Coaching-belichick vs Carroll

olyfan63

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":6q1o62b9 said:
johnnyfever":6q1o62b9 said:
Brady is a huge reason for the success, but as the broncos learned in 48, defense wins championships, even against the best offense ever. Patriots beat us last year off coaching and scheme preparedness. They practiced against the last play we called. Brady did not do that, coaches and staff did.
Preparedness and detail is probably the greatest trait of a winning coach. It is amazing the extent to which Belicheck and his coaches had his team prepared for games and potential plays in pressure situations.

We got outcoached today. Pete and our coaching staff did not game-plan for the matchups where the Panthers have huge advantages, i.e., their DL vs. our OL. We had a huge matchup advantage with our WR's against the banged up Carolina secondary, but our schemes failed to exploit it already too late.

A lot of us on this board saw this coming; Pete didn't think Carolina could score on our D like that, and did not come in with a "win-a-shootout" game plan; they came in with a "win-a-slugfest" game plan. I thought the Pittsburgh game was our best overall game of the year, in many ways; we approached that game as a shootout and won it.

To me it feels like Pete didn't instruct Bevell to be ready for a shootout and come out with an aggressive game plan and scheme to neutralize Carolina's matchup advantages. Bevell implements the guidance Carroll gives him. That's why Pete keeps him around. I have concluded this year we blame Bevell for a lot of things that are really Carroll's scheme.

Pete needs to realize the short passing game can wear out defenses just as well as a power running game. It's worked well *against* our defense.

I am optimistic the old dog Pete Carroll can still learn new tricks. I think he's over-addicted to "run the ball" as an IDENTITY when for some opponents, channeling "The Greatest Show On Turf" is a better winning strategy.
Painful losses motivate change. Pete has been nothing if not adaptive throughout his career.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but Belicheck coaches circles around Carroll. Thats not an insult to Pete, he does it to everybody. Player for player the Seahawks have way more talent then the Patriots do, imo.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
J, you've been awfully fond of Belichick ever since he stoop up for your boy, Chip.

Life is easy when you're coaching the greatest QB of all time.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2dyunsiz said:
J, you've been awfully fond of Belichick ever since he stoop up for your boy, Chip.

Life is easy when you're coaching the greatest QB of all time.

Has nothing to do with chip Kelly.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
getnasty":18fm284m said:
Best run in our history but yeah I say we change everything.

Why are people so flippant, this is a great discussion and worthy of you actually answering the question.

There's no arguing that the way Belichick schemes and his chameleon coaching philosophy is VERY successful.

So is Pete's but only one coach is stubborn and refuses to change the way he gameplans. Pete's philosophy is "we're better than you so we're not going to change, we're going to force YOU to change."

Belichick has no problem running the ball 30 times a game, and he has no problem running the ball 3 times a game, it all depends on who they're playing. What's wrong with a little more of that?

We saw it against Arizona in week 17, Pete took the reigns off cause the game didn't really matter seeding wise........and we DESTROYED Arizona. As soon as the playoffs started? Back to predictable conservative slow starting offense that get us into big deficits.

So yes, I'd like to see Pete tweek his philosophy when it comes to installing more dynamic changing gameplans depending on who we're playing and the situation.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
olyfan63":11i7dar3 said:
Russ Willstrong":11i7dar3 said:
johnnyfever":11i7dar3 said:
Brady is a huge reason for the success, but as the broncos learned in 48, defense wins championships, even against the best offense ever. Patriots beat us last year off coaching and scheme preparedness. They practiced against the last play we called. Brady did not do that, coaches and staff did.
Preparedness and detail is probably the greatest trait of a winning coach. It is amazing the extent to which Belicheck and his coaches had his team prepared for games and potential plays in pressure situations.

We got outcoached today. Pete and our coaching staff did not game-plan for the matchups where the Panthers have huge advantages, i.e., their DL vs. our OL. We had a huge matchup advantage with our WR's against the banged up Carolina secondary, but our schemes failed to exploit it already too late.

A lot of us on this board saw this coming; Pete didn't think Carolina could score on our D like that, and did not come in with a "win-a-shootout" game plan; they came in with a "win-a-slugfest" game plan. I thought the Pittsburgh game was our best overall game of the year, in many ways; we approached that game as a shootout and won it.

To me it feels like Pete didn't instruct Bevell to be ready for a shootout and come out with an aggressive game plan and scheme to neutralize Carolina's matchup advantages. Bevell implements the guidance Carroll gives him. That's why Pete keeps him around. I have concluded this year we blame Bevell for a lot of things that are really Carroll's scheme.

Pete needs to realize the short passing game can wear out defenses just as well as a power running game. It's worked well *against* our defense.

I am optimistic the old dog Pete Carroll can still learn new tricks. I think he's over-addicted to "run the ball" as an IDENTITY when for some opponents, channeling "The Greatest Show On Turf" is a better winning strategy.
Painful losses motivate change. Pete has been nothing if not adaptive throughout his career.
This is exactly how I feel. Really awesome post, and yes I also think Pete can and will learn from yesterday. I think he fell into the "we've got Beast (the very definition of a power back) going for us again and we're gonna shove it down their throat" mindset.

Sgt. Largent: I think with Rawls as the main RB next year you're going to gt your wish. He's much more suited to a spread as he hits holes quickly and finds creases adeptly. What do you think?

12thbrah

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ubldz98 said:
getnasty":3ubldz98 said:
Best run in our history but yeah I say we change everything.

Why are people so flippant, this is a great discussion and worthy of you actually answering the question.

There's no arguing that the way Belichick schemes and his chameleon coaching philosophy is VERY successful.

So is Pete's but only one coach is stubborn and refuses to change the way he gameplans. Pete's philosophy is "we're better than you so we're not going to change, we're going to force YOU to change."

Belichick has no problem running the ball 30 times a game, and he has no problem running the ball 3 times a game, it all depends on who they're playing. What's wrong with a little more of that?

We saw it against Arizona in week 17, Pete took the reigns off cause the game didn't really matter seeding wise........and we DESTROYED Arizona. As soon as the playoffs started? Back to predictable conservative slow starting offense that get us into big deficits.

So yes, I'd like to see Pete tweek his philosophy when it comes to installing more dynamic changing gameplans depending on who we're playing and the situation.

Agreed. The league has had a few years now to figure out how to beat our defense and now everyone knows what to do. It takes a team with a good QB but the Patriots did it in the last SB and now the Panthers were able to move the ball effectively. We still have supreme talent on all 3 levels but our scheme has become too predictable.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3t3j9cbs said:
Sgt. Largent: I think with Rawls as the main RB next year you're going to gt your wish. He's much more suited to a spread as he hits holes quickly and finds creases adeptly. What do you think?

I LOVE Rawls, and was even more devastated by his injury than either Graham or Lynch.

I agree, he's much more conducive to maximizing what our offense can do well, which is spread it out, hit the holes quicker than a back like Lynch who needs his 25 carries a game and cutback lanes to be effective.

Hopefully that's what we'll see, we're paying Russell like an Elite QB, let him be Elite. Enough with the predictable smash ball.

Threedee

Reaction score
Belichick doesn't tolerate incompetence on his staff. That's one of core differences between him and Pete, and that was displayed in SB 49. Until that changes, Bill is the superior coach. Also, Pete's clock management...

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NJlargent":u2bcj4vw said:
Belicheat's players come ready to play. He does his job well.
Billycheat also has coordinators that run circles around the clowns we have.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3jyop9au said:
NJlargent":3jyop9au said:

Isn't part of a head coaches job to hire his coordinators? so.....I guess that bodes well in the argument that he is a good coach doesn't it?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
johnnyfever":2blzfzj9 said:
Sports Hernia":2blzfzj9 said:
NJlargent":2blzfzj9 said:

Isn't part of a head coaches job to hire his coordinators? so.....I guess that bodes well in the argument that he is a good coach doesn't it?
When did I say Billycheat is a lousy coach??? A cheater, yes, a lousy coach, no.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":4yvhkhlv said:
johnnyfever":4yvhkhlv said:
Sports Hernia":4yvhkhlv said:
NJlargent":4yvhkhlv said:

When did I say Billycheat is a lousy coach??? A cheater, yes, a lousy coach, no.

My bad, a few others have said that and I thought your comment was along those lines. I'm in your court then. good coach, but a cheater.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Belicheck is relentless in going after the other team's weakness. They opened the game vs the Chiefs throwing about 25 times out of the first 30 plays. 13 of the first 14 plays were passes. The ball got out quick, and the Chiefs got no pressure.

And the Pats O-line is no great group.

Foghawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2pf8ykxk said:
Belicheck is relentless in going after the other team's weakness. They opened the game vs the Chiefs throwing about 25 times out of the first 30 plays. 13 of the first 14 plays were passes. The ball got out quick, and the Chiefs got no pressure.

And the Pats O-line is no great group.

Yep, and he has had a QB for years that can implement any game plan he can dream up. My brother also thinks he's a witch lol.