Coldplay will headline Super Bowl 50 halftime show

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
chris98251":195vdmgr said:
Their main Fan base is the Baby Boomers who are the ones with the money and the numbers, there is a reason why games are becoming as expensive as they are. The Gen X are following a close second.

Was so excited for the Chili Peppers at our SB. They did one song and it was one of their suck ass ones. Is the NFL have the mindset of anything but rock. Tom Petty's was the best halftime as far as I'm concerned.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Smellyman":1py84p65 said:
seahawkfreak":1py84p65 said:
Whoopi Coldplay. Maybe next year they can bring Kenny G. Once again NFL doesn't promote to its main fan base. Hope the NFL makes Coldplay wear pink

Do they want to promote to their main fan base? Don't they want a different one for halftime? Just a guess.

I don't know. Do they have make the people who are loyal to their product want to stab themselves in the head?

nategreat

Reaction score
You guys... you're missing the point. It's Roger Goodell's favorite!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
nategreat":33qv6f1e said:
You guys... you're missing the point. It's Roger Goodell's favorite!
I wouldn't doubt it. He probably also has BSS on continuous loop.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
nepahawk":22rz26ha said:
At least now, I can change over to the kitty bowl at halftime, won't miss much.

If the Seahawks aren't in it I probably won't even watch. Might record it so I can fast forward through the game to watch the commercials.

retro74

Reaction score
Coldplay are awful. Over here they are the preserve of the middle aged people that were uncool as youths but want to appear 'alternative' now they are all grown up

I would have expected a bigger act for Super Bowl 50

Popeyejones

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1s3fnrlk said:
Once again NFL doesn't promote to its main fan base.

Real question: Who is the artist that would actually be promoting to the NFL's "main fanbase"?

Real question because I seriously don't think there is one, as the NFL fanbase spans waaaaaayyy too many demographics.

Even when they rely on legacy acts you have some football fans excited about The Who and other football fans saying "who?"

Basically I think the best route is to find a current star and a legacy act (which is what they do), but rather than trying to find people that "everyone" loves you look for people that nobody hates.

The problem is that you run out of those people really quickly, and can't just bring them back over and over again. For example, nobody really hates Prince and nobody really hates the Rolling Stones (why they were good choices) but there's just very few people in that category.

It was the same story in 2014 with Bruno Mars and Red Hot Chili Peppers: it's a good lineup not because anyobdy really loves either of these acts, but a few years ago nobody really hated them either.

I think the problem with Coldplay is simply that the NFL is too late on them. At one point they were the perfect "nobody really hates them" band, but they've been so bad for so long now I think a lot of people reasonably do really hate them. It would be like dragging U2 back out.

Using the "nobody hates" criteria and a current act and legacy act, I think the best pairing this year would probably be Adele and like, Stevie Wonder maybe? He hasn't done it in 16 years. I dunno, definitely Adele who is generally unhated, and if you don't want to do Stevie maybe like Adele and Jay Z as the legacy act or something? This is clearly what they were going for last year with Katy Perry and Missy Elliot.

athanas

Reaction score
So, is Joe Satriani going to be playing with them or will they just continue to play his music?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3fc4xyzk said:
seahawkfreak":3fc4xyzk said:
Once again NFL doesn't promote to its main fan base.

Real question: Who is the artist that would actually be promoting to the NFL's "main fanbase"?

Real question because I seriously don't think there is one, as the NFL fanbase spans waaaaaayyy too many demographics.

Even when they rely on legacy acts you have some football fans excited about The Who and other football fans saying "who?"

Basically I think the best route is to find a current star and a legacy act (which is what they do), but rather than trying to find people that "everyone" loves you look for people that nobody hates.

The problem is that you run out of those people really quickly, and can't just bring them back over and over again. For example, nobody really hates Prince and nobody really hates the Rolling Stones (why they were good choices) but there's just very few people in that category.

It was the same story in 2014 with Bruno Mars and Red Hot Chili Peppers: it's a good lineup not because anyobdy really loves either of these acts, but a few years ago nobody really hated them either.

I think the problem with Coldplay is simply that the NFL is too late on them. At one point they were the perfect "nobody really hates them" band, but they've been so bad for so long now I think a lot of people reasonably do really hate them. It would be like dragging U2 back out.

Using the "nobody hates" criteria and a current act and legacy act, I think the best pairing this year would probably be Adele and like, Stevie Wonder maybe? He hasn't done it in 16 years. I dunno, definitely Adele who is generally unhated, and if you don't want to do Stevie maybe like Adele and Jay Z as the legacy act or something? This is clearly what they were going for last year with Katy Perry and Missy Elliot.

Cold Play has a new album, which is why i imagine they got the nod...

Adele has no need for the Super Bowl..

I've always felt the Foo Fighters are the perfect halftime show choice...

mrt144

Reaction score
Popeyejones":f7gc71km said:

Wu Tang Clan sounds like it meets the criteria and it's for the children.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2tb65h7d said:

Great call. Yeah. Really perfect for the job description. Grohl (and the Foo Fighters more generally) have got to be up there for least disliked (in any circle) band in history.

I like them despite not even liking them. :lol: :lol:

mrt144

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1qi017pk said:
Uncle Si":1qi017pk said:

Great call. Yeah. Really perfect for the job description. Grohl (and the Foo Fighters more generally) have got to be up there for least disliked (in any circle) band in history.

Wu Tang with Foo Fighters has a good ring to it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":zfaiodx5 said:
Uncle Si":zfaiodx5 said:

My thoughts too... i like their music... will never buy an album. Good energy to their songs, pretty safe content and by all accounts a great live show.

retro74

Reaction score
Foo Fighters are a good shout. I don't buy their music but they have some bombast and energy. The half time act should have that about them - they should be explosive

Coldplay are just wet, angsty and depressing

253hawk

Reaction score
NBC and FOX have used Foo Fighters tracks in their montages and bumper music for a decade, so they'd be a no-brainer at this point, but I wouldn't like to see them having to pay the NFL in order for 'the privilege' to perform. JFC, the NFL is putting a price tag on anything and everything they can at this point while simultaneously watering down the product. I hope the whole league implodes.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":x3c28ksj said:
Popeyejones":x3c28ksj said:
Uncle Si":x3c28ksj said:

My thoughts too... i like their music... will never buy an album. Good energy to their songs, pretty safe content and by all accounts a great live show.
The Foo's would be a great choice, and Grohl is well respected and plays well with others, so it would be a great show.