Cleveland Browns pull off best value trade ......

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Guy from Cleveland on a local radio show said to host that Cleveland was
Looking to offload him and pay half his salary, and they are trying to get Jimmy G from
NE. I like what they are doing, will it be successful? Time will tell.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Mn what a disaster of a signing for the Texans. Pay all that money for a terrible QB, and then have to give away a draft pick just tobget rid of the guy without eating his salary.

The Browns essentially just bought a 2nd round pick with their massive amount of cap room.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
So if the Browns just cut Brock, they pay $16 million for a second-round draft pick? Why does that not sound like a good deal to me?

chris98251

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2rzcd46y said:
So if the Browns just cut Brock, they pay $16 million for a second-round draft pick? Why does that not sound like a good deal to me?

They may be setting up a trade for Grappalo with picks also. It would be worth it to them considering the QB history there is they could land a Franchise QB, the Pats on the other hand are going to mild all those udders and come out of this with Brady's replacement when they want and who they want. Belichek will use the 1's and 2's he gets for Grappalo to position himself to get a QB he will target whether it's this year or next year or the year after.

rcaido

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1bsslp6t said:
Yeah I don't get it either. They ahve to give up their 4th round pick too. So pretty much just moving up 1 round and absorbing the 16 million contract. It helps the brown try too meet the required salary cap spending. Seems really lazy then trying to find players that can actually help their team. I mean that's 16mill, they could have gotten some 1 year prove it players or maybe sign Pryor. I don't get why this is consider a genius move. Can someone explain.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
The Browns have over 100 million in cap space. The most space in the history of the salary cap. There is no way to spend all of that this season unless you're willing to significantly overpay for mediocre vets. Spending some of it on a high draft pick in a loaded draft makes a ton of sense.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
rcaido":3mraqeya said:
Siouxhawk":3mraqeya said:
Yeah I don't get it either. They ahve to give up their 4th round pick too. So pretty much just moving up 1 round and absorbing the 16 million contract. It helps the brown try too meet the required salary cap spending. Seems really lazy then trying to find players that can actually help their team. I mean that's 16mill, they could have gotten some 1 year prove it players or maybe sign Pryor. I don't get why this is consider a genius move. Can someone explain.
Exactly. Burn what they need to for salary cap requirements on ACTUAL players they can use. It seems to me like they're just throwing money away.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Superb move by Cleveland. Yes, it remains to be seen how the drafted players will turn out, but it's clear the people in the Front Office now at least know how to deal, rather than some previous incarnations.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Also, really do want to see them turn it around with the next two drafts. The perennial doormat status need to be passed to someone else.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
rcaido":2de8a9mk said:
Siouxhawk":2de8a9mk said:

They have way to much cap space to spend. They also got a 6th round pick in the deal so they didnt just move up from the 4th to the 2nd.

Also spening 16 mil to get a draft pick that could be with you for yearsis better than wasting 16 mil on a 1 year deal for some aging vet when you arent anywhere close to being good anyway. This is a build for the future move, youre suggesting a win now move which they have no chance of doing.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":3hy0htex said:
rcaido":3hy0htex said:
Siouxhawk":3hy0htex said:

They have way to much cap space to spend. They also got a 6th round pick in the deal so they didnt just move up from the 4th to the 2nd.

Also spening 16 mil to get a draft pick that could be with you for yearsis better than wasting 16 mil on a 1 year deal for some aging vet when you arent anywhere close to being good anyway. This is a build for the future move, youre suggesting a win now move which they have no chance of doing.
I was thinking more along the lines of a 3-year deal for an up-and-comer, a guy they could have around as they build. I just believe that $16 million is way too much to pay for THE CHANCE to draft two players in the 2nd and 6th rounds.

I guess they could keep Osweiler as a backup to Kessler or whatever rookie they draft and waive RG3 to recoup some of that cash.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2qou57yb said:
XxXdragonXxX":2qou57yb said:
rcaido":2qou57yb said:
Siouxhawk":2qou57yb said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a 3-year deal for an up-and-comer, a guy they could have around as they build. I just believe that $16 million is way too much to pay for THE CHANCE to draft two players in the 2nd and 6th rounds.

I guess they could keep Osweiler as a backup to Kessler or whatever rookie they draft and waive RG3 to recoup some of that cash.

But they werent going to use all that money anyway, atleast on useful players. Theyd have to go out and throw stupid money at everyone to sniff that 100 million they have to use. They just bought a pick with what was going to be unused cash.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ They don't have to spend it this year. The unused cap rolls over

There are rules on how much you have to spend but it takes multiple years into account. No idea what the real number Cleveland HAS to spend but it is NOT $100 million.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking too. But even if they were forced to spend, why not go nuts in the free agent market and give a lot of that money up front and bring in key players like Buoye, DeSean and maybe even offer huge deals to Hightower or Calais Campbell when they had the chance? Jacksonville seems to be doing this. God knows they need talent on that roster.
That said, I do understand that they also want to load up on draft picks for next year to land the quarterback who's supposed to be all the buzz. College guys help me out here.

mikeak

Reaction score
The real reason why is in this article - they are playing moneyball now. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1515 ... all-browns

They will load up in the draft and try to get a lot more value from draft picks than they would by paying someone $16million. The secondary reason is they rather get that value next year and in four year contracts than get a good guy now. It also helps them with better draft picks for next year whereas a decent player now will hurt their draft picks next year.....

Yesterday when I read about the deal I didn't like it. I like it more today as I understand the 4th round is at the end of the round and not beginning. Also if they do resign Osweiler converting a decent amount to signing bonus then they can trade him assuming he has say $4-$6million in annual salary. He is a serviceable backup. So if they do that they can probably get their 4th round pick back and save $4million-$6million so now they end up buying a second round pick for $10 million which is a LOT more palatable as a deal.....

Jacksonville has been spending like that for the past few years. If anything they are proving why Cleveland should not go that route.....

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Yes, if they keep him as a backup or trade him for either picks or contract burn, that is more palatable. But just waiving him and eating $16 million wouldn't be the route I'd go.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
I keep seeing this "go sign a bunch of free agents" talk. But Im just not seeing all these free agents that would be better for the Browns future than a 2nd round pick could be.

I do somewhat agree that keeping or trading Brock would be better than releasing him, however I still think that either way this is a good move for the Browns future. As long as they dont squander those picks on more Johny Manziels.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Browns eat the contract, and trade for Garoppolo. Osweiler becomes the 2nd GOAT leading Belichick to his record smashing 9th Super Bowl win. The rest of the NFL scratches their heads.

Latest posts