Chip Kelly OC talk again

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think the ceiling and potential is higher with Grubb, but the experience and NFL knowledge is obviously much higher with someone like Kelly.

Which for a 36 year old 1st time coach, is probably the smart way to go. Sometimes young coaches make the mistake of surrounding themselves with young coordinators with very little, or no NFL experience. So it's smart to go with an older, wiser experienced coordinator............of course as long as they're simpatico philosophically and schematically.

Which for as much a Kelly is known for his up tempo high flying offenses, he's NEVER not had a really great creative run game. That would appeal to a coach like Macdonald.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Chip has to be the leader in the clubhouse. His resume is better than just about any candidate. Plus, he has guys like Charbs & Bobo who would vouch for him.

The guy clearly doesn't want to deal with the hassle of being a HC in college. Too many headaches.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't care if I like him or not. If he does a better job than Waldron, so be it. If Macdonald believes in him, I'm gonna' go ahead and trust him.
Since when do you have to like a guy for him to be successful? I don't care if he's an a** if he makes this offense better and more creative.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The guy clearly doesn't want to deal with the hassle of being a HC in college. Too many headaches.

Yessir. Chip's made no qualms about how disheartened he is with the current landscape of college football, and at 60?

Like Saban, probably a good time if you're Chip to dip out of the rat race that is now college football.........and I'm sure the Hawks and Schneider can make it worth his while salary wise.

James in PA

Reaction score
I still think they are waiting to talk with someone from KC or SF and if that person doesn't blow them away, Chip will get the job. No other competitors so they can afford to wait 4-5 more days to decide, but not much longer than that!

CactusJack

Reaction score
I still think they are waiting to talk with someone from KC or SF and if that person doesn't blow them away, Chip will get the job. No other competitors so they can afford to wait 4-5 more days to decide, but not much longer than that!
They still have to interview two minority candidates to satisfy the Rooney Rule. The rule applies to coordinators as well. That might be the holdup here.

GemCity

Reaction score
True…by all means, this new OC should have input on Geno staying or not.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

Both Reid and Shanahan call the plays for the Chiefs and Niners, so I doubt we're interested in any offensive coaches on either team.

James in PA

Reaction score
Both Reid and Shanahan call the plays for the Chiefs and Niners, so I doubt we're interested in any offensive coaches on either team.
True, but we have interviewed the passing game coordinator from the Lions for our OC position and I don't believe he calls plays either.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
True, but we have interviewed the passing game coordinator from the Lions for our OC position and I don't believe he calls plays either.

I don't want to be cynical, but I'd say 90% of the reason we interviewed Townsend was to satisfy the Rooney Rule.

My point is I don't think we're waiting on any of the Chief or Niner coaches, of which could have been interviewed last week during the extra week of the SB window.

My feeling is we're going to hear an announcement of O-coordinator by the weekend.