Clemons

Basis4day

Reaction score
MVP53":2aq00k2x said:
You may have to correct me if I'm wrong on the procedure, but wouldn't other teams have the opportunity to negotiate with Clemons if Seattle cuts him, even if the plan is to try to restructure his contract?

Other teams know Seattle is against the cap and Clemons has long been thought to be a casualty. So, why trade a pick, when you could just sign him after Seattle cuts him?

If released by Seattle Clem would be a free agent and free to sign with any other team. Now what the Hawks could due is tell Clem to restructure or be released and see what happens.

Now as far as why you would trade a pick, it would be to guarantee that you would receive Clem and he wouldn't have a chance to sign with another team. The downside is you're on the hook for Clem's contract as stands.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
A lot of shortsightedness in this thread IMO. Clemons turned in damn near an MVP level performance in the post season and especially the Superbowl. Yes he is 32, yes he just returned from major knee surgery, yes his cap hit and salary are high numbers, and yes he only got 4.5 sacks this year. If you only look at the numbers it seems pretty cut and dry. But the way I see it, Clemons play (to say nothing of Mebanes!) this year was the cornerstone of this dominant Dline's success!

In 2012 teams practically had to deal with only Clemons and Irvin. And When Clemons got hurt in Washington then they only had to stop Irvin. Remember how that worked out? Pressure dropped to nothing! For 2013 Pete decided to add Bennett and Avril and also FA signing Benson Mayowa to be able to apply pressure across the entire front. When teams have to scheme for this it left potential fissures in the opposing teams OLine that Avril and Bennett were then able to exploit perfectly to Pete's plan. My point being, the formula works and if you are going to meddle with the formula that proved so successful in 2013 you had better have another guy who could fill that slot on the cheap or we'll be yammering next November about how our pass rush has gone to hell in a hand basket. I think Clemons is pivotal to this and I sincerely hope he re-structures and stays here for another go. And If he does stay, I'm buying his damn Jersey!

Jville

Reaction score
"Chris Clemons is a special athlete" ...... Pete Carroll

Chris Clemons swift rehab from a knee injury was remarkable. I don't know where he will finish his career. But, I think another 3 campaigns in the NFL is viable .... he's a warrior .... Jville

JMR

Reaction score
Hard to see any team out there trading for him with his age, recent knee injury, and big salary. Nah, not happening.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
He will either re-structure and stay with is, or will get released and eventually re-sign with us. You heard it here first :) I'm thinking this will play out the same way it did with Red. Red just wanted to stay with the Seahawks, but Clemons will have a much more compelling reason. He's getting longer in tooth and probably wants to stay with a great organization that has a very good chance of getting him another ring. Also, at this point in his career, I'm sure he's tired of moving around. He'll be back, and I'm think Red will as well.