Christine Michael released, claimed by Packers

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Fade":290c3cn9 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/798660394235596800[/tweet]

Rap is wrong.
If it was just a football decision they would just make C-Mike or Collins inactive. Rawls isn't coming off IR.

IIRC, Rawls was never put on IR so no need to remove someone for him since he's already on the 53 man roster. Michael was released to clear room to sign Jenkins. That way Siliga gets to keep his job on the roster.

As for Collins, I think the expectations are outrageous. He is a rookie. He is only getting a handful of carries at best. He wasn't the next coming of Lynch or even Barry Sanders as some are trying to make him out to be. Give him a chance. He's got a higher potential than Michael has. We've seen what Christine Michael brings, we have yet to see what Collins could bring. Maybe that's why they are sticking with Collins. Sherm Smith has been correct with running backs more than he's been wrong, I'm giving him the benefit of doubt in this case.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
why is this a surprise? He had the innate ability to turn a 15 yard run into a 7 yard run, couldn't block and couldn't hit the right hole.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":2ekcvsmp said:
This is not surprising to me at all. Prosise is better, Rawls coming back....though I probly would have cut Collins instead. Maybe he will go to and we can bring up Pope.
Agree with this. Thought it was just a matter of time.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":1rb101vc said:
PateratoWilson":1rb101vc said:
There was a clip ( I'm not tech savvy enough or willing to put forth the effort) where Seattle was driving to take the lead again, maybe mid 3rd quarter?, where the camera panned to Michael on the sidelines talking to either Rawls or some other players out of uniform where he just looked dumbfounded and shocked and shrugged his shoulders. I remember thinking he's done but I'm not that smart...
Yes, it was a telling clip, made an impression on me too.

Yep. It was right after Prosise was stopped at the goal line. Sure he was thinking he should be in the game instead.

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":118x1xt3 said:
Fade":118x1xt3 said:
True. But C-Mike currently is 3rd in the pecking order, yet still was cut instead of Collins. It's not hard to read between the lines here. C-Mike was on pace for a 1,000 yds rushing. You don't cut him unless there is some "other" problems as well besides football/strategy reasons.

There are usually multiple reasons for a cut like this, but we rarely hear about the off field stuff unless it was already known to the public.

Also, just an FYI, CM makes about 230k more than AC this season, so there's the extra cap money which they had to use some of to sign the DT.

No - he was on the opening day roster. Season's salary is guaranteed so there is no cost saving

Jeremy517

Reaction score
Fade":35evkwoa said:
True. But C-Mike currently is 3rd in the pecking order, yet still was cut instead of Collins. It's not hard to read between the lines here. C-Mike was on pace for a 1,000 yds rushing. You don't cut him unless there is some "other" problems as well besides football/strategy reasons.

He wasn't on pace for 1000 yards, he was barely on pace for 800 yards.

Also, 1000 yards doesn't really mean anything. 63 yards per game gets you 1000 yards. It is even more meaningless if a different running back would have gotten more yards.

sutz

Reaction score
mikeak":efgt50s1 said:
kidhawk":efgt50s1 said:
Fade":efgt50s1 said:

There are usually multiple reasons for a cut like this, but we rarely hear about the off field stuff unless it was already known to the public.

Also, just an FYI, CM makes about 230k more than AC this season, so there's the extra cap money which they had to use some of to sign the DT.

No - he was on the opening day roster. Season's salary is guaranteed so there is no cost saving
No "cost saving" but he comes off the salary cap when cut IIRC.

Largent80

Reaction score
The F.O. appears to have man love for Alex Collins. Evidently their eyes see something I don't.

What I did see is C.Mike stumbling forward like me on a bender.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
RussB":adajdgll said:
Dont see why, hes better than collins and what if rawls gets injured again?

Pope could have a lot to do with decision. They probably have liked what they've saw from him on the P-squad.

You don't make moves like this during the season unless you have have a bonafide constigency plan because they can't really count on either Rawls or CJP to stay healthy. Nor really Collins to be a workhorse.

Otoh, I think Michael probably falls somewhere between possibly being Percy Harvin and Cary Williams in terms of being selfish, malcontent, poor fit, etc.

When players and coaches were praising Prosise's toughness after NE, i couldnt help to think they were taking shots at Michael in comparison.

I like Michael but you could tell hes been regressing nor possesses the aptitude in his ability to overcome his failures as well as lack of toughness.

In terms of inconsistency, Michael is the RB version of Kearse but Kearse is a team first player and does all the little things right as a WR save for dropping passes.

Why players like Kearse stick around and a more talented player like Michael gets shown the door.

uncle fester

Reaction score
I'll miss him tripping over his own feet.

Good player though. He's not done.

Fade

Reaction score
Collins has a big belly, skinny legs, 4.67 speed, and no power. He has no potential.

The Hawks are clearly ridding themselves of a guy who was reverting back to the old C-Mike. A zebra can't change his stripes. That is the only logical conclusion because C-Mike is clearly the more productive player over Collins.

C-Mike would be great insurance if Rawls were to get hurt again, if it were truly about football reasons, but the Hawks actions are saying, "no thanks". Read between the lines.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":1djkejrt said:
This is not surprising to me at all. Prosise is better, Rawls coming back....though I probly would have cut Collins instead. Maybe he will go to and we can bring up Pope.
Agree with this. Thought it was just a matter of time.

bighawk

Reaction score
I disagree that Jenkins is only signed until Bennett is ready to come back . This is a playoff move in particular against the cowboys. Our run defense needs improving.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Folks,
We MUST trust the FO on Collins. They have seen the guy run at practice. He might have played really bad against NE, where he fumbled ... but the FO has trust in him. Let's trust those guys. Honestly, the FO and our coaches haven't done many things wrong.
Our much maligned O-Line looks decent, when we have a RB, who can hit the hole very fast.
Monday night's game was just an eyes opener for all of us.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Very interesting news. It's apparent the Michael ship has finally sailed its last voyage with Seattle. Still, he wasn't that bad and I would've kept him over Collins.

Let's just hope Rawls goes on a tear, stays healthy and makes this all moot.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Jeremy517":34zajs2c said:
Fade":34zajs2c said:

He wasn't on pace for 1000 yards, he was barely on pace for 800 yards.

Also, 1000 yards doesn't really mean anything. 63 yards per game gets you 1000 yards. It is even more meaningless if a different running back would have gotten more yards.

But if you count 2 playoff games and the Super Bowl, he would have hit 1,000. :2thumbs:

Largent80

Reaction score
bighawk":2bmwic0k said:
I disagree that Jenkins is only signed until Bennett is ready to come back . This is a playoff move in particular against the cowboys. Our run defense needs improving.

I thought this thread was about C Michael getting cut. Did I miss something?

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":sbf1gstc said:
kidhawk":sbf1gstc said:
Fade":sbf1gstc said:

Ummmm no, All NFL contracts are not guaranteed for being on the opening day roster. Those kind of perks are for the better players in the league who have negotiation power. CM signed a one year deal with the only guarantees being his signing bonus and roster bonus. Here are the details

Christine Michael signed a 1 year, $725,000 contract with the Seattle Seahawks, including a $25,000 signing bonus, $25,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $725,000. In 2016, Michael will earn a base salary of $675,000, a signing bonus of $25,000 and a roster bonus of $25,000. Michael has a cap hit of $725,000 while his dead money value is $50,000.

[urltargetblank]http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/christine-michael-12343/[/urltargetblank]

kidhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":2v7jt48k said:
bighawk":2v7jt48k said:

I thought this thread was about C Michael getting cut. Did I miss something?

Jenkins (DT cut from the Saints) was signed and CM was cut to make roster room