CJ Spiller released, WIll Tukuafu re-signed

Largent80

Reaction score
Bevell gets Tukuafu back and will split him out wide again. Those hands and speed are hard to ignore.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Right now, our ST returner, Lockett, is hurt.

Spiller at least will get the damn ball occasionally past the 30 and potentially give us some short fields to work with (when healthy). We need effective ST play when you consider how bad our offense is.

Additionally, a RB that catches the ball takes some pressure off Russ.

There has been zero proof that Collins or Procise can even run the ball effectively. So banking on it makes zero sense.

The reason I wanted Pope is because it shored up a weakness in returns and it gave us a back RB if Rawls needs more recovery time. Instead we kept two RB that produced a net nothing really (2 plays by Collins were effective but Procise I could replace with an orange road cone and get the same results).

And we are back to being thin at ST returns and backup RB.

Yuck.

mrt144

Reaction score
How many RBs do we have that are capable and experienced in 3rd down blocking?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Rat":1zbmai05 said:
ivotuk":1zbmai05 said:
Finally! Someone speaks common sense! Why do people have this elevated perception of Spiller? He's tentative because he's afraid of getting hurt.

There is a reason he can't stay on a team.

He was injury prone at Clemson, nothing has changed! Well, except he's older and more injury prone now.

Probably because he's very fast and we barely got to see what the offense could do with a new toy.

Early in his career, he made Marshawn Lynch expendable. Anyone who can do that has talent.

I would have rather seen if Prosise can stay healthy a little longer before cutting Spiller, but there are only so many spots on the roster. It probably wasn't an easy decision.

So you're saying that CJ Spiller was a better running back than Marshawn?

That's revisionist history. We got Lynch for a 4th because he kept getting in to trouble.

Spiller is NOT what everyone attributes him to be. Why is he without a job? Buffalo and New Orleans didn't want him...

nanomoz

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1hbu5afx said:
A rather puzzling move. Pete is obviously just enamored with Prosise and Collins. I don't get it.

And evidently we're going to try more I formations and ground and pound against New Orleans.

It's really not a puzzling move when you consider that Tukuafu can double as a TE/FB hybrid that can lend chip and lead blocking help.

Rat

Reaction score
ivotuk":286ke2qp said:
Rat":286ke2qp said:
ivotuk":286ke2qp said:
Finally! Someone speaks common sense! Why do people have this elevated perception of Spiller? He's tentative because he's afraid of getting hurt.

He was injury prone at Clemson, nothing has changed! Well, except he's older and more injury prone now.

Probably because he's very fast and we barely got to see what the offense could do with a new toy.

Early in his career, he made Marshawn Lynch expendable. Anyone who can do that has talent.

I would have rather seen if Prosise can stay healthy a little longer before cutting Spiller, but there are only so many spots on the roster. It probably wasn't an easy decision.

That's revisionist history. We got Lynch for a 4th because he kept getting in to trouble.

Spiller is NOT what everyone attributes him to be. Why is he without a job? Buffalo and New Orleans didn't want him...

I'm not saying that at all. He proved unequivocally that he isn't. I'm saying he's so talented that he made the Bills consider Marshawn to be expendable. I doubt they make that trade with us if they don't have Spiller or somebody they believe will be comparable.

I wouldn't trade anything to get Spiller back, but I thought taking him on was a reasonable gamble, and I wish we were able to see if it could work out a little longer.

Largent80

Reaction score
nanomoz":qr6nxkmi said:
West TX Hawk":qr6nxkmi said:
A rather puzzling move. Pete is obviously just enamored with Prosise and Collins. I don't get it.

And evidently we're going to try more I formations and ground and pound against New Orleans.

It's really not a puzzling move when you consider that Tukuafu can double as a TE/FB hybrid that can lend chip and lead blocking help.

He can also play DL.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
nanomoz":3vn7ri0q said:
West TX Hawk":3vn7ri0q said:

That's very true and I've always liked Tukuafu and his toughness and versatility, I just would rather have seen Collins released or Prosise IR'd instead of dumping Spiller so soon. It's great to have Tuk back though.

mrt144

Reaction score
ivotuk":1k2nj8le said:
Rat":1k2nj8le said:
ivotuk":1k2nj8le said:

Webb and Sowell are thankful they don't play RB given these standards of measure.

AgentDib

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3xwgy4s6 said:
I think it's just more of a concern that Prosise is unproven and has been less than stellar whereas we know what we're getting with Spiller.
And what are we so certain about getting from Spiller? He had a handful of touches for us with one good catch, one fumble and a drop. If past history was enough to keep aging RBs around then we'd still have Curt Warner and the Saints wouldn't have cut Spiller in the first place.

Prosise is a youngster the Hawks targeted in the draft for their empty set looks and they are excited about finally getting him into that role. At the same time this frees up a roster slot to bring Tukuafu back (until the next time we need to cut him). Win-Win.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Spiller and Prosise are the same dude. Having both on the roster is redundant.

And of course Pope comes up again, he with his 1 career rushing yard on a Jets team with 2 wins :lol:

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1huec88t said:
Spiller and Prosise are the same dude. Having both on the roster is redundant.

And of course Pope comes up again, he with his 1 career rushing yard on a Jets team with 2 wins :lol:

This is exactly what I have been thinking. The two guys seem very similar and a bunch of people are saying we already KNOW exactly what we're getting in Prosise. I know I haven't seen enough to make that judgement, he has had hardly any snaps.

I also think everyone agrees Tukuafu coming back is a plus, especially with Willson out for are bit.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3jy0ztfb said:
Right now, our ST returner, Lockett, is hurt.

Spiller at least will get the damn ball occasionally past the 30 and potentially give us some short fields to work with (when healthy). We need effective ST play when you consider how bad our offense is.

Additionally, a RB that catches the ball takes some pressure off Russ.

There has been zero proof that Collins or Procise can even run the ball effectively. So banking on it makes zero sense.

The reason I wanted Pope is because it shored up a weakness in returns and it gave us a back RB if Rawls needs more recovery time. Instead we kept two RB that produced a net nothing really (2 plays by Collins were effective but Procise I could replace with an orange road cone and get the same results).

And we are back to being thin at ST returns and backup RB.

Yuck.

All reports say Lockett is close to 100 percent.

Prosise has played all of 2 games this year and missed most of the preseason, but good to see you're able to evaluate a player off of literally no action.

When both Lockett and Prosise are healthy, Spiller is completely redundant.

CJ Spiller is a fun back on Madden but pretty damn average in real life. There's a reason we were his 3rd team in a short amount of time.

Fade

Reaction score
I like Tukuafu as a 2nd FB, and backup DL guy.

So good luck running into 9 man boxes. See the Rams game.

Alternatively he isn't effective either when they motion him out wide. See the Rams game.

The Seahawks need a FB that can do a little bit of everything. Ala Mike Rob/Derrick Coleman Run, Block, Catch. Tukuafu is too 1 dimensional, and makes the offense too predictable.

pmedic920

Reaction score
And a QB was signed to the PS.

All this makes sense, now that we know RW has an injury that may effect his throwing ability.

There's a thread on that part of the equation:{)

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Expect to hear Tukuafu cut again on Thursday.

Seriously is there something in his contract that gives him a bonus if he stays on our roster for longer than a week?

Throwdown

Reaction score
ivotuk":l096jhoi said:
Rat":l096jhoi said:
ivotuk":l096jhoi said:

Marshawn made himself expendable in Buffalo by messing up off the field, Spiller had nothing to do with that.

getnasty

Reaction score
CJ Spiller hasn't been relavent in like 4 years people, it's ok.