Coach Carroll's coaching staff going rogue!!!

Jville

Reaction score
Understanding is such a liberator.

Very good info offered up by John Boyle at seahawks.com

Pete Carroll Discusses Changes to Seahawks Coaching Staff >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/03/16/pete-carroll-discusses-changes-seahawks-coaching-staff[/urltargetblank]

Seymour

Reaction score
purpleneer":3k65exdd said:
..... As much as I enjoy the continued relevance, I'm concerned that the lack of flexibility is going to make it a run that stops at the one title while watching the guy most willing to adapt win multiple titles with less talented teams.

Very well stated, and I 100% agree.

Jville

Reaction score
There have been plenty of changes to the coaching staff in 2017. Some minor and some major .... including the three below.

From the accounts I read, Sherman Smith began considering retirement during 2016 after a long career as player and coach. He fell into the trap of blaming things outside his control ..... blaming players outside his room as becoming complacent and not hungry enough ......... i.e. he was lost to the quicksand of the blame game. A young high energy Chad Morton who was a former 7 year running back that excelled as a returner promises to rejuvenate the running back room as well as special teams returns. These are changes that should have a positive impact.

Defensive line coach Travis Jones was promoted to a new role as senior defensive assistant after having battled personal health issues during the 2016 season. Former Bears assistant Clint Hurtt was added to join Dwaine Board as one of the team’s two defensive line coaches. These changes are all positive.

Linebackers coach Michael Barrow adds the title of assistant head coach/defense, which was formally held by Rocky Seto. That presumably makes Barrow the new defensive run game coordinator. Rocky had been contemplating leaving for the ministry for some time. Michael Barrow is committed to and focused on football. Carroll forecasts him to become a future defensive coordinator.

There are additional positive changes that bring fresh perspectives and experiences to the coaching staff. Changes that foretell of a bright future in 2017.
Very good info offered up by John Boyle at seahawks.com

Pete Carroll Discusses Changes to Seahawks Coaching Staff >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/03/16/pete-carroll-discusses-changes-seahawks-coaching-staff[/urltargetblank]

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
We didn't begin the season deciding to be pass-happy. We began the season with our most promising running backs hurt. We adapted to that unavoidable fact by passing the ball more.

We also started with an offensive line that was very weak against the pass, which was thought to be mitigated by the agility of our QB. It was a gamble that didn't pay off. Wilson was slowed by Suh accidentally - and it was clearly an accident - stepping on Wilson's ankle. He was then hobbled when he sprained his knee during an illegal tackle in the SF game. Without any mobility at the QB position, the line was horrifically exposed.

And by the way we went through a stretch of playing the ALL of the top defensive lines in the league. At the same time the QB was immobile. At the same time we had no running game. We really had no chance.

It was the perfect storm for a terrible offense. No decent running backs healthy, immobile QB, OL that was learning to play. Facing the best defensive lines in the NFL. For the OC, the options were entirely dictated by what he had to work with. The only thing he could do was to get rid o the ball quickly, so he had to train his QB not to extend the play but to get rid of the ball, which was against Wilson's instincts and fundamental philosophy in which he's the hero making the impossible plays to win the day.

Eventually we get Rawls back, but he wasn't entirely healthy and as effective as he usually is, and we got a brief look at Prosise, but it was far too brief before he was re-injured.

When we had a running back who was healthy and good to go, however, we did use him and we did have a far more balanced attack. There were definitely signs that if we have a healthy backfield, we will resume having a balanced offense.

I'm not against people judging or coach, assistant coaches, front office, waterboys - whatever they see fit to have a go at. But we should at the very least keep in mind the circumstances in which the various parties operate. Last season, the circumstances for Bevell were about as bad as you get. People kept taking away his toys.

I constantly check for reasonability, and to me it's not reasonable to go into last season with the offensive line we had without the intent to run the ball, and without a mobile QB who could offset the poor pass blocking until the line learned to work together. If there was any intent to use that line to block for a hobbled Russell Wilson against the top DLs, without any running game to rely on, then yes, fire the lot of them, because that's simply moronic.

At the same time, they all knew it was a possibility, and they took the risk of taking the chance because the potential benefit was that we could keep all of our playmakers rather tan making some tough budget-based cuts. Maybe they were guilty of relying too much on Wilson's magic, but otherwise it wasn't a particularly bad bet. They just lost the bet, quite badly.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
olyfan63":3d681woy said:
Josea16":3d681woy said:
I really hate when people spell "Rogue" as "Rouge".*

Doesn't anyone know how to spell or know English anymore?

* It's a TTRPG thing.:)

I thought the thread was going to be about the coaching staff dressing in drag for April Fool's and wearing rouge on their cheeks, you know, "going rouge", and maybe even "going mascara" too.

Halloween Seahawks style???

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1vnttqi6 said:
We didn't begin the season deciding to be pass-happy. We began the season with our most promising running backs hurt. We adapted to that unavoidable fact by passing the ball more.

We also started with an offensive line that was very weak against the pass, which was thought to be mitigated by the agility of our QB. It was a gamble that didn't pay off. Wilson was slowed by Suh accidentally - and it was clearly an accident - stepping on Wilson's ankle. He was then hobbled when he sprained his knee during an illegal tackle in the SF game. Without any mobility at the QB position, the line was horrifically exposed.

And by the way we went through a stretch of playing the ALL of the top defensive lines in the league. At the same time the QB was immobile. At the same time we had no running game. We really had no chance.

It was the perfect storm for a terrible offense. No decent running backs healthy, immobile QB, OL that was learning to play. Facing the best defensive lines in the NFL. For the OC, the options were entirely dictated by what he had to work with. The only thing he could do was to get rid o the ball quickly, so he had to train his QB not to extend the play but to get rid of the ball, which was against Wilson's instincts and fundamental philosophy in which he's the hero making the impossible plays to win the day.

Eventually we get Rawls back, but he wasn't entirely healthy and as effective as he usually is, and we got a brief look at Prosise, but it was far too brief before he was re-injured.

When we had a running back who was healthy and good to go, however, we did use him and we did have a far more balanced attack. There were definitely signs that if we have a healthy backfield, we will resume having a balanced offense.

I'm not against people judging or coach, assistant coaches, front office, waterboys - whatever they see fit to have a go at. But we should at the very least keep in mind the circumstances in which the various parties operate. Last season, the circumstances for Bevell were about as bad as you get. People kept taking away his toys.

I constantly check for reasonability, and to me it's not reasonable to go into last season with the offensive line we had without the intent to run the ball, and without a mobile QB who could offset the poor pass blocking until the line learned to work together. If there was any intent to use that line to block for a hobbled Russell Wilson against the top DLs, without any running game to rely on, then yes, fire the lot of them, because that's simply moronic.

At the same time, they all knew it was a possibility, and they took the risk of taking the chance because the potential benefit was that we could keep all of our playmakers rather tan making some tough budget-based cuts. Maybe they were guilty of relying too much on Wilson's magic, but otherwise it wasn't a particularly bad bet. They just lost the bet, quite badly.

GREAT POST kiwihawk. Exactly what happened. I want some more please.