Chuck Powell interesting idea - trade Russell

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
This is one of the silliest ideas I have ever heard on this site. Well maybe right up there with Pete is on way out. Trade a franchise quarterback. Really. Not even worth a discussion much less than a 4 page thread dedicated to it. So who do we get if we trade him??? Oh yeah all those quality starters we could draft. Whatever.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Tical21":322a4yoy said:
I love Russell but it became pretty obvious this year that Marshawn and the defense stirred the drink. Seems kind of a waste to pay any qb a bunch of money. The more we pass, the worse we get. We don't even have to take Watson. What if we took Fournette? Maybe Watson makes it near 25? We could have the running game, the young running qb, have money to get the best tackle in free agency, and still get the Browns' top-3 pick next season as well. Remember, we won with a cheap qb. Let's get back to our roots and win championships.

Pretty obvious to who?, Last season WITHOUT our star studded Defense, Marshawn Lynch, & a less than stellar O-Line, Wilson & Baldwin were LIGHTING IT UP with a sensational passing game.
You also fail to give credit for RW's scrambling ability ( that coincided with ML's) , that helped to blow up Defenses with his near 700 rushing yards the season before that.
Without RW's escape/scrambling abilities, all the Defenses would have had to focus on is keying on ML, & even though he would still have some breakout runs, but not near as many without RW'S double threat productions.
It was RW that helped to get the Seahawks OVER THE TOP, and to win a Super Bowl.
Give RW the HELP & PROTECTION he needs, and quit going skimpy-get-by on the Offensive Line.
That shootout with Ben Roethlesbugger & the Steelers last Year (without ML) should have given you your first clue, that RW is quite capable of putting up the numbers when the O-Line isn't shitting themselves.

IrishNW

Reaction score
I DONT AGREE WITH YOUR (mod edit: YOU'RE) IDEA SO YOUR STUPID!!!
:roll: :pukeface:

sdog1981

Reaction score
IrishNW":1gsyg1bp said:
I DONT AGREE WITH YOUR IDEA SO YOUR STUPID!!!
:roll: :pukeface:

I dont agree with your idea so YOUR (mod edit: YOU'RE) SO stupid

Anthony!

Reaction score
scutterhawk":14pcz3k6 said:
Tical21":14pcz3k6 said:
I love Russell but it became pretty obvious this year that Marshawn and the defense stirred the drink. Seems kind of a waste to pay any qb a bunch of money. The more we pass, the worse we get. We don't even have to take Watson. What if we took Fournette? Maybe Watson makes it near 25? We could have the running game, the young running qb, have money to get the best tackle in free agency, and still get the Browns' top-3 pick next season as well. Remember, we won with a cheap qb. Let's get back to our roots and win championships.

Pretty obvious to who?, Last season WITHOUT our star studded Defense, Marshawn Lynch, & a less than stellar O-Line, Wilson & Baldwin were LIGHTING IT UP with a sensational passing game.
You also fail to give credit for RW's scrambling ability ( that coincided with ML's) , that helped to blow up Defenses with his near 700 rushing yards the season before that.
Without RW's escape/scrambling abilities, all the Defenses would have had to focus on is keying on ML, & even though he would still have some breakout runs, but not near as many without RW'S double threat productions.
It was RW that helped to get the Seahawks OVER THE TOP, and to win a Super Bowl.
Give RW the HELP & PROTECTION he needs, and quit going skimpy-get-by on the Offensive Line.
That shootout with Ben Roethlesbugger & the Steelers last Year (without ML) should have given you your first clue, that RW is quite capable of putting up the numbers when the O-Line isn't shitting themselves.

Good post

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
scutterhawk":14scmpkw said:
Tical21":14scmpkw said:

In fairness, I did infer that we should target another running QB.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Tical21":1m79334c said:
scutterhawk":1m79334c said:
Tical21":1m79334c said:

What an absurd assumption. "We won with a cheap QB."

You are COMPLETELY ignoring the fact we had a franchise QB getting paid peanuts. Of course there was some wiggle room with other contracts when your QB is playing like a top 10 QB being paid a 4th WR salary.

:pukeface:

Anthony!

Reaction score
Tical21":27jn4fa9 said:
scutterhawk":27jn4fa9 said:
Tical21":27jn4fa9 said:

The moment you started this ridiculous thread you stopped being fair, you wasted all our time, and subjected us all to your lame attempt to try to make us think you really like Wilson when it is obvious you don't,

It is not a simple as target another running QB, First, off they would need to produce right away as the other core players are getting older. Then they would need to not only Run, but scramble, then also throw for a high completion % in the pocket, and on the run. Then they would need that magic that few QBs have. Then they would need to be able to play hurt. I can go on and on, The issue you seem to always be wanting to ignore is QBs like that don't come around every year. We all know you hate Wilson, so much so you would risk several losing seasons if it meant getting rid of him. But fans waiting well over 30 years for us the be able to be perennial SB contenders and even win 1 or more SB, we have been waiting for over 30 years for a Franchise Qb, and unlike some we aren't going to trade him. SB caliber teams don't trade Franchise QBs. You see my so called love of Wilson has little to do with actually feelings for him specifically but for the fact that after waiting over 30 years we have a legit Franchise QB who is already one of the best and still hasn't reached his prime. IT comes from years of watching futility or at best average and now having something special. Once you get that you don't trade it just to trade it or while ti is still special with years of special still to come. That's what losing franchises do, that is what franchises you laugh at do.

We are coming off a season where our Franchise QB played hurt all year with major injuries most sit out for, were we had no run game, the worst oline in the league and we lost our best defender in ET, and despite all of that we had a chance to go to the NFC Championship game, and a large part of that was Wilson. Now imagine if he was 100% all year. YOU dont trade that kind of QB if your a great franchise.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The vehemence with which some people are going after the OP here is a bit laughable.

Tical is not responsible for the decision on whether to trade RW or not. Nor is Chuck Powell. Trying to convince him as if he was seems an exercise in internet futility.

The scenario is fantasy. Treat it as such.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
All ideas and opinions are not equal. The "idea or opinion" that dinosaurs roamed the earth 5000 years ago is not even worth discussing. Some ideas are wrong. Like this one. Russell is going nowhere and there is better energy spent elsewhere. Discussing practice squad players is more interesting and valid than this.

Largent80

Reaction score
So...Anthony says this....."The moment you started this ridiculous thread you stopped being fair, you wasted all our time, and subjected us all to your lame attempt to try to make us think you really like Wilson when it is obvious you don't, "

Like Tical forces you to respond with walls of text. Tical, you need to channel that power you have.. :lol:

HawkGA

Reaction score
Tical21":28lnir95 said:
scutterhawk":28lnir95 said:
Tical21":28lnir95 said:

Pretty sure you mean imply, not infer.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I think we should get rid of the QB position entirely. Turn the QB into another tackle. With all the money we save we go out and get the biggest, baddest dues we can find, hike the ball to Rawls and everybody just goes into extreme blocking mode. We could also get rid of Graham and his bloated salary. We don't know how to use him anyways, and use his money for the bad ass blockers. No wide receivers either, just big guys that can block. And now that I think of it, this scheme is so simple we can get rid of most of the coaches, Bevell, Cable, hell including Pete, and have some high school coaches, doesn't even really need to be football, could be soccer, they just need to hold a clip board and direct the waterboys.

We be heading to the Superb Owl.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
StoneCold":25gp1ir2 said:
And now that I think of it, this scheme is so simple we can get rid of most of the coaches, Bevell, Cable, hell including Pete, and have some high school coaches, doesn't even really need to be football, could be soccer, they just need to hold a clip board and direct the waterboys.

Hey... I'm qualified!!

sdog1981

Reaction score
Uncle Si":117eub4t said:
StoneCold":117eub4t said:
And now that I think of it, this scheme is so simple we can get rid of most of the coaches, Bevell, Cable, hell including Pete, and have some high school coaches, doesn't even really need to be football, could be soccer, they just need to hold a clip board and direct the waterboys.

Hey... I'm qualified!!

Your calling!! In FACT! You have a championship pedigree too.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
sdog1981":3vgh7ebm said:
Uncle Si":3vgh7ebm said:
StoneCold":3vgh7ebm said:

Hey... I'm qualified!!

22-0.. +84 point differential too... I'll take the offense places you all dream about.

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2emka0p3 said:
sdog1981":2emka0p3 said:
Uncle Si":2emka0p3 said:
StoneCold":2emka0p3 said:

Hey... I'm qualified!!

22-0.. +84 point differential too... I'll take the offense places you all dream about.

I think his ball is shaped different though............................

jeremiah

Reaction score
The smartest thing Seattle could do would be to trade RW. He has peaked as a player and it is all downhill from here. Seriously, this is a Joe Montana moment, where the best thing to do is to replace him as quickly as we can. Deshawn, hell yea. Quite simply, without a top five O line, he cannot win another Super Bowl. With the amount of money wasted on the QB position, we can't afford a top five O line. The only solution is a tall QB with wheels, the formula that Pete used to win the league in 2013-14 will no longer work. We don't have an O line, no Lynch, too much money wasted on the QB....and may I say the WRONG QB. Say what you will, but RW would make great trade bait, an exciting player for a team on the rise, but as a HOF player or consistent star...NOPE.