Chris Clemons released

kidhawk

Reaction score
ErikG803":z6p93i0s said:
The thing is, I think a PCJS thing would be to all of a sudden re-sign Tate and do nothing about DE in terms of FA. Maybe they love Mawoya

I am hopeful this means Allen or Ware are about to come here though. But I hope Tate comes along with them

I can't see us not addressing the DE position before cutting Clemons. If they just wanted his money off the books they would have cut him much earlier to get him into free agency sooner. This front office is good to those players who have committed themselves to the program and Clemons definitely fits that description. This is definitely a sign of something to come. The only thing is, there are several high quality DE on the market recently, so what they end up doing is still anyone's guess. Allen is the leading candidate just because we know he's come in for talks, so the timing is right, but I don't put it past Pete and John to have been having talks behind the scenes with another of these guys. I think we'll know soon

HawksSoc

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":vlqyuvi9 said:
SacHawk2.0":vlqyuvi9 said:
I'm guessing Demarcus Ware is about to be a Seahawk.

i would shit my pants. Literally, shit my pants if this happened. Our pass rush would go from monstrous to demonic with that signing.

I was gonna say this, we get to freak out if this happens and its affordable right? Like...its Demarcus freaking Ware, the man is a demon, a future HOFer. That would be in. sane.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think whoever signs Clem is going to be very happy that they did so. Was playing off ACL surgery last season and was somewhat limited due to Seattle's d-line rotation. Whether or not he becomes a sack master again, he will absolutely be a force on someone's D-Line.

12thManNorth

Reaction score
Absolutely love Clem but it was time to go. Was pretty unproductive this year. Though did come on in a few games at the end. PCJS are definitely brewing something up, you can believe that ! I have so much trust in this regime it's goddamn ridiculous. Trust them more than some of my own family members lol

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2bh1p3fz said:
Largent80":2bh1p3fz said:
Wow, Jared Allen must be coming here is my first thought.

We had a hair north of 3 million dollars in cap space after the Bennett and McCoy extensions, I don't think this indicates anything on Allen.. more or less this cut came because Bennett was retained.

Zach Miller watch is next

Where are you getting your figures from? That doesn't sound right at all

Edit: I just double checked, and I just don't see how that is possible. Bennett's cap number for his contract is only $4 million this year ($2 million salary + $8 million Signing bonus prorated over 4 years)

Atradees

Reaction score
Non stop motor for us and became a prolific pass rusher. Good onto you Clemons.

Now who we signin with those freed up greenbacks?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
This move was inevitable after Michael Bennett re-signed. We all talked about it. Not sure why we would now take it to mean Allen or Ware are signing. Reports are that both are expecting $7.5M+. Maybe we do get one of those guys, but this release was going to happen either way.

bryantology79

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1wifs1xf said:
:(

Hate it. Clem found new life here and gave 100% every snap. A true football player in every sense. Favorite memory was in the RRR last season where he verbally chastised Christine Michael for alluding to smoking weed "WE DON'T SMOKE DOPE!". Gonna miss him.

haha..."you duh maddest dude in the locker room, now you wanna be the daddy"

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kidhawk":8o8243zs said:
Hasselbeck":8o8243zs said:
Largent80":8o8243zs said:

We had a hair north of 3 million dollars in cap space after the Bennett and McCoy extensions, I don't think this indicates anything on Allen.. more or less this cut came because Bennett was retained.

Where are you getting your figures from? That doesn't sound right at all

I apparently can't read.

:lol:

We have 20M now. My mistake

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/cap-hit/

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I hope this move was to keep Tate, unless the FO sees something in the draft they want. I would rather keep Tate then to have Allen or Ware. But that's just me and my opinion of how valuable I think Tate is for this team.

kidhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3gzzk9rq said:
This move was inevitable after Michael Bennett re-signed. We all talked about it. Not sure why we would now take it to mean Allen or Ware are signing. Reports are that both are expecting $7.5M+. Maybe we do get one of those guys, but this release was going to happen either way.

This isn't about Bennett. Bennett's contract is structured where it has a LOWER Cap hit this year than he had last year. If they were going to release Clemons no matter what it would have been done by now. There will be another DE signing. It may not be a big name, or it may be a big name. You never know what P & J have up their sleeve, but we didn't cut Clemons without a planned replacement

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
This just blows! I knew it was coming but is still stings. Now I gotta go find a new favorite player! :thfight7:

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
One of the best trades under the Pete and John era. You'll be missed Clemons. I've always wonder what may have happened had that crap turf at Memorial stadium not injured his leg. His loss was that big.

I'm excited to see what Benson Mayowa can do with some regular season snaps. He reminds me a lot of Clemons, funny enough.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kidhawk":14i7n6v8 said:
DavidSeven":14i7n6v8 said:

This isn't about Bennett. Bennett's contract is structured where it has a LOWER Cap hit this year than he had last year. If they were going to release Clemons no matter what it would have been done by now. There will be another DE signing. It may not be a big name, or it may be a big name. You never know what P & J have up their sleeve, but we didn't cut Clemons without a planned replacement

Matching up Bennett's number with Clem's isn't the issue. Clem was held onto as roster insurance in case we got outbid for Bennett. If we missed on Bennett and every other marquee DE, then we probably would've retained Clem. Since Bennett is now in the fold, the FO feels comfortable releasing him. I'm sure they will continue to target DEs in free agency, but people are talking about how this means a deal with Allen or Ware must be in place already. That is not necessarily the case (though it could be true).

acbass

Reaction score
Yeah, this one definitely stings the most. I was hoping we could keep him for one more year. I hope they bring in a suitable replacement. Damn... Clem's gone. That's like the death of an institution here.

Seaswab

Reaction score
I think when he re-signed it was always really a three year deal. It sucks, but this was the plan all along.

Jville

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":22wsphis said:
Largent80":22wsphis said:

Correction of misinformation: The above figure was incorrect. Cap space was about $10 million after the extensions and before the release of Clemons.