Collins today

peppersjap

Reaction score
He played very well! You guys need to get over your Pope crush! I think Collins put up way better numbers than Pope did this week, I believe he was inactive (not sure though). Why do we all think we are smarter than Pete and Schneider?

hawker84

Reaction score
He played very well! You guys need to get over your Pope crush! I think Collins put up way better numbers than Pope did this week, I believe he was inactive (not sure though). Why do we all think we are smarter than Pete and Schneider?

It's called opinions my man, case you didn't realize, it's what makes these fan forums work....... You know discussion, debates, opinions?

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Fwiw, from here: http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/0 ... _repo.html

The Jets could be looking to add another running back to the roster.

Former Saints and Bills tailback C.J. Spiller will work out for the Jets on Tuesday. NFL Network first reported the news of Spiller's impending visit.
The Jets have three running backs on the 53-man roster— Matt Forte, Bilal Powell and Troymaine Pope. Forte (the starter) and Powell (third-down back) have roles on offense, while Pope has been inactive the first three weeks of the season.

edit, and from here: https://www.profootballrumors.com/2016/ ... cj-spiller
.. It’s not immediately clear if the Jets have a spot for him either, but they could be evaluating him as an alternative to No. 3 RB Troymaine Pope.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
IDK I was not impressed. He looks so slow and doesn't seem to have much trucking power. To my eyes he is just a guy who can and will be easily replaced in a year or two and be out of the league.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Here we go, a possible/actual RB signing:
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0 ... 19716389-4

The Seahawks are signing RB Zac Brooks to the practice squad, according to a league source. The team drafted Brooks in the seventh round. He was released this summer when the Seahawks trimmed their roster but now will get another opportunity with the organization.

Sheil Kapadia, ESPN Writer

DJrmb

Reaction score
Collins looks SO Slow. He looks like he's trying to run in sand out there. Maybe it's just because he's still learning the reads and scheme so he's thinking too much out there? Maybe it'll eventually click for him like it had to for Marshawn, but he looks terribly slow when he's trying to accelerate. He's got good speed once he gets 4 or 5 steps but this scheme doesn't allow for that very often.

I think Kearly said it first but Collins seems like he needs to be in a running offense like Minnesota ran with Peterson for his talent to be realized.

chris98251

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":1elxyj68 said:
Here we go, a possible/actual RB signing:
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0 ... 19716389-4

The Seahawks are signing RB Zac Brooks to the practice squad, according to a league source. The team drafted Brooks in the seventh round. He was released this summer when the Seahawks trimmed their roster but now will get another opportunity with the organization.

Sheil Kapadia, ESPN Writer

Wondering if he had a injury and they released him then signed this other guy and now Brooks can practice again.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
He has the physical attributes of a good back, just seems like he keeps his base too narrow and really doesn't mentally want to grind for yards. That position requires a mental attitude of invincibility and toughness that turns an average back into a beast. Confidence plays a big role in this, as well as having a "look in the mirror" moment that christine was forced to have.

I was in the Pope over Collins camp after the 4 preseason games, but can totally understand why the FO went with Collins. He MIGHT have a higher ceiling than pope, where as pope played close to his ceiling. I trust the coaches, especially Pete when talking about the RB position. I think after this year if they don't see pretty significant progress with him they will look ahead to someone else. We might and probably won't see another beast, but I'm sure the coaches and FO will do everything they can to get close.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
This transcript is worth reading for other reasons too
http://www.hawkblogger.com/2016/09/pete ... rence.html

Wrt AC:
--
What have you seen from Alex Collins these last couple of weeks?

He’s doing his job. He’s getting out there and he’s pounding away. We’re fortunate to have him. He’s been a guy that’s steady and physically fit and all that. He’s banging away in the running game a bit, he caught a couple passes, he did a nice solid job.

ACFan

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":y9vfe3ed said:

Wrt AC:
--

He’s doing his job. He’s getting out there and he’s pounding away. We’re fortunate to have him. He’s been a guy that’s steady and physically fit and all that. He’s banging away in the running game a bit, he caught a couple passes, he did a nice solid job.

Thanks for this, pretty much how I've described AC so far, "solid", "steady".

I think the complaints of AC looking slow are partially due to him still getting a feel for the pro level.

Also compounded by comparisons against C-Mike, who is lightening quick. But there have been plays when AC bounced it outside and he seemed to have plenty of quickness then.

Complaints about other RBs not being durable, or not having an "NFL body" don't apply to AC, and CPC seemed to address that above, he can take a licking and keep on ticking. I don't believe he's ever missed a game at RB, on any level, unreal.

Not going to have mental lapses either, smart guy with a good head and good feel for the game.

I really believe he is the most complete back we have, and when he's fully accustomed to the pro level, he will really shine, he will have many productive years.

sutz

Reaction score
ACFan":25as6g7t said:
LeftHandSmoke":25as6g7t said:

Wrt AC:
--

Thanks for this, pretty much how I've described AC so far, "solid", "steady".

I think the complaints of AC looking slow are partially due to him still getting a feel for the pro level.

Also compounded by comparisons against C-Mike, who is lightening quick. But there have been plays when AC bounced it outside and he seemed to have plenty of quickness then.

Complaints about other RBs not being durable, or not having an "NFL body" don't apply to AC, and CPC seemed to address that above, he can take a licking and keep on ticking. I don't believe he's ever missed a game at RB, on any level, unreal.

Not going to have mental lapses either, smart guy with a good head and good feel for the game.

I really believe he is the most complete back we have, and when he's fully accustomed to the pro level, he will really shine, he will have many productive years.
Yeah, all things considered that's about what you want from your #3/4 RB. If he shows some flashes, great, but mostly you want him to not screw up any plays by missing blocks or taking wrong cuts and things.

ACFan

Reaction score
Just a reminder, Collins who's barely 22, wanted to return for his senior season.

Coach Bielema has a reputation about caring for his players and placing them in the NFL, he has his JR prospects get the best draft analysis available to make sure they make the right choice. They all said AC was 2 to 3rd round talent. that pretty much pushed him out the door.

I said on draft day he was a 5th round steal, haven't seen anything to change my mind yet, he's on pace and on course and has an opportunity out in front of him the next few weeks.

hawk45

Reaction score
Absolutely hated how Collins got completely east west with his skinny legs on an inside run. So conspicuous after watching Michael and Rawls who bounce when they are navigating gaps. Blech.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
At least Collins is durable which cannot be said of couple of other backs who are rated higher than him. Does Arkansas play a zone blocking scheme? Maybe that's a reason he's struggling early on.There are a number of factors in play. He shown more than Prosise thus far.