Clint Hurtt Wipes His Ass with the "Yes Man" Theory

John63

Reaction score
Celtic Wolff":1p0f8liv said:
AgentDib":1p0f8liv said:
Using the phrase "meddling" to refer to the head coach of a football team is nonsense. If you don't like Pete then just be honest about it and say that. Imagine a head coach that you consider great and you will find yourself welcoming their input in any area. "Can you believe that Belichick was interfering with special teams again?" is a phrase said by nobody.

It's a particularly boring discussion here because Pete doesn't even hold play sheets on Sundays. That makes him more hands off than the average head coach.

This is an informative read by Gregg Bell in the News Tribune about the 2020 Seahawk season. Interesting perspective about Pete, “Meddling”. Here are some of the article highlights:

“…The most infamous example of Carroll getting involved in the offense’s play calls remains the most disastrous play call in Super Bowl history. Carroll saw New England bring in a heavy defensive front to stop Seattle’s run from the 1-yard line in the final seconds. So he instructed then-offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell to substitute a spread formation and throw. Wilson’s pass on a slant intended for Ricardo Lock... “

“…Does Carroll meddle too much in Seattle’s offense to attract the best play caller to steer Wilson for the final three seasons of his record, $140 million Seahawks contract? It’s a fair question, after experienced former head coaches and play callers choose to take play-calling jobs elsewhere instead of working with Wilson in Seattle…”

“…Early in the fourth quarter while down 23-13 Seattle lined up to go for it on fourth and 1 at midfield. It was after a long injury time out for rookie right guard Damien Lewis. Inexplicably following the extended time out, the Seahawks got out of the huddle with just 5 seconds remaining on the 40-second play clock. Wilson tried to rush the snap before a delay-of-game penalty. Half his offensive line moved, but center Ethan Pocic did not snap the ball. The false-start penalty made it fourth and 6. Carroll then decided to punt. Seattle never got closer than that to coming back. Carroll said after the game he “got involved” in Schottenheimer’s play call on that fourth and 1. Carroll eventually got the play he wanted; he won the argument with his play-caller as the head man and franchise’s highest football authority would. But it took all but 5 seconds of the play clock to get it. Carroll overruling his play caller caused the delay and ultimately confusion that led to the pre-snap penalty and Seattle’s essentially game-ending punt…”

“…And this is not new for Carroll with his coordinators in Seattle. He’s more renowned for being intricately involved in defense. But he’s always, in all 11 of his seasons as the Seahawks’ head coach, put his stamp on the offense’s game plan and preferred players to feature, as well. Usually, it’s been running backs and running the ball…”

“…In November the Seahawks rallied from down 27-7 at Buffalo to within 27-20 early in the fourth quarter. Carroll told Norton to call an eight-man blitz to defending the Bills on a third and 16. Buffalo made a perfect call against it: a quick wide-receiver screen. Five Bills blockers were against two Seahawks…”

“I made, contributed, a call that they hit the screen on,” Carroll said after the 44-34 loss, the most points allowed by one of his Seahawks defenses. How many times is Carroll involved in Norton’s play calls during games?"

“For years. For years I’ve been involved,” Carroll said. “There’s no how many. I don’t know how many. It’s just whenever, you know. It’s an ongoing conversation..."

“I’ve been doing that for years.”

” Days later, Norton detailed how into the coordinators’ stuff Carroll is—not as a complaint, as a normal course of Seahawks business..."

“As far as the game plan goes, it’s a collaboration,” Norton said in November. “We all sit down and watch the film. We talk through all the stats, and watch through everything that we do as far as the game plan. We look through all the games (films), and things like that. The entire staff sits down and talks through all the different things that we think that we can do..."

“As far as calling the plays, I’m the initial caller. Coach is the boss…”

“…Seattle was not the place in 2021 for an established play caller with his own, proven way to run offenses. Such an experienced coach likely would not be as willing to yield to Carroll’s mandate to run more so Wilson can pass more easily in 2021. That’s why Schottenheimer’s no longer here…”

“…As Norton said in November about Carroll’s involvement on at least his coordinator job: “He always has certain things that he wants me to call…”

Go Hawks

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/n ... 57320.html

This^^^

scutterhawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":37p8qmfg said:
Using the phrase "meddling" to refer to the head coach of a football team is nonsense. If you don't like Pete then just be honest about it and say that. Imagine a head coach that you consider great and you will find yourself welcoming their input in any area. "Can you believe that Belichick was interfering with special teams again?" is a phrase said by nobody.

It's a particularly boring discussion here because Pete doesn't even hold play sheets on Sundays. That makes him more hands off than the average head coach.
For you John63 = THIS^^^^^^^^^

John63

Reaction score
what is interesting is some have denied he meddled to interfere in the offense. Now that we have proof they switch to he is the HC and can do it. Okay, he is the HC and can do it then he deserves the ire he gets period. Also funny how first it is Hurtt wipes his Ass wit the Yes man theory only to find out in the full interview that is for this upcoming year and in fact, the rest were yes men as this is and has been PC defense. Now the question is how long will Hurtt be able to maintain his control and how long before we got back to PC defense. Same issue on offense. How long before PC gets involved in the offense again to the detriment of the team.

Fade

Reaction score
AgentDib":25xk5755 said:

The best OCs and DCs refuse to work for Pete, because they won't have full control. Ever notice the Seahawks are never in the running for the top OCs & DCs? That is not a coincidence.

So the Seahawks have to settle for rank and file types in hopes that it works out. Pete doesn't hold the play sheets, but he is on the headset, overhearing every call, changing the plays he doesn't like.

Holmgren for example, let his DCs call their games. He got out of their way. He would have directives going into the week for the gameplan, generally being, "I don't want this guy to beat me." But he let his DC figure out how to go about figuring that out. On offense he let Gil Haskell put together the gameplan during the week, but he would call the offensive plays on game day, because he was good at it. (Which he was.) Pete has his sleeves rolled up gameplanning and is heavily involved, big difference.

There is big difference between giving directives, "I want to run the ball." "I want to not get beat deep here." "I don't want this guy to beat me." etc. And being heavily involved in the gameplanning and specifically changing plays to new specific plays after the call has been made.

Keeping Ken Norton as DC for 4 years is unfathomable for any sane Head Coach. But when you realize Pete requires a certain amount of control compared to most, it totally makes sense why it was allowed to continue for so long. The "It's Pete's defense anyway." crowd had no problem with it either for most of the last 4 years, even going as far as thinking they were doing a great job this year… Until Ken was let go. Then the revisionist history begun, and the Pete has changed THIS TIME chanting drowns out all reality. :D

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Pete is Damned if he Does & Damned if he Doesn't.
Bill Belichick, Andy Reid & the like be like 'Yeah, it's Game Day, I believe I'll just go over here & sit on my @$$ and let my Sub-Coaches run the whole show' Sounds realistic to me. :34853_doh:

John63

Reaction score
Fade":3tklmom6 said:
The best OCs and DCs refuse to work for Pete, because they won't have full control. Ever notice the Seahawks are never in the running for the top OCs & DCs? That is not a coincidence.

So the Seahawks have to settle for rank and file types in hopes that it works out. Pete doesn't hold the play sheets, but he is on the headset, overhearing every call, changing the plays he doesn't like.

Holmgren for example, let his DCs call their games. He got out of their way. He would have directives going into the week for the gameplan, generally being, "I don't want this guy to beat me." But he let his DC figure out how to go about figuring that out. On offense he let Gil Haskell put together the gameplan during the week, but he would call the offensive plays on game day, because he was good at it. (Which he was.) Pete has his sleeves rolled up gameplanning and is heavily involved, big difference.

There is big difference between giving directives, "I want to run the ball." "I want to not get beat deep here." "I don't want this guy to beat me." etc. And being heavily involved in the gameplanning and specifically changing plays to new specific plays after the call has been made.

Keeping Ken Norton as DC for 4 years is unfathomable for any sane Head Coach. But when you realize Pete requires a certain amount of control compared to most, it totally makes sense why it was allowed to continue for so long. The "It's Pete's defense anyway." crowd had no problem with it either for most of the last 4 years, even going as far as thinking they were doing a great job this year… Until Ken was let go. Then the revisionist history begun, and the Pete has changed THIS TIME chanting drowns out all reality. :D

This^^^

John63

Reaction score
AgentDib":cp0ggdgx said:

Just because he does not hold play sheets does not mean he is not in control of and impacting the defense and offense.

I mean none of the players have the plays sheets but they know what every play is.

How hard is it for him to hear a pass play called and say no run it up the gut? Don't need a play sheet for that do you. Or hear a blitz and then say no play prevent. Again no play sheet is needed.

We know he has and does as he has admitted it. So this whole debate is moot.

keasley45

Reaction score
John63":1jrkokqi said:
AgentDib":1jrkokqi said:

Just because he does not hold play sheets does not mean he is not in control of and impacting the defense and offense.

I mean none of the players have the plays sheets but they know what every play is.

How hard is it for him to hear a pass play called and say no run it up the gut? Don't need a play sheet for that do you. Or hear a blitz and then say no play prevent. Again no play sheet is needed.

Yeah, the guy that so easily can change a play and so often meddles, somehow allows his offense to throw the ball inexplicably 40 plus times against 11 runs in a game and maintain a lopsided run vs pass ratio the majority of the season last year. Ok.

And then the same coach stands at post game pressers beyond frustrated at how ineffective the offense is and how little they run? It's nonsensical.

Same on defense.

Pete's issue over the last few years has been trusting too much in the potential of some of his coordinators and players and affording them too much leeway to get things right.

If he'd 'meddled' more last year, we'd have gotten things back on track with the run game ... and then pass game earlier than week 14.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
keasley45":3njd2p15 said:
John63":3njd2p15 said:
AgentDib":3njd2p15 said:

Yeah, the guy that so easily can change a play and so often meddles, somehow allows his offense to throw the ball inexplicably 40 plus times against 11 runs in a game and maintain a lopsided run vs pass ratio the majority of the season last year. Ok.

And then the same coach stands at post game pressers beyond frustrated at how ineffective the offense is and how little they run? It's nonsensical.

Same on defense.

Pete's issue over the last few years has been trusting too much in the potential of some of his coordinators and players and affording them too much leeway to get things right.

If he'd 'meddled' more last year, we'd have gotten things back on track with the run game ... and then pass game earlier than week 14.

THIS^^^
Like I said, "Damned if he DOES & Damned if he DOESN'T"

John63

Reaction score
keasley45":1zia8954 said:
John63":1zia8954 said:
AgentDib":1zia8954 said:

Same on defense.

again he admitted to it done over.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
John63":1hqiqg82 said:
AgentDib":1hqiqg82 said:

Yeah, & pretty soon you will be trying to convince everyone that Russ 'Holding on to The Ball Too Long' is on Pete too. :roll:
Just curious John, do you even know what the Job Description of Head Coach is in the NFL? Care to hazard a guess?? Yeah I didn't think so.

Fade

Reaction score
Hurtt is Pete's puppet as predicted. That soft zone with little blitzing and lack of stunts and twists looks awfully familiar.

It only seems to get worse.

Richard >> Norton > Hurtt

JPatera76

Reaction score
Hurtt is Pete's puppet as predicted. That soft zone with little blitzing and lack of stunts and twists looks awfully familiar.

It only seems to get worse.

Richard >> Norton > Hurtt
I would’ve liked to see Desai over Hurtt run the defense. Afaik and could see The bears defense under Desai.. were pretty damn good.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Hurtt is a snake and has no business being a D coordinator. Just another yes man who bad mouthed the previous yes man out the door like the immature child he is

nwHawk

Reaction score
Well, give him a real MLB, and replace Darrell Taylor with a stud and then we’ll talk. This team is transforming into a better team but it is going to talk 6 more games to gel. I’ve seen enough of Barton, seriously there has to be a rookie that wants a paycheck!