Chris Carson: Slow to the Hole

Fade

Reaction score
I noticed this in the 1st game, but I wanted to give it a few more games just to make sure and confirm it.

Chris Carson is looking really slow out there, and should not be gobbling up the bulk of the carries. For this offense to really work, you need a guy with burst who can get to the hole on outside zone in a timely fashion. I've seen Carson not get there in time and the hole would close. I also think that is why Seattle has reverted back to shotgun inside zone runs to help Carson.

I was extremely relieved that Alex Collins had the lion's share of the carries in the 2nd half. Collins has more nimble feet and IMO should be the #1 back at this juncture. Carson can fall forward for a yard or two, and can still be a great short yardage back, but Collins right now is the superior player.

Mizak

Reaction score
Fade":1y68gvnn said:
I noticed this in the 1st game, but I wanted to give it a few more games just to make sure and confirm it.

Chris Carson is looking really slow out there, and should not be gobbling up the bulk of the carries. For this offense to really work, you need a guy with burst who can get to the hole on outside zone in a timely fashion. I've seen Carson not get there in time and the hole would close. I also think that is why Seattle has reverted back to shotgun inside zone runs to help Carson.

I was extremely relieved that Alex Collins had the lion's share of the carries in the 2nd half. Collins has more nimble feet and IMO should be the #1 back at this juncture. Carson can fall forward for a yard or two, and can still be a great short yardage back, but Collins right now is the superior player.

Injuries?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Mizak":1y1tis6e said:
Fade":1y1tis6e said:

Injuries?
I think a lot of it is extra muscle mass. Carson looks jacked right now, much more than usual.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Carson hit the hole pretty fast in his long TD run in Minnesota.

I do think he's dinged up a little, which is why he didn't have a great 2nd half in Minny or yesterday. So if he is dinged up? Then yes, we should be seeing more Collins.

Carson needs a fully healthy O-line to really put together a great game, and that hasn't happened yet. So maybe more Collins is the answer, he's a better improviser than Carson.

LTH

Reaction score
Fade":3li0mqa5 said:

I really like the way Collins runs. I have not heard anything about Carson with an injury or anything although I also noticed he didn't seem to be him self against the Niners.

LTH

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
It could be injuries, all I know is right now Collins is the better back and I hope Collins continues to get more carries.

toffee

Reaction score
Potentially, Penny could do well in this system, oh well.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":2r4j4p0f said:
It could be injuries, all I know is right now Collins is the better back and I hope Collins continues to get more carries.

Love Carson, but isn't that what it always is with him, injuries?

But to agree with you, whatever his situation IMO Collins has earned more carries.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
It seemed to me that every time Carson got the ball including his one reception the 9er’s were keyed in. I haven’t watched any replays but it didn’t look like there were any holes and most times the second he got the ball there were several defenders in his grill. Collins definitely looks to have a nice burst but the D didn’t seem to read his plays the same as Chris’s.
I think if used properly the Hawks may have a really nice power/speed combo. I’m all in favor of more passes going to both of them as both do great things in space. Not many defenders want some from Chris when he hits open field.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Like Collins better..
There's always some excuse with Carson..Alex just wants the rock.

cymatica

Reaction score
Carson is a patient runner, it's his style. I wonder though, as someone else pointed out, Wilson was using audibles more after the 1st quarter. Maybe Collins benefited more from the play change. Just a guess

James in PA

Reaction score
I’m on the Collins bandwagon as well. Love the way he runs. More AC, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
James in PA":3p6npx4t said:

Homer approves. No Tapatalk though.

TraderGary

Reaction score
Fade":2i2h52ly said:

Completely agree. Was impressed with Collins toward the end of last season and he looks even faster this year. Has very quick feet for a relatively big back.

I also agree that he's earned more carries. I could see them potentially alternating Carson and Collins on each series, similar to what some of the other teams like the Cowboys are doing with Zak and Pollard for example.

As for Carson, I agree, he's looked really slow thus far this year. I'm wondering if all that punishment he's been taking over the years is beginning to take its toll and his body is beginning to break down as a result.

chris98251

Reaction score
I know they need to adjust looks from time to time, but they keep wanting to sell Carson as a east west turn it up back, he has speed that is decent but it doesn't show there, he isn't decisive in his up field cuts, he is a tackle to tackle guy as a RB but a decent receiver in the flat, he has the ability to bounce outside when the hole is jammed also, but that is different they trying to follow a line of blockers and cut up.

That's one thing, the second is getting him rolling early so he feels the game. That's a series of carries in a sequence of plays on drives.

uncle fester

Reaction score
As Flying Squad alluded to upthread, I wonder how much is down to film study by SF’s front 7 on Carson - versus the little or no prep they would have done for Collins. Even if they had prepped for him, he’s barely carried in Waldron’s offense so there can’t be much film available yet.

No doubt the 9ers fans could chip in, but it did look like they didn’t know tendencies for Collins, and weren’t so aggressive on their moves accordingly, but could pretty much mind read when it came to Carson’s plays.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
James in PA":3oux7n2x said:

Name the excuses

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
James in PA":a18u4y93 said:

Name the excuses

flv

Reaction score
Carson was noticeably slow in Week 1. I don't think there's much shelf-life left.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
flv":2jg12zrt said:
Carson was noticeably slow in Week 1. I don't think there's much shelf-life left.

Yeah, Carson overall had a good game against Indy, but I first noticed it there. On a couple of occasions the play was blocked up well, but he was slow to the hole, it closed, and he got nothing. Outside zone it seems like it takes forever for him to get there. I've noticed they've switched back to more inside zone out of the gun with him in the game. So the coaches see it too, I surmise.