Competition at play caller

LymonHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2qkdhac4 said:
LymonHawk":2qkdhac4 said:
I think we should fire Paul Allan. He hired PC, who in turn hired Bevell.

Maybe all the Bevell haters should pool their money and buy the Seahawks....simple.

And because sooooooo many people here are smarter than Pete or Bevell, we will never have a failed play, or ever lose a game. Dynasty! Do it!!

:roll:

You think competition at OC is such a ridiculous idea that it's comparable to this level of absurdity?

Actually, Dr. Cooper, it's called sarcasm.

I do think the idea of OC by committee is absurd...but that said; I feel certain more than one mind goes into designing plays and drafting strategy. However, having one person call one series and someone else the next series, and someone else the next series, etc, etc,....is absurd.

YMMV

Seafan

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2neyau35 said:
HawKnPeppa":2neyau35 said:
JonRud":2neyau35 said:
Obviously this will never happen but bring in MIKE HOLMGREN as the play caller. Now you have one of the best play callers in NFL History with one of the best defensive minds = DOMINATION.

Mike would get Russell killed behind this OL.

Based on what? His highly discilplined time based short field WCO?

Seems to me under Bevell, Russ has been sacked more than 100 times in three years because an almost insane reliance on a deep passing game as well a failure to incorporate a short yardage passing game to your RBs and TEs at times.

Agreed. A lot of RWs sacks are on him. That goes with the territory.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3leygj9e said:
HawKnPeppa":3leygj9e said:
JonRud":3leygj9e said:
Obviously this will never happen but bring in MIKE HOLMGREN as the play caller. Now you have one of the best play callers in NFL History with one of the best defensive minds = DOMINATION.

Mike would get Russell killed behind this OL.

Based on what? His highly discilplined time based short field WCO?

Seems to me under Bevell, Russ has been sacked more than 100 times in three years because an almost insane reliance on a deep passing game as well a failure to incorporate a short yardage passing game to your RBs and TEs at times.

Because he would tell Russ to stay in the pocket and insist that our WR's and OL do what they are not good at. It would be a struggle until Mike got the WRs he covets.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Anyone would think the Seahawks didn't field a top ten offense the last two years.

Just stop.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Innovative post, Hawknation2015. You've highlight one of the core concepts behind the criticism of Bevell and this concept is that even the most adamant critics of Bevell don't necessarily want him gone. What they want is improvement in play-calling, formation selection, etc., and they're particularly cynical toward the prospect of Bevell himself improving in this regard. It's a change in definition, sure, but firing someone because they're incapable of performing their job to a desired standard is still fundamentally different than firing someone because they aren't yet capable of performing their job to a desired standard.

What your suggestion accomplishes is a shift toward accounting for and even embracing the possibility that Bevell himself could become the less-imperfect OC so many fans want. It's the closest thing posted here yet to a compromise between the true desire of "Fire Bevell" and those who don't want to reinvent the offensive wheel we've experienced so much success with so far.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1wkhprad said:
Anyone would think the Seahawks didn't field a top ten offense the last two years.

Just stop.

That argument doesn't work because any of us could say, "We had a top 10 offense the last two years with Bevell holding us back! Imagine how good our offense would we without him!"

Mathematical determinations about football aren't advanced enough yet to separate any given individual from the team. The rest is up to our interpretation and thus, Bevell haters use this same information to demonstrate our full post-Bevell potential and Bevell supporters use it to demonstrate how good of thing it is that the haters want rebuilt. Definitive conclusions supported with ambiguous information... we make them as naturally as we breathe air, don't we?

LTH

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":s9oza207 said:
Innovative post, Hawknation2015. You've highlight one of the core concepts behind the criticism of Bevell and this concept is that even the most adamant critics of Bevell don't necessarily want him gone. What they want is improvement in play-calling, formation selection, etc., and they're particularly cynical toward the prospect of Bevell himself improving in this regard. It's a change in definition, sure, but firing someone because they're incapable of performing their job to a desired standard is still fundamentally different than firing someone because they aren't yet capable of performing their job to a desired standard.

What your suggestion accomplishes is a shift toward accounting for and even embracing the possibility that Bevell himself could become the less-imperfect OC so many fans want. It's the closest thing posted here yet to a compromise between the true desire of "Fire Bevell" and those who don't want to reinvent the offensive wheel we've experienced so much success with so far.

Very nice... I think people dont understand the x's and o's from the Seahawks game plan and why the Hawks do what they do... I know I dont have a great understanding of it because Im not an NFL coach... I just know that if it works dont fix it...cant argue with the Seahawks record over the last 3 years ... this team makes some gutsy plays at crucial momments and they do that because they have the confidance to make it work... Its who they are and some times that is difficult for the fans to understand when it doesnt work out...

LTH

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":3rzu21vk said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3rzu21vk said:

Just stop.

That argument doesn't work because any of us could say, "We had a top 10 offense the last two years with Bevell holding us back! Imagine how good our offense would we without him!"

Yeah we could be #1 instead of #5... which would make how much difference exactly?

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":30fye9um said:
BirdsCommaAngry":30fye9um said:
theENGLISHseahawk":30fye9um said:

Just stop.

Yeah we could be #1 instead of #5... which would make how much difference exactly?

A more consistent offense and a Super Bowl of difference.

:th2thumbs:

MrThortan

Reaction score
Bevell has been under a lot of heat and I am sure he is aware of it. I am assuming he will be the OC this coming season and hope this is the year he proves he is the man for the job. Trying to be optimistic and hoping to see improved play calling next season.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
LymonHawk":1ypa5qpq said:
Throwdown":1ypa5qpq said:
This is getting ridiculous...

My thoughts exactly.
So those 3rd and 2 and 3rd and 3 empty backfield sets inviting a blitz (especially against a blitz heavy team like the Rams) and thus completely taking away the threat of a running play make sense to you?

LymonHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":20b3g3bh said:
LymonHawk":20b3g3bh said:
Throwdown":20b3g3bh said:

My thoughts exactly.
So those 3rd and 2 and 3rd and 3 empty backfield sets inviting a blitz (especially against a blitz heavy team like the Rams) and thus completely taking away the threat of a running play make sense to you?

???????

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
LymonHawk":tn8ti1qr said:
hawksfansinceday1":tn8ti1qr said:
LymonHawk":tn8ti1qr said:
Throwdown":tn8ti1qr said:

My thoughts exactly.

???????

Bevell's (over)use of the empty set in short yardage situations has been one of the biggest criticisms of his inconsistent play calling.

Even if you plan to throw the ball in those situations, why not use Lynch as a decoy?

bbsplitter

Reaction score
To a point competition becomes useless. If you are switching QB's every week because the past week the other one had a down game, it would not promote consistency, and would ruin timing with the offense etc etc. Thats why QB's have to go on a major screwing-everything-up trend before they get benched. And it's even more paramount for the play caller to be consistent. How would it look to the team if Caroll brought in 5 OC's and says okay best play caller over the course of the offseason/preseason wins. Sounds fun and all, but at the end you have a play caller who has proven himself the best, yes, but has spent 1/5 of the time he could have working with the players/coaches.

Now, having said that, I do believe there are some mistakes that simply are fire-able offenses. I don't believe he has helped RW as much as RW has helped him, and that play-call in the super bowl in my belief truly was a fire-able offense. Not simply that it was a pass, but because of the personnel he decided to run it with, etc. I think we could bring in any old coordinator that could call the same bland route trees that Bevell does, heck Caroll could probably do it in his sleep.

But. If it is Caroll's and Schnieder's choice that Bevell presents the best option for the team, I trust that, and I don't want to see a "competition at playcaller" however that would work. If he is the guy, then he is the guy. Draft/sign some upgrades at receiver, continue to the develop the O-line, continue to get better and lets see what he does.