Chris Matthews

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I read somewhere can't remember perhaps on Fieldgulls that Matthews is up to 230 pounds.

That's 12 pounds over his listed weight of 218.

I don't think Matthews was going to be a strong downfield vertical threat that make plays on seperation and route running.

So if his added weight is good weight and he's bigger and stronger, I think he's a good comp for a Brandon Marshall esque WR as someone who can now dominate with his length and now size in the short to intermediate passing game.

So if he can build of his Super bowl success where he dominated mismatches against smaller corners and add that to the influence and opportunity you get with Jimmy Graham, it makes since now why the Seahawks took a guy like Tyler Lockett.

A 6'5, 230 more developed Matthews paired with 6'7, 265 Graham and 6'5, 260 Luke Willson in 2 TE sets I think is going to be much needed in 3rd down chain moving situations and be successfully deadly in the Red Zone.

You put that together with the Lynch and Wilson read option attack, you got big, physical downfield blocking or big WRs Russ can locate quickly. Matthews and Graham have the ability to win jump balls in tight coverage and Luke Willson can settle in a zone or sneak out into the shallow flat and use his athleticism to pick up YAC.

Not to mention the rest of the WRs the team will rotate in that should find success and more opportunity with Graham taking some pressure off on the field: Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett, Norwood.

I think we are going to see a consistently more dominate offense with vast upgrade potential In short yardage and red zone passing.

I'm exciting to see what Russ can do with his big targets and how it can transform the offense in General.

Jville

Reaction score
I remember when 225lbs to 238lbs or so was common for tight ends. There seems to be some evidence that offensive staffs around the league are showing renewed interest in that weight class. This generation has simply relabeled and redeployed them as big receivers.

Chris Matthews reintroduces a unique wrinkle to the offense. He could make a difference in 2015.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
More that I think about the more I hope Kearly gets his wish on the team re-sign Zach Miller if healthy.

I can imagine the stress on defenses trying to defend a Red Zone read option attack with Wilson and Lynch behind center and a 2TE set with Wilson and Miller in line with Graham and Matthews lined up in opposite slots. Run or pass that's deadly.

Jville

Reaction score
It's sometimes confusing but always amusing that there are still articles being written out there as if there are only 11 starters to be considered. This continues while league coaches have moved on to discuss the 14 or 15 starters on their respective units.

Hawks46

Reaction score
12 pounds of muscle on a 6'5" frame isn't all that much. He didn't look really thin last year, so they have him listed at 215 but I'd venture to say he was 220 or so during the SB. 6'5" and 215 is thin, and it would show.

I won't make an assumption on his ability to get downfield. Honestly, he looked like he got great releases in the SB, and he clearly had separation down field, he wasn't just open because he was tall. So I won't assume he can't get down field until I see it.

I don't think 12 lbs will necessarily slow him down. Wilson just gained 10 lbs on a 5'11" frame and says he feels faster, and no one is blinking at that. Here's a neat fact: Matthews is 6'5", if he does weight 230 he ran a 4.5 forty out of Kentucky.

Dorial Beckam Green was measured at 6'6" and 238 lbs, and ran a 4.49 forty. He is a raw route runner and has questionable football intelligence. Yet everyone was going ga-ga over him during the draft.

We literally have that athleticism on the team now. I just read that Matthews had a 4.5 forty ....it didn't say high or low, but DGB was a high 4.4. All I know is that if Matthews can continue to make contested catches like he did in the Super Bowl, we're going to like the way he plays this year. You're going ot have to single him if Graham is on the field. I honestly don't know how you stop this team in the red zone this year.

titan3131

Reaction score
LEAVE DGB ALONE!!!

jk my crush is over.

hope matthews becomes a stud and we can lock him up with a cheap extension, I believe his contract ends this year.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Jville":kwtsvsqu said:
It's sometimes confusing but always amusing that there are still articles being written out there as if there are only 11 starters to be considered. This continues while league coaches have moved on to discuss the 14 or 15 starters on their respective units.

Agree with this to an upper limit. The actual starters are now going to be the total rotation of STARTERS that go in thru the game on offense and defense. Turbo is actually a starter in effect as he is there in rotation. Rotation is the new NORM in this league as all teams need to keep themselves fresh for the latter parts of the game. Seattle and PC started this or extended this trend to the maximum. Go Hawks.

jonkchar

Reaction score
More that I think about the more I hope Kearly gets his wish on the team re-sign Zach Miller if healthy. 

I can imagine the stress on defenses trying to defend a Red Zone read option attack with Wilson and Lynch behind center and a 2TE set with Wilson and Miller in line with Graham and Matthews lined up in opposite slots. Run or pass that's deadly.

Helluva scenario!!!!!!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Haven't seen him on the field in any OTA pics. Is nicked up?

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
hopefully it ain't Mike Williams weight .

He may have went on a eating binge after not being on the field for that last throw .

sutz

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":l6lqmmbm said:
Uh, yeah. blew out knee in SB. Recovering, so no active drills yet. We're discussing how far along his recovery is going.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
sutz":h9i6jbrr said:
HawKnPeppa":h9i6jbrr said:
Uh, yeah. blew out knee in SB. Recovering, so no active drills yet. We're discussing how far along his recovery is going.
Uh, OK. Condescend much?
Nowhere in this thread is recovery, rehab, or even injury mentioned.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1aibft3x said:
sutz":1aibft3x said:
HawKnPeppa":1aibft3x said:
Uh, OK. Condescend much?

I know they mentioned Matthews was nicked up with some kind of leg injury and hasn't participated at OTAs, but did he really blowout a knee? Don't remember that being reported anywhere. Maybe you are thinking of Jeremy Lane?

Edit - Matthews missed the first day of OTAs but it looks like he returned this week.

U9ixr7Z

sutz

Reaction score
Actually, I was thinking of Richardson. My bad. :oops: Carry on.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
sutz":2kc4o6z1 said:
Yep. You're bad.
Richardson got injured against Carolina. I don't think they were in the SB.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
sutz":3e5580ca said:

Ah, I get it. Richardson is on my mind often. Can't help but think how much better he made us once he started catching on. I'm almost certain he would have snagged all of the catches that were pranging off of Kearse's hands in the SB, AND in the NFCC.

gulliver

Reaction score
I hope the guy turns out to be the big body Brandon Marshall-type guy everyone here is hoping.

However, I think we're pinning those expectations on his breakout Super Bowl performance. Just keep in mind, a huge chunk of his SB success owes to the fact that they had no time to game plan for him.

I'm hoping--but not expecting--that his success will be repeated throughout next season when other teams have a chance to gameplan.