Costacos Brothers to release first poster in 20 years

OP
OP
253hawk

253hawk

Reaction score
The reason no one made them is because they sold their business. And most of the cheesy themed ones were done during the 80s; the 90s ones were more stylized based on action shots like stuff you would see in S.I.

Damn. Does everything have to be so serious these days?

Chapow

Reaction score
253hawk":drmma4kl said:
The reason no one made them is because they sold their business. And most of the cheesy themed ones were done during the 80s; the 90s ones were more stylized based on action shots like stuff you would see in S.I.

I have no idea because I honestly can't tell if this poster is supposed to be taken seriously like they were back in the day or if it's just a joke. If it's just a joke then, kudos, well done. If it's serious though, like this is supposed to come off as bad ass or something, yikes.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Chapow":1ri2f13q said:
253hawk":1ri2f13q said:

I have no idea because I honestly can't tell if this poster is supposed to be taken seriously like they were back in the day or if it's just a joke. If it's just a joke then, kudos, well done. If it's serious though, like this is supposed to come off as bad ass or something, yikes.

I don't see it as funny nor serious. It looks to me like a fun way for him to make some money for his charity. Nothing more, nothing less.

mrt144

Reaction score
Chapow":1ch6elpt said:
253hawk":1ch6elpt said:

We are hella post modern if we're trying to deconstruct the intent of a poster where RW is Rambo-seque. Were there these kinds of deconstructions of media back in the 80s?

Chapow

Reaction score
mrt144":3ngmj8qn said:
Chapow":3ngmj8qn said:
253hawk":3ngmj8qn said:

We are hella post modern if we're trying to deconstruct the intent of a poster where RW is Rambo-seque. Were there these kinds of deconstructions of media back in the 80s?

I have no idea, I was born in the very late 70's and wasn't really paying much attention to anything but skateboarding, riding my BMX, and playing with friends when I was, like, 6 or 7 or 8 years old.

I'm pretty sure these kinds of posters were meant to convey something and I'm pretty sure that something was to portray the guys in them as bad ass, or quite simply, "Look how awesome this guy is".

mrt144

Reaction score
Chapow":1uaqzh4r said:
mrt144":1uaqzh4r said:
Chapow":1uaqzh4r said:
253hawk":1uaqzh4r said:

I have no idea, I was born in the very late 70's and wasn't really paying much attention to anything but skateboarding, riding my BMX, and playing with friends when I was, like, 6 or 7 or 8 years old.

I'm pretty sure these kinds of posters were meant to convey something and I'm pretty sure that something was to portray the guys in them as bad ass, or quite simply, "Look how awesome this guy is".

But given the cheeky and seemingly forced pop culture references there's gotta be some "This is totally ridiculous too, right?"

Chapow

Reaction score
mrt144":10agp33p said:
But given the cheeky and seemingly forced pop culture references there's gotta be some "This is totally ridiculous too, right?"

Now? With this current Russell Wilson poster? I would certainly think so, but admittedly, I am kind of wondering.

The posters from back then though? No, not really. Although I was very young in the 80's, I do remember a hell of a lot of super ridiculous stuff that was most definitely not considered ridiculous at the time. Quite the contrary actually.

mrt144

Reaction score
Chapow":18dskmxv said:
mrt144":18dskmxv said:

Now? With this current Russell Wilson poster? I would certainly think so, but admittedly, I am kind of wondering.

The posters from back then though? No, not really. Although I was very young in the 80's, I do remember a hell of a lot of super ridiculous stuff that was most definitely not considered ridiculous at the time. Quite the contrary actually.

So this explains the nostalgia for a time when you could be earnestly ridiculous without a hint of self deprecation or meta social commentary. Simpler times.

Chapow

Reaction score
mrt144":2utkiqas said:
Chapow":2utkiqas said:
mrt144":2utkiqas said:

So this explains the nostalgia for a time when you could be earnestly ridiculous without a hint of self deprecation or meta social commentary. Simpler times.

Yep, and those times are long gone. Hence why he is getting laughed at and made fun of for this.

And before anyone jumps in with "who cares?", a lot of people care. I've been here for quite awhile now. I have seen countless times how incredibly offended, upset, and defensive many people here get when anything Seahawks related gets made fun of or laughed at. This is absolutely going to be used as fodder by fans of other teams to make fun of Wilson and people are absolutely going to get offended, upset, and defensive about it. FTR, I am not one of those people.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/2 ... ry#3925953

Interesting story on those guys.

If you were wondering if they are suppose to be serious...

marrying pop culture and sports during an era of affluence when athletes were marketed as icons – many of them also projected a nuanced yet important image of athletes not as caricatures, but as men worthy of superhero status.

pose for photographers in get-ups that were at once playful and positive, creating lasting and captivating images

every young boy and girl in the country wanted one on his or her bedroom wall.

Andy Bernstein, LA photographer: I’ve been around athletes for my whole career, 33 years. You’ll never have athletes do this again, ever, even if they’re getting paid big bucks by Nike or Reebok or Adidas, because this is all tongue in cheek, real campy stuff.

I love that last bit by Andy Bernstein, campy is the perfect word. And our boy of course is the first one in 20 years to do one of these posters. Which I think makes sense, these are local Seattle guys, and RW doesn't take himself too seriously, seems to have a good sense of humor, and will do anything for charity.

Some of you guys just need to relax, lord.

rcambaker

Reaction score
I think the poster is awesome and I bought one. It is so cheesy it is great! The little details like "12 Power", "50 yard bombs", "Needle Threaders". Not to mention the random CD. It screams 80s. I think it is hilarious. It may even get framed

Largent80

Reaction score
Just ordered from RW's foundation site. The 80's rocked, don't listen to schoolgirls like Uncle Si who had maybe 3 pubes during the decade. :)

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
If I had my old ones, I'd totally get 'em framed.

I had the Easley, Boz and Largent ones, all up on the walls of my bedroom, right next to Heather Thomas and her pink bikini. :D :2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
And when Russ retires and that poster is 2000 dollars or more on ebay or what ever the next big thing is depending if you can get it signed could be worth more. Try to find a Easley poster or that Largent or Boz poster.

If Russ can win a couple more Super Bowls, get in the HOF you have a memory and a gold mine which ever you choose.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":39h4a5bl said:
If I had my old ones, I'd totally get 'em framed.

I had the Easley, Boz and Largent ones, all up on the walls of my bedroom, right next to Heather Thomas and her pink bikini. :D :2thumbs:

Love and Laughs...

brettb3

Reaction score
Chapow":85ig6xnz said:
mrt144":85ig6xnz said:
Chapow":85ig6xnz said:
mrt144":85ig6xnz said:

Yep, and those times are long gone. Hence why he is getting laughed at and made fun of for this.

And before anyone jumps in with "who cares?", a lot of people care. I've been here for quite awhile now. I have seen countless times how incredibly offended, upset, and defensive many people here get when anything Seahawks related gets made fun of or laughed at. This is absolutely going to be used as fodder by fans of other teams to make fun of Wilson and people are absolutely going to get offended, upset, and defensive about it. FTR, I am not one of those people.
Who cares?

erik2690

Reaction score
I bought one. At the very least it's a fun poster IMO. I like it even without the charity element, so add that in and I'm game.