Chuck Powell interesting idea - trade Russell

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JTB":2l89rbym said:
I get all of this is hypothetical but it simply amazes me that this discussion is still going on. Clearly, some of the posters here have no idea about how the salary cap works. Wilson arguably is the one guy on the team who's untradeable at least from a cap perspective. All of the prorated signing bonus money would have to accelerate to this year's cap. A trade would subtract $ 18.8 M in cap space but it would add $ 18.6 in prorated signing bonus money with a net savings of $ 200 K.

The argument of being able to use those resources more efficiently doesn't matter, at least not for 2017. Given the makeup of the core and the window of opportunity, it's about as stupid an idea as one can come up with.

Again, I think alot of people are getting overly emotional about something that isn't going to happen. Maybe one poster here thinks the team actually should do it (and I think that poster might actually just be having some fun with our more angst ridden members)

But This is about as strong as a reason as any, really. It basically closes one window in the hope of opening one (maybe even a bigger one) later down the road.

The scenario (pulled out of thin air) was the Walker trade. Dallas was awful and took a few years before the commodities acquired in the trade paid off.

I saw the thread potential as more of a "Moneyball" type conversation. Your logic makes much more sense then "you don't trade our best player!!!"

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Anthony!":3dghrmwv said:
Uncle Si":3dghrmwv said:
oldhawkfan":3dghrmwv said:
If they were to trade Russell Wilson, the Seahawks would become the laughing stock of the NFL.

Houston's 1st, 3rd and 4th this year and 1st and 2nd next year, plus Brock Osweiler... for Wilson

(this is a mere fragment of the Herschel Walker trade)

LOL yeah we loose, and Houston becomes perennial SB contenders

Well, and Dallas initially lost in the Walker trade... but a couple years later turned the picks into a dynasty

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JTB":cv1eg1i1 said:
I get all of this is hypothetical but it simply amazes me that this discussion is still going on. Clearly, some of the posters here have no idea about how the salary cap works. Wilson arguably is the one guy on the team who's untradeable at least from a cap perspective. All of the prorated signing bonus money would have to accelerate to this year's cap. A trade would subtract $ 18.8 M in cap space but it would add $ 18.6 in prorated signing bonus money with a net savings of $ 200 K.

The argument of being able to use those resources more efficiently doesn't matter, at least not for 2017. Given the makeup of the core and the window of opportunity, it's about as stupid an idea as one can come up with.

According to Si, logic and reason have no place in this thread......it's purely to hypothetically discuss something that won't happen, and then argue about those things that will never happen.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":10sjd7py said:
JTB":10sjd7py said:

According to Si, logic and reason have no place in this thread......it's purely to hypothetically discuss something that won't happen, and then argue about those things that will never happen.

Logic and reason have every place in this thread. I'm not the one acting emotional about something that won't happen, nor arguing. Many times i tried to add facts why you wouldn't do it. Much like JTB just did. It's an off-season discussion thread. Honestly, if some of you followed along you'd see I was really helping your point.

But go ahead and list a bunch of QBs who used to play for Seattle and sucked and tell us why that's the reason you won't do it. If it upsets you that much, don't respond. Have a word with yourself first before bringing me up.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":v4ghmles said:
But go ahead and list a bunch of QBs who used to play for Seattle and sucked and tell us why that's the reason you won't do it. If it upsets you that much, don't respond. Have a word with yourself first before bringing me up.

Which me, cause there's like 47 of them all talking at once.

I gave you 3-4 logical posts, you're the one that brought up a QB that is making barely less than Russell, therefore making a terrible hypothetical, and therefore x 2 a terrible idea. Logical? Nope, not even close. Maybe you should do your homework on your examples before posting.

At least pick a mediocre to bad QB that's making a lot less than Russell if you're gonna use that premise.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Uncle Si":38rio2g6 said:
Sgt. Largent":38rio2g6 said:
JTB":38rio2g6 said:

Logic and reason have every place in this thread. I'm not the one acting emotional about something that won't happen, nor arguing. Many times i tried to add facts why you wouldn't do it. Much like JTB just did. It's an off-season discussion thread. Honestly, if some of you followed along you'd see I was really helping your point.

I suppose, since it's the off season, discussing the removal of your big toe has merit as an exercise in futility. I mean, what good is the big toe? They say it helps you keep balance, but I have arthritis in my big toe and can't put any weight on it at all without excruciating pain and I never fall down. It would probably hurt less if I did have it removed and the joint wouldn't move which is what causes the discomfort. You know the more I think about it I'm going to get rid of that damn thing. But the same as my QB argument, I'm not getting a new one. The one I have is worthless, why get a new one?

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":30zv91vh said:
Seymour":30zv91vh said:
Uncle Si":30zv91vh said:
who said anything about his height?

Still having trouble keeping up?

I'm not doing the work for you.

So... noone did then?

Brilliant addition

Boy you just want to start in with everyone today huh?

Yes, the midget was referred to more than once. Please read through the entire thread, read EVERY word, do not skim, do not assume, and just take your time to gather in the meaning of the post. :snack:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1qroav9w said:
Uncle Si":1qroav9w said:

Which me, cause there's like 47 of them all talking at once.

I gave you 3-4 logical posts, you're the one that brought up a QB that is making barely less than Russell, therefore making a terrible hypothetical, and therefore x 2 a terrible idea. Logical? Nope, not even close. Maybe you should do your homework on your examples before posting.

At least pick a mediocre to bad QB that's making a lot less than Russell if you're gonna use that premise.

You've almost caught on. You should read more of the thread I think and see if it finally comes to you.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":323vdqq4 said:
Uncle Si":323vdqq4 said:
Seymour":323vdqq4 said:
Uncle Si":323vdqq4 said:
who said anything about his height?

Still having trouble keeping up?

I'm not doing the work for you.

So... noone did then?

Brilliant addition

Boy you just want to start in with everyone today huh?

Yes, the midget was referred to more than once. Please read through the entire thread, read EVERY word, do not skim, do not assume, and just take your time to gather in the meaning of the post. :snack:

Did I refer to the midget?

If you read the thread, every post, including mine, and then responded to mine, you might catch on.

I'll leave you to it. Let me know how it works out.

redhawk253

Reaction score
The goal of every front office is to find a franchise qb... it would be incredibly stupid to let such a young and talented qb with no issues go for cap reasons when he isnt even hurting the team in that sense.. beyond that if we did get rid of wilson in lala land.. what makes you think watson is better than boykin? That kid may have a future better than tyrod taylor.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

redhawk253

Reaction score
Also.. refer to the chargers letting brees walk........

Anthony!

Reaction score
redhawk253":2jk1x9yc said:
Also.. refer to the chargers letting brees walk........

they let him walk after he got a major injury to his throwing shoulder. Not the same thing

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
Look, young qbs are coming in more and more ready to play and win. Couple that with the fact that so many qbs win big, get paid big, and then their team can't get back, and eventually someone is going to bet on their ability to find and judge talent and go for it. I mean, can you imagine if we got a dope qb making nothing, and added 2-3 more pro bowlers and had two extra top-5 picks? With this current roster? It's a huge risk, but so is paying your qb. And it could pay off huuuuge. Somebody is gonna do it at some point, with qb salaries nowadays. Some innovative front office.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Tical21":1rloy7rt said:
Look, young qbs are coming in more and more ready to play and win. Couple that with the fact that so many qbs win big, get paid big, and then their team can't get back, and eventually someone is going to bet on their ability to find and judge talent and go for it. I mean, can you imagine if we got a dope qb making nothing, and added 2-3 more pro bowlers and had two extra top-5 picks? With this current roster? It's a huge risk, but so is paying your qb. And it could pay off huuuuge. Somebody is gonna do it at some point, with qb salaries nowadays. Some innovative front office.

If your dislike of Wilson was not so well know. Some might buy this. That said some one will try and if they fail they will he Cleveland for the next 10 plus years. Me while those that didn't as history has shown will be perennial playoff contenders and even win an SB or 2. The risk is not worth it which is why no one will do it

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1vfwwrqg said:
How is this thread still going on. :lol:
Tcal trying to convince everyone that he knows what the hell he's talking about, and not many doofus takers buyin'.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Tical21":17xrotdq said:
Look, young qbs are coming in more and more ready to play and win. Couple that with the fact that so many qbs win big, get paid big, and then their team can't get back.

Like who is coming in and winning besides Wilson. Like Luck, RG3, Kapernick, who else? Dak had a good year his first year but so did all those just mentioned. So QB's who get padi big never win the big one. I guess Brady, Manning, and Big Ben never won one after they got paid. Don't let things like facts get in the way of your argument.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I'd get rid of some of our older "core" on D before i'd move russell.

Here's an interesting thought to consider. In PC/JS first two off seasons, they were able to draft 6 fantastic all pro level starters (ET, Kam, Sherm, Bobby, KJ, Irvin). Since then (4 years), they've only come up with 2 (Shead, Clark).

There's your issue, not russ.

Latest posts