Chris Matthews needs to see some game time

MVP53

Reaction score
rideaducati":2gvt046b said:
AgentDib":2gvt046b said:
netskier":2gvt046b said:
MVP 53, Matthews has already been consistent in the two games he has been targeted. Why do you think that practice is a better predictor than games?
Because there's a lot more of it. You're comparing 5 career receptions in games to hundreds if not thousands of attempts in practice.

Matthews goes against a defense that is better at stopping taller receivers than the smaller shifty guys in practice every day. He just isn't going to look as good in PRACTICE as Baldwin and Kearse. On the flipside, Baldwin and Kearse aren't going to look as good in games vs smaller shifty corners. It really is rather simple to figure this out and Pete even mentioned the same thing after the Super Bowl, but here we are again watching Matthews come in for three plays and catching the only ball thrown to him in a game while Kearse and Baldwin get smothered for the majority of the game.

Pete needs to step in and make the call like he did in the Super Bowl. Matthews could actually be a number one receiver, but the way it is going now, he will probably be making big plays on a different team.

I have seen enough balls batted into the air by Kearse to last a lifetime. Please make it stop.

So, again, just so I have this straight. Matthews is clearly and obviously the best receiver on the team, but Bevel hates him for some reason? Pete overrode Bevel and forced Matthews to play, but only in the Super Bowl? And now, Pete is back to allowing Bevel's hatred of Matthews get in the way of his obvious deserved playing time?

Is that what we're going with?

rideaducati

Reaction score
MVP53":168eqhz6 said:
rideaducati":168eqhz6 said:
AgentDib":168eqhz6 said:
netskier":168eqhz6 said:
MVP 53, Matthews has already been consistent in the two games he has been targeted. Why do you think that practice is a better predictor than games?
Because there's a lot more of it. You're comparing 5 career receptions in games to hundreds if not thousands of attempts in practice.

Matthews goes against a defense that is better at stopping taller receivers than the smaller shifty guys in practice every day. He just isn't going to look as good in PRACTICE as Baldwin and Kearse. On the flipside, Baldwin and Kearse aren't going to look as good in games vs smaller shifty corners. It really is rather simple to figure this out and Pete even mentioned the same thing after the Super Bowl, but here we are again watching Matthews come in for three plays and catching the only ball thrown to him in a game while Kearse and Baldwin get smothered for the majority of the game.

Pete needs to step in and make the call like he did in the Super Bowl. Matthews could actually be a number one receiver, but the way it is going now, he will probably be making big plays on a different team.

I have seen enough balls batted into the air by Kearse to last a lifetime. Please make it stop.

So, again, just so I have this straight. Matthews is clearly and obviously the best receiver on the team, but Bevel hates him for some reason? Pete overrode Bevel and forced Matthews to play, but only in the Super Bowl? And now, Pete is back to allowing Bevel's hatred of Matthews get in the way of his obvious deserved playing time?

Is that what we're going with?

If you like to exaggerate, yes, go with that.

I don't think Bevell hates Matthews, I think that Bevell plays the players that look the best in PRACTICE and is slow to realize what isn't working and how to fix the problem. I'm sure there is some loyalty in the mix too and the "best players play" gets set on the back burner a little bit.

I DO think Matthews is a better option on the field than Kearse will ever be, especially with the current rendition of the O-line. Kearse takes time to get open while Russell doesn't have time to wait for Kearse to get open. Matthews is open above his defender immediately.

MVP53

Reaction score
rideaducati":38xoucl7 said:
[

I don't think Bevell hates Matthews, I think that Bevell plays the players that look the best in PRACTICE and is slow to realize what isn't working and how to fix the problem. I'm sure there is some loyalty in the mix too and the "best players play" gets set on the back burner a little bit.

I DO think Matthews is a better option on the field than Kearse will ever be, especially with the current rendition of the O-line. Kearse takes time to get open while Russell doesn't have time to wait for Kearse to get open. Matthews is open above his defender immediately.

Ok. Amazing how something so simplistic is lost on such successful coaches. At least Pete stepped in for the Super Bowl. Too bad he forgot about it over the off season.

rideaducati

Reaction score
MVP53":1ckgzyyw said:
rideaducati":1ckgzyyw said:
[

Ok. Amazing how something so simplistic is lost on such successful coaches. At least Pete stepped in for the Super Bowl. Too bad he forgot about it over the off season.

Exactly. It's not TOTALLY lost on the coaching staff because Kearse played fewer snaps and both Lockett and Matthews played more than last week. Kearse played all but three offensive snaps last week and this week he only played 43 of 60 snaps. Less Kearse is better. Lockett and Matthews combined to play more snaps than Kearse which is good, but both Lockett and Matthews each playing more snaps than Kearse would be even better. It's coming...

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Bevell can't figure out how to use Graham, why would he have a clue how to use Matthews?

OP
OP
P

Paschtorian

Reaction score
Point is,........

........the dude is "hungry".

THAT is what our team needs more-of (like they used to be).

HUNGRY.

Remember those guys?????

Ambrose83

Reaction score
peppersjap":1xuz0q14 said:
I really can't believe there is another Chris Mathews thread. The guy now has 5 career catches because was thrown to once last week. If he was this huge talent he would have been more involved on Sunday. I am not sure why he is even on the roster over Kevin Smith or Kasen Williams, I think if there was anything there he would be on the field doing something. I'm afraid he will waste a roster spot for a while just because he had one good game against some short DB's. I just wish people would put this in perspective...........if he was the next coming he would be playing. Look back to what Pete did when he brought in Mike Williams a few years ago. They obviously only used Chris Mathews to take advantage of a mismatch in the SuperBowl. That being said, I hop I'm wrong!

You mean like that huge talent Jimmy grahm? He sure got lots of targets

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
You mean Bevell's offense that out scored the Packers 17-3 Sunday night, only to have the defense give up a long drive and score and then become derailed by an interception and a fumble?
Once we get our offensive line to give Marshawn a crease to get thru and build a head of steam, we'll be rolling again

timmat

Reaction score
Get him in a 1-on-1 situation, and throw him a ball to high point. He doesn't need to be open. The separation exists in the vertical space above him. It's a great way to beat pressure. Every DB in the NFL saw him in the Super Bowl. Just doing it a few times will draw attention and at the very least might create some openings for others.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Ambrose83":tladdbtb said:
peppersjap":tladdbtb said:
I really can't believe there is another Chris Mathews thread. The guy now has 5 career catches because was thrown to once last week. If he was this huge talent he would have been more involved on Sunday. I am not sure why he is even on the roster over Kevin Smith or Kasen Williams, I think if there was anything there he would be on the field doing something. I'm afraid he will waste a roster spot for a while just because he had one good game against some short DB's. I just wish people would put this in perspective...........if he was the next coming he would be playing. Look back to what Pete did when he brought in Mike Williams a few years ago. They obviously only used Chris Mathews to take advantage of a mismatch in the SuperBowl. That being said, I hop I'm wrong!

You mean like that huge talent Jimmy grahm? He sure got lots of targets

Williams also had Hasselbeck throwing him the ball. Hass would find something that was working and keep going there until it stopped working or opened up something somewhere else. Russell spreads the wealth, or at least tries to. The last time Russell actually exploited a defense was with Matthews in the Super Bowl. Matthews is earning more reps with his play and should be making big plays soon.

RussB

Reaction score
matttd.0.gif

Matthews 2ndhalf catchnocropw529h316

How do you not start this guy? hes been targeted a couple times this season and has caught every pass. Put him on the outside and put baldwin in the slot

rideaducati

Reaction score
2Cool4School":3qxaxp13 said:
matttd.0.gif

How do you not start this guy? hes been targeted a couple times this season and has caught every pass. Put him on the outside and put baldwin in the slot

And Kearse on the bench. And Lockett on the other side.

netskier

Reaction score
Do this, plus deploy Graham wide on the other side, forcing the opposition to deploy both pairs of their sort of tall defenders to defend two tall receivers at the exact same time, so that we win.

RussB

Reaction score
rideaducati":3gry1gyw said:
2Cool4School":3gry1gyw said:
matttd.0.gif

Exactly. Kearse is probably only kept around because he has made some BIG plays in the past. Having Chris Matt on the outside and putting either baldwin or lockett in the slot would be such a better lineup at WR

Geologic

Reaction score
2Cool4School":1xkw7dve said:
rideaducati":1xkw7dve said:
2Cool4School":1xkw7dve said:
matttd.0.gif

Exactly. Kearse is probably only kept around because he has made some BIG plays in the past. Having Chris Matt on the outside and putting either baldwin or lockett in the slot would be such a better lineup at WR
Russell has a lot of trust and chemistry built with Kearse.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
What about Mathews wide on one side, Lockett in the slot, & JG wide to the other side with Willson at TE?

rideaducati

Reaction score
Geologic":15zb6xq5 said:
Russell has a lot of trust and chemistry built with Kearse.

That's great, but it isn't working. It's time to trust and build chemistry with better wide receivers.

hawk45

Reaction score
What's weird is Russell had trust in Kearse almost immediately when he came in to replace Rice. In fact I remember thinking if Russ is going to be good with Kearse like that maybe Kearse is better than an injured Sidney.

Sure wish Russ would have that instant chemistry with Lockett or Graham (or Matthews). Guys who are actual mismatches.

timmat

Reaction score
Just want to say once again, that if the QB is under duress, there's not much defense for this:

Acr8D90

Yeah, yeah - there's more to it than just throwing up the ball. But please prove to me high-point passes to Matthews / Graham don't work, vs. never trying them.

Latest posts