Competition at play caller

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":iurdp0wu said:
JonRud":iurdp0wu said:
Obviously this will never happen but bring in MIKE HOLMGREN as the play caller. Now you have one of the best play callers in NFL History with one of the best defensive minds = DOMINATION.

Mike would get Russell killed behind this OL.

Based on what? His highly discilplined time based short field WCO?

Seems to me under Bevell, Russ has been sacked more than 100 times in three years because an almost insane reliance on a deep passing game as well a failure to incorporate a short yardage passing game to your RBs and TEs at times.

firebee

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1rwd5ij2 said:
HawKnPeppa":1rwd5ij2 said:
JonRud":1rwd5ij2 said:
Obviously this will never happen but bring in MIKE HOLMGREN as the play caller. Now you have one of the best play callers in NFL History with one of the best defensive minds = DOMINATION.

Mike would get Russell killed behind this OL.

Based on what? His highly discilplined time based short field WCO?

Seems to me under Bevell, Russ has been sacked more than 100 times in three years because an almost insane reliance on a deep passing game as well a failure to incorporate a short yardage passing game to your RBs and TEs at times.

Here's the problem with Wilson and a WCO... WCO is heavily reliant on short passes. Problem is... Wilson is short and in order to get the ball out to the open receiver, back or TE on a quick short route, you have to be able to see those openings immediately. Wilson's looking through windows to get the ball out on quick passes, instead of being able to look over the line and see the open receiver. If you haven't noticed, Wilson's had problems with getting the ball out to the open quick reads all year long. The last play of the Super Bowl is pretty indicative of what you'd see if we implemented the WCO. Sure... Wilson doesn't get sacked as much, but we'd see a ton more interceptions and batted down balls. This offense was designed to use the Erhardt-Perkins Offensive System, a run oriented offensive system that opens the passing game up with play-action. Run the ball, throw to the outs or hit the intermediate soft spots in zone coverage on the base pass plays and take shots downfield when the Safeties start cheating up too much. This is part of the reason why I'd love to see us replace Bevell with Charlie Weis. Weis is an Erhardt-Perkins guy, the offensive system our offense was designed for.

Greenhell

Reaction score
JonRud":2oszvp3h said:

No. The game has far passed Holmy. I never want to see another FB draw ever again. He plays not to lose. Hell no.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
LymonHawk":115l37ii said:
I think we should fire Paul Allan. He hired PC, who in turn hired Bevell.

Maybe all the Bevell haters should pool their money and buy the Seahawks....simple.

And because sooooooo many people here are smarter than Pete or Bevell, we will never have a failed play, or ever lose a game. Dynasty! Do it!!

:roll:

Hahahahahaha :th2thumbs:

fatcat

Reaction score
The first and most important thing a OC that calls plays must possess is a loyalty to the team rather to his own ambitions. Hawks didn't run Lynch from the 1 yard line, against the team that finished LAST in the league in stopping runs inside the 5 yard line, because to do so wouldn't have gotten Bevell any mention in the post game analysis. Conversely, calling a risky pass that wins the superbowl would be called genius in many circles, at the very least naming Bevell as the coach that fooled Belichek! Moving up to a head coaching job, that's what Bevell has and will continue to be all about.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1g6n91i8 said:
I would have liked to have seen Jim Zorn in that capacity, but oh well.

I, too, get the feeling that Jim Zorn would appreciate a bigger roll in the Seahawk organization.

firebee

Reaction score
fatcat":2jcdmp72 said:
The first and most important thing a OC that calls plays must possess is a loyalty to the team rather to his own ambitions. Hawks didn't run Lynch from the 1 yard line, against the team that finished LAST in the league in stopping runs inside the 5 yard line, because to do so wouldn't have gotten Bevell any mention in the post game analysis. Conversely, calling a risky pass that wins the superbowl would be called genius in many circles, at the very least naming Bevell as the coach that fooled Belichek! Moving up to a head coaching job, that's what Bevell has and will continue to be all about.

My thoughts exactly. From contorting our offense to make Harvin the centerpiece with cutesy gimmick playcalling at the beginning of the season to abandoning Lynch at the goalline in the Super Bowl... He seems to be more about proving this offense is his vs. doing what's best for the team and running the offense the way it was intended to operate.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
LymonHawk":32n3vvw5 said:
I think we should fire Paul Allan. He hired PC, who in turn hired Bevell.

Maybe all the Bevell haters should pool their money and buy the Seahawks....simple.

And because sooooooo many people here are smarter than Pete or Bevell, we will never have a failed play, or ever lose a game. Dynasty! Do it!!

:roll:

You think competition at OC is such a ridiculous idea that it's comparable to this level of absurdity?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
So how would one run a play-calling competition? Some kind of Ender's Game drill with elaborate Madden 2015 simulations? Actually sounds kind of fun.

But in reality, the Hawks have had the most success over the last 2 years than every other team in the NFL. Much of that can be attributed to Darrell Bevell. I'm a 12 who's going to stand behind Bevell and look forward to many more years of prosperity.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":22sjkzaj said:
So how would one run a play-calling competition?

Let Cable or an outside hire call some of the plays in practice and preseason. If they appear to be more consistent than Bevell, then they should call the plays instead of Bevell.

That would allow Bevell to focus on helping with game planning and designing the script, which would probably be more his forte.

kearly

Reaction score
It would never happen, but I like the thought.

At the very least, it's nice to know how Tom Cable will call a game. It's not far fetched that he could be our OC or even head coach at some point down the road.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3vnyrwsp said:
Mike "3rd & Long, Run It Up The Gut!" Holmgren?
Ahhhh the 3rd and 20 draw play to the fullback, was my all time hated play....... until DB's bubble screens from hell that never work. The play you mentioned is now my #2 most hated play as it is a "give up" play, might as well just punt on 3rd down.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2d9axk60 said:
Siouxhawk":2d9axk60 said:
So how would one run a play-calling competition?

Let Cable or an outside hire call some of the plays in practice and preseason. If they appear to be more consistent than Bevell, then they should call the plays instead of Bevell.

That would allow Bevell to focus on helping with game planning and designing the script, which would probably be more his forte.

I'm all for that ... it would dovetail with the mantra of Pete.

In my view, the coaching staff should be working as one unit anyhow. That's why they have the headsets and microphones. I realize you only have brief amounts of time to make a decision without the benefit of a timeout, but the cohesion of gameplanning and the in-game spotting of tendencies to exploit should dictate the type of play to be called. I could be remiss, but I believe a certain level of this already exists.

crosfam

Reaction score
I will stick with the OC that is 25-7 in the regular season over two years, and 5-1 in the playoffs, with a 1-1 super bowl record and a third year QB. Remember the Broncos last year?, evidently teams still believe in those coaches and it was 43-8.

Fox - new HC at Chicago
Gase - interviewed for several HC jobs, new OC in Chicago. Supposedly Had his pick of OC offers.
Del Rio - former DC, new HC in Oakland
Richard Smith - Linebacker coach, New DC in Atlanta

It is quite possible all those teams improve, while Denver goes backwards.

Panic is what will ruin this team, not coaching.