonder if the pick at #7 won't be a QB.

I've thought for a few weeks that Myles Jack makes ALOT of sense there.

Marvin49

Reaction score
BTW, 49ers interviewing Mike Vrabel for DC and Hardy Nickerson for LB Coach today.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":ficw35io said:
Then in OTAs and preseason they installed a "tempo" offense of their own (5th in the NFL in shortest time between snaps). I think they wanted to do something like this LAST year and they couldn't get a coordinator who knew how to do it to work for Tomsula so just ended up hiring Chryst who TRIED to run a tempo offense.

Not so much.

I have no idea if Chips offense will work in the NFL (I have my doubts), but I think the reality is that they've been trying to do something LIKE this for 2 years.

Well, using 48 seconds of the 45 second play clock wasn't working very well...they HAD to do something.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":myfpdsih said:
Marvin49":myfpdsih said:

Not so much.

Well, using 48 seconds of the 45 second play clock wasn't working very well...they HAD to do something.

Legit LOL. :D

BTW...don't be TOO upset about losing this weekend. If the Seahawks had made the SB they might have had to swim to the stadium. Raining cats and dogs right now. Could be a wet Super Bowl.

Pak40.

Reaction score
I don't like the hire. Never liked Kelly or his philosophy. All I see are his teams going 3 and out every 45 seconds. Then the D will be out for 5 or 6 minutes, and repeat. I do not think it can be successful in the NFL without the exact players needed, which we do not have.

NINEster

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":5zlgwm77 said:
EverydayImRusselin":5zlgwm77 said:
The only thing that worries me is Kaepernick is light years better than Foles/Sanchez/Bradford and I think Chip can build an offense around him.
I've always thought he would be effective in a read-option offense. Although the crucial element here is actually READING THE DEFENSE -- something Wilson is a genius at, and Kaep is...
...unknown at this time.

LMAO.

Wilson is a GENIUS at reading defenses?

Yeah, we saw that this weekend alright.

Please, before you go throwing stones.....