Copycat league: Chiefs go for noise record

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2hy30b95 said:
Imitation is definitely the sincerest form of flattery, and a testament to what folks in Seattle have been able to accomplish. No small feat, and something to be very proud of.

All that said, I think there's the chance that the degree to which this has captured the public consciousness might not be a good thing for Hawks fans in the long run.

The NFL lifted some restrictions in promoting crowd noise this offseason (see: http://goo.gl/OtZQM9 ), but as I know many of you remember from the Kingdome, teams have historically gotten penalized if crowd noise was disruptive, and that's still in the rule book (see #4 on p. 100 for the ref's signal for the crowd noise penalty): http://goo.gl/q7N4n ).

Goodell has also historically been quite clear on how he believes crowd noise should play a role, and should not play a role ( http://goo.gl/e2X7GV ):

Goodell said he believed that noise should lift a defense, not interrupt an offense. He said he did not want to hush the crowd, just limit its impact.

“That’s what our game is about: our athletes and coaches playing at the highest possible level and being able to execute their game plans,” Goodell said Sept. 6, during his first news conference after succeeding Paul Tagliabue.

“To some extent right now, I think we are hindering that a little bit, because they come into an opposing stadium and they are not able to put the full offense in, they are not able to run plays in, they are not able to change the plays at the line of scrimmage.”

This from the same piece back in '06 about the CLink where Goodell first forwarded the idea of putting wireless headseats in the offenses helmet for pre-snap use.

So, nothing to really be concerned about at this point and a lot to be very proud about, but I have to imagine the Hawks org probably isn't too pleased that someone is already trying to imitate them, and definitely hoping it doesn't become a trend.

So you're in the boat that thinks the Clink is too loud too? Goodell should do something to quiet us?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
-The Glove-":zrvoc6z1 said:
So you're in the boat that thinks the Clink is too loud too? Goodell should do something to quiet us?

No, I'm not even remotely in that boat.

If you take a look at my post again, I was trying to contribute to the discussion by providing some information about where Goodell might be on that boat and where the NFL has historically been on that boat under his tenure, and thought it might be interesting to consider the double-edged sword of other fanbases catching on and imitating you guys (both flattering, and also possibly spoiling the party if it becomes a trend). If that's not an interesting discussion for anyone here, my apologies.

(and probably worth saying: I know I'm relatively new here and you guys have every reason to be distrustful of me given my fandom, but I'm actually trying to contribute, not just needle people and be a silly homer. Like everyone else, sometimes I agree and sometimes I disagree. Unlike most 9ers fans though, I don't dislike the Hawks. I really love the Hawks as a team and love their players; Sherman is awesome and hilarious, RW reminds me more of Steve Young than any QB I've ever seen, I really love Lynch as a player and he also used to work out at the field I coached on and would help out our guys from time to time, etc.)

The Radish

Reaction score
I think its amazing the day and night difference the NFL has about crowd noise now as opposed to the King Dome days. Its nice to know there are some things the fans can be in control of.

I'm pretty sure we will soon see high tech helmets so QBs can get the plays in from the sidelines. But I doubt they will ever give that type of helmet to all the players on the field. To easy to hack.

If all members get those kinds of helmets we need posters that are good hackers. Imagine what a cluster that would be. The thought puts a smile on my face.

This fan noise thing is putting more butts in seats in more stadiums, so they can't think its bad.

KCHawkgirl has said several times that the place is loud but its a different loud and nothing like our place. I don't think the teams are being allowed to participate because of the idea they might cheat like they have with crowd noise in the past. ( I know, hard to believe).

:les:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1ggp2ty2 said:
That is a big and loud stadium. Maybe they get it? So what? Compete.
Should be fun. People around here are starting to think the Chiefs may be pretty good. Back in the '90's when the team was elite Arrowhead was loud, nearly as loud as the 12th Man. (I didn't same as but close). Wouldn't be surprised if they come closest to us.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Good. When they fail to get close, we'll have definitive prove that Century Link is the loudest stadium in the NFL.

pmedic920

Reaction score
If the "chiefs" get involved, the way the "SEAHAWKS" didn't, they will probably break the record. Hell they have almost 80k seats. If they can do it good for them, but I know the 12s will retake the title, at the first opportunity. "GO 12s"

muxpux

Reaction score
[youtube]uc9Eii21hyE[/youtube]

i thought there was a clip of this happening in the kingdome but cant find it.

hawker84

Reaction score
If the chiefs or any other open air stadium breaks it, good for them. But dome stadiums should be in their own catagory, how would that be even remotely fair?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Just from my view, Goodell says a lot of things. He says that he cares about player safety, but somehow we still don't have two bye weeks during the season and he was just trying to add two more games to the regular season.

What I think he will do is say that crowds aren't meant to hamper an offense, but he will look at how hyped the matchup was and how well the game did in the ratings (even with the hour-long delay) and how the crowd noise/CLink/12th Man culture is part of what makes the South Alaska Seahawks a nationally marketable team for once, and he will basically chill out.

Exittium

Reaction score
#1 reason why I'm not worried.. and the only reason I'm not worried is because watch them on game day.. they barely ever fill out their seats. They need fans there if they want break any kind of record.

and I agree
hawker84":3ekhvcbj said:
If the chiefs or any other open air stadium breaks it, good for them. But dome stadiums should be in their own catagory, how would that be even remotely fair?

Stadium's noise is more contained, possibly amplified because they have more speakers usually as well in the rafters. And the structure itself absorbs the sound making it feel more intense.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Regardless of stadium, the Seahawks fans are relentless. The others just don't have an idea of how truly hard Seattle fans work at this. Other teams talk about silencing the crowd by scoring a bunch.

Good luck with that. The Seahawk defense is and has been playing at an amazing level since the last half of 2011. Even earlier, but in 2011 the defense started getting stingy.

C-Dub

Reaction score
It's funny because they have to pick a game they actually know they can win, and the Raiders are the only team on the schedule.

Browncoat

Reaction score
Realistically, there are only a few potential stadiums that could be competitive:

- Chiefs (no acoustical advantage, just sheer numbers)
- Rams (remember reading that their stadium is incredibly loud)
- Vikings (I've been there, and it's crazy loud)

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Browncoat":2wobntz7 said:
- Rams (remember reading that their stadium is incredibly loud)

One of the quietest domes I have ever been to, they would need to fill it more than half way full to have a chance.

HansGruber

Reaction score
136.6 decibels. Do you know how hard that would be to break that record? 140db causes permanent hearing damage within seconds. In fact, according to NIOSH, Seahawk fans should not have been exposed to 136db for longer than a few seconds without hearing protection.

I don't think anyone will break that record for a long long time, and if they do, it will happen right here in Seattle.

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
HansGruber":pwmbar4x said:
136.6 decibels. Do you know how hard that would be to break that record? 140db causes permanent hearing damage within seconds. In fact, according to NIOSH, Seahawk fans should not have been exposed to 136db for longer than a few seconds without hearing protection.

I don't think anyone will break that record for a long long time, and if they do, it will happen right here in Seattle.

This is true, but just to clarify, the difference between 136 and 140 is larger than one might think. It's an exponential scale, much like a Richter scale.. Such as a 6.0 earthquake is 10x magnitude of a 5.0.

HansGruber

Reaction score
CaptainSkybeard":31uih15l said:
HansGruber":31uih15l said:

This is true, but just to clarify, the difference between 136 and 140 is larger than one might think. It's an exponential scale, much like a Richter scale.. Such as a 6.0 earthquake is 10x magnitude of a 5.0.

Every 3 decibels = twice as loud.

So to get to 140, KC would have to be twice as loud as Seattle was at its very peak on Sunday. There's no way that will ever happen, anywhere. Not unless someone "cheats"