Cliff Avril: Situation exaggerated, Wilson will stay in SEA

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Another Russ thread, but with a solid, named source this time.

Per Cliff Avril, the Russell situation has been "blown out of proportion," that most of this is media fabrication based off of the comments Russ made about being hit too much, chalks it up to "dead season" where people need to find things to talk about.

Says his impression is that both camps have been quiet because they don't see this as a big deal like the media does.

Avril says that not only does he think Russell stays, but that he stays for several years. Avril remains close to many former teammates and should be considered a fairly solid source.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/710ESPNSeattle/status/1370826918719713281[/tweet]

Forthewin

Reaction score
I would say that this story makes a tons of sense but the GM already said 3 1st round picks gets you to the table. Its not just the media looking for a story anymore.

nIdahoSeahawk

Reaction score
Hawks2022":238cbl9l said:
I would say that this story makes a tons of sense but the GM already said 3 1st round picks gets you to the table. Its not just the media looking for a story anymore.

John actually never said that. A reporter speculated that it would take 3 firsts to start a discussion and the rest of the media assumed that meant John told him that.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
FO listening to offers, Russ listing teams he would go to, season ticket letter with no mention of Russ,,,,,,,,I dont know.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Listening to offers does not equal soliciting offers or accepting offers. It's JS's job to consider every possible move that could be made and to determine from that which ones are worth taking. That means never dismissing anything outright, but keeping options open and knowing what deals could be struck in the immediate, near, middle, and far futures of the team.

Wilson represents $39 million in dead cap money if cut or traded, and this is the first year the NFL salary cap has gone down. From a financial perspective, it would be nearly suicidal to move Wilson this year.

I put as much faith in the "trade Russ" rumors as I do the flat-earth theory. It's only being bandied about by people who can't see the entire picture.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1jdfbmmg said:
Listening to offers does not equal soliciting offers or accepting offers. It's JS's job to consider every possible move that could be made and to determine from that which ones are worth taking. That means never dismissing anything outright, but keeping options open and knowing what deals could be struck in the immediate, near, middle, and far futures of the team.

Wilson represents $39 million in dead cap money if cut or traded, and this is the first year the NFL salary cap has gone down. From a financial perspective, it would be nearly suicidal to move Wilson this year.

I put as much faith in the "trade Russ" rumors as I do the flat-earth theory. It's only being bandied about by people who can't see the entire picture.
Except both sides have had chances to squash these rumors, but they only have doubled down. Wilson could have come out said "I want to stay a Seahawk" but instead he added a "but I would love to play for these teams". That isn't normal. There have been a lot of passive aggressive jabs from Wilson's camp.

I agree, I don't think he's going to leave this year, but I think he's setting the stage to leave next season if things aren't to his liking. This isn't your garden variety offseason drama, I think there is actually something to this story and I think it's all going to come to a head in 2022 if Wilson's demands aren't met.

Msfann

Reaction score
It makes me wonder if Russ and the team are just trolling everyone by being so quiet and everyone is actually fine.

BASF

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2xuc0y6v said:
There have been a lot of passive aggressive jabs from Wilson's camp.

It feels like Wilson's camp should be put in quotes at this point.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Further reports from Rapoport basically confirming Avril's account.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1371145631759167488[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1371145876945608706[/tweet]

GaiusMarius

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":87gv6ss0 said:
Further reports from Rapoport basically confirming Avril's account.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1371145631759167488[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1371145876945608706[/tweet]

Where are you getting that from? Reading Rapoport's latest he reports that the Seahawks have taken calls on Wilson, but have NOT as of yet reciprocated (had a real conversation).

I wouldn't read that as a trade is imminent certainly, but nor would I equate that with Avril saying that Wilson is staying in Seattle, probably for several years.

The only conclusion I would draw is that the Seahawks have collected information (offers) and have yet to decide if and how they would respond. They have not spoken publicly to squash any talk and options are open.
That is also different than what Avril is saying.

balakoth

Reaction score
^ HUH? Did you even read those tweets its exactly what you just said ROFL

toffee

Reaction score
Can the Hawks afford to delay the post Wilson era by one year?

Would he has the same trade value a year older?

How would the locker room be now that your franchise QB has no confidence in coaching staffs?

How will the under the bus OL respond to the guy put them there? Yes coaches should help, oooops but we already said we had no confidence in them coaches.

God forbid an injury.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":918wkdtf said:
Another Russ thread, but with a solid, named source this time.

Per Cliff Avril, the Russell situation has been "blown out of proportion," that most of this is media fabrication based off of the comments Russ made about being hit too much, chalks it up to "dead season" where people need to find things to talk about.

Says his impression is that both camps have been quiet because they don't see this as a big deal like the media does.

Avril says that not only does he think Russell stays, but that he stays for several years. Avril remains close to many former teammates and should be considered a fairly solid source.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/710ESPNSeattle/status/1370826918719713281[/tweet]
Huh, go figure!

John63

Reaction score
toffee":tcfxrol7 said:
Can the Hawks afford to delay the post Wilson era by one year?

Would he has the same trade value a year older?

How would the locker room be now that your franchise QB has no confidence in coaching staffs?

How will the under the bus OL respond to the guy put them there? Yes coaches should help, oooops but we already said we had no confidence in them coaches.

God forbid an injury.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

He did not throw the oline under the bus though. The only entity he called out by name was himself. He said

""Like any player, you never want to get hit," Wilson told reporters. "That's the reality of playing this position; ask any quarterback who wants to play this game. But at the same time, it's part of the job and everything else. I think that the reality is that I've definitely been hit. I've been sacked almost 400 times, so we've got to get better. I've got to find ways to get better too.""

That does not mean oline that could be scheme. This is an example of what Avril said people making stuff up. Also, no place did Wilson say he has no confidence again people making crap up.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I don’t know what Avril thinks but how is this exaggerated and both sides are not saying anything because it’s nothing to them, if Wilson’s agent, calls teams that Wilson will welcome to be traded too??!

That’s not a media fabrication, that is Wilson speaking through his agent and Wilson saying to put it out there.

That’s the truth and that’s how Wilson feels.

That’s not media fabrication. This is serious and Avril is making light out of this situation cause he don’t know better.

He’s not Wilson or his agent and the Seattle FO is not going to tell him what they are planning to do before it gets done.

Avril has nothing to base his claim on.

John63

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2b3dp8id said:
I don’t know what Avril thinks but how is this exaggerated and both sides are not saying anything because it’s nothing to them, if Wilson’s agent, calls teams that Wilson will welcome to be traded too??!

That’s not a media fabrication, that is Wilson speaking through his agent and Wilson saying to put it out there.

That’s not media fabrication. This is serious and Avril is making light out of this situation cause he don’t know better.

He’s not Wilson or his agent and the Seattle FO is not going to tell him what they are planning to do before it gets done.

Except no place does it say Wilson's agent has called other teams.

Aviral has the fact eh has talked to people in the organization and unlike most sources actually out his name on it. 99% of the crap being said are form unnamed sources. Avril is putting his name on it.

In fact Wilson's agent and Wilson have both said they have not asked for a trade and that eh wants to stay in Seattle.

Your stament of ", if Wilson’s agent, calls teams that Wilson will welcome to be traded too??!
" is how things get started your asking, next some so-called expert reads it and change sit to he did when eh reality is he has not done it at all.

I would take what Avril says given he actually uses his own name to say what he knows over some unnamed source. Avril sis till connected to the organization and still has a lot of connections with the players.

IN the end for us on this forum it is going to boil down to what you want to believe. IF you want to believe Wilson is garbage and wants out you will even though the FACTS dont say that. IF you want to believe this has been all blown out of proportion you will.

As ti stans right now her eis what we knwo for a fact

Wilson has said he does not want to leave Seattle
Wilson's agent said the same
Wilson's agent said after rumors of him being traded that if that's the way Seattle wants to go here is a list of teams he would go to

Wilson and his agent again reiterated he wants to stay in Seattle.

Everything else is pure BS, made up or conjecture.

GaiusMarius

Reaction score
John63":1x0mhpba said:
TheLegendOfBoom":1x0mhpba said:

Except no place does it say Wilson's agent has called other teams.

Aviral has the fact eh has talked to people in the organization and unlike most sources actually out his name on it. 99% of the crap being said are form unnamed sources. Avril is putting his name on it.

In fact Wilson's agent and Wilson have both said they have not asked for a trade and that eh wants to stay in Seattle.

Your stament of ", if Wilson’s agent, calls teams that Wilson will welcome to be traded too??!
" is how things get started your asking, next some so-called expert reads it and change sit to he did when eh reality is he has not done it at all.

I would take what Avril says given he actually uses his own name to say what he knows over some unnamed source. Avril sis till connected to the organization and still has a lot of connections with the players.

IN the end for us on this forum it is going to boil down to what you want to believe. IF you want to believe Wilson is garbage and wants out you will even though the FACTS dont say that. IF you want to believe this has been all blown out of proportion you will.

As ti stans right now her eis what we knwo for a fact

Wilson has said he does not want to leave Seattle
Wilson's agent said the same
Wilson's agent said after rumors of him being traded that if that's the way Seattle wants to go here is a list of teams he would go to

Wilson and his agent again reiterated he wants to stay in Seattle.

Everything else is pure BS, made up or conjecture.

I don't believe Wilson is garbage. I do believe he is at least leaning toward "trying something else". Plus this story is harmful to the team and its prospects for next season. If you polled free agents would they have no concerns about signing with Seattle, would they see no question marks hovering over Wilson's status?

Wilson could end this with a single, high-profile media interview with a bunch of "go Hawks". But he hasn't, quite the opposite. That is fact.

I get the media wanting clicks and attention. I also get that a lot of us do NOT want Wilson traded. But that should not make us discount everything either.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
There have been rumors of Wilson being traded or wanting out for several years. Wilson and the team have never once come out and denied any of it. Instead they have just agreed to contract extensions and gone about their business. So the fact that nobody has come out and denied anything really means nothing.

GaiusMarius

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":3dxrmm7g said:
There have been rumors of Wilson being traded or wanting out for several years. Wilson and the team have never once come out and denied any of it. Instead they have just agreed to contract extensions and gone about their business. So the fact that nobody has come out and denied anything really means nothing.

You think this is like those previous times, which were indeed jockeying for extensions?
I disagree. Doesn't mean Wilson is gone, but this situation is very different just considering the timing.

Latest posts