Cliff Avril checks in on where things went wrong

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":19xuqh2i said:
The_Z_Man":19xuqh2i said:
This is the best take on this I've heard.

By one of the guys who actually ran the defense the Patriots were in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUSOawqFhkY

It was the best play call, because they would have stuffed Lynch if they ran it. That was the play the Patriots struggled to defend in their own practice. They were ready for it, but it was hard to defend.

Carole and Bevell made the EXACT RIGHT playcall.

Receivers didn't do their jobs. It was poor execution.

That's why people need to let this go.

Just shut up and admit you lost the game because you got outplayed. Period. Players shut up. Fans shut up.

Just shut up and move the hell on.

If they had made the exact right play call with the exact right people this discussion would not be happening now would it.

Drops Mic !

Pick that mic up!! They did all that but just forgot to do it at "the exact right moment". :twisted: :twisted:

Own The West

Reaction score
mikeak":28mx8zt2 said:
SoulfishHawk":28mx8zt2 said:
What about the D giving up a 10 point 4th quarter lead? That had nothing to do with it? :lol:

I am SO TIRED of this narrative

Seahawks offense LAST FOUR POSSESSIONS in the Super Bowl

Number of plays
4, 3, 3, 7

Time:
2.2, 2.07, 1.03 and 1.42

Result

Punt, Punt, Punt, Interception

The ONLY thing the offense accomplished on those four drives was putting a depleted defense back on the field time after time. The offense and specifically Bevell and PC gave the game away

This.

We lost the Superbowl in the late 3rd, early 4th when we kept throwing the ball and stopping clock rather than running it down their exhausted defense's throats.

The final play only came about because of Kearse's ridiculously lucky falling down-bobble catch, otherwise it's a hail mary to end the game instead.

The justification afterwards is that Russell wanted to stay aggressive and throw the ball. Lynch was gashing the defense and killing the clock. The secondary was down 2 starters in the game and 4 on the year. NE's offense is built on dink and dunk passes that wear down the defense and allow explosive 4th quarters. It was a complete failure of coaching leadership and pandering to Russell Wilson.

I can see where a proud defense might feel betrayed by the coaches and stop listening.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Seymour":ku6dloi6 said:
Sgt. Largent":ku6dloi6 said:

If the formation and personnel was set up for failure before the ball was snapped, why did the play work earlier in the year?

Obviously for one because the other team didn't know that the play was coming the first time, when it's now a known fact NE did. THAT play earlier is what gave them the information (only play run from that exact formation) along with Browner. Also different defense is another obvious answer.

Exactly. It will go down in history as one of the worst play calls ever and deservedly so.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2dbpb0dz said:

It was the best play call, because they would have stuffed Lynch if they ran it. That was the play the Patriots struggled to defend in their own practice. They were ready for it, but it was hard to defend.

Just shut up and admit you lost the game because you got outplayed. Period. Players shut up. Fans shut up.

Your Post was PERFECTLY EXECUTED Z_Man :irishdrinkers:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":275mhm6a said:
Just saw a really good documentary about WW2 from space on history channel this weekend. I wonder why people won't "just shut up" about a war that ended 75 years ago?? :roll:
Because snivelers can't accept facts when it doesn't fit their negativity, EVEN when it comes up and bites them in the nubbins, or slaps them in the puss. LOLOLOL

hawkfan68

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3nazhipw said:
The_Z_Man":3nazhipw said:

Your Post was PERFECTLY EXECUTED Z_Man :irishdrinkers:

Yes..but it still fails to shut people up. Which is the point some are making. Even perfect execution may not have resulted in a score with the personnel that was used. IMO, That is a coaching staff failure. It's their responsibility to get the right guys on the field. If they would have used Willson or Matthews in Lockette's spot, there would be no way Butler would have knocked them out of the way like he did with Lockette.

But I don't think that is the reason the team fell apart. I believe It's because the management swept it under the rug and didn't hold the people that were responsible accountable. There were different rules in play and that didn't sit well with some who gave their blood, sweat, and tears for the team.

NINEster

Reaction score
Given the situation (clock running, one timeout, goal line defense against 11 personnel, Lynch's stats from the 1 that year) a pass was the best call IMHO.

Slant call was inexcusable. Too risky.

A run/pass option was certainly the call here, esp. with a Wilson. Throw it out of the end zone at the slightest hint of doubt....

Even a spike is the ideal call because now it gives you two straight run shots with Lynch if you so choose.

Belichick not calling the time out will go down as the best "no timeout called" of all time. Underrated.

It would have forced the most significant goal line stand since maybe the Ice Bowl game.

Only thing the SB loss to NE guaranteed was just not getting that 2nd trophy.

Speculating as to the future is misguided. Carroll's philosophy of an overgrinding defense with a decent but not great offense was not the formula (and never will be the formula) for dynasty level dominance. He also wore down Lynch nicely so that the next season with the team was his last.

Sure, I think the loss did affect the team somewhat but their inability to move past the NFC divisional game the following 3 years indicates that the team was just not constructed for the long term dominance they were hoping for.

The Seahawks broke trends enough to win a SB in unique fashion, but long term it was harder to keep that formula going than the mainstream.