Could they cut Eskridge?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

This article says that Eskridge could be done for, but doesn’t elaborate on timeline.

Chances he will be gone in 2023?
Or does he hang around until his contract expires after 2024?
Can this guy play special teams?

sutz

Reaction score
Of course they could. Depends on a lot of factors, though. If they find a young stud in this draft they might dump Eskridge. He has been a bit of a disappointment and he should maybe be doing better by now.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
There is not a single player that is "untouchable" any team can cut any player if they wanted too. Some are closer to be untouchable than others though. If there is an hierarchy of current Seahawk players, I would place Dee Eskridge toward the bottom third of players. So they could easily cut him.

Last edited:

NoGain

Reaction score
My complete guess is that they give him one more year to get on track before they cut bait. This of course is based on the idea that the guy is really putting in the work. They've tended to be more on the patient side with players on rookie contracts.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

We already owe him 455k in signing bonus for 23 and 24. But by cutting him this year, we would avoid paying him over 1.2m in 23, and 1.4m in 2024.

WarHawks

Reaction score
That would be too bad. I hope he turns it around.

James in PA

Reaction score
I wish we didn't have more pressing needs, because JSN would come in and have an immediate impact. We'd have such a great WR group. He'd make us forget all about these jags that haven't panned out at WR3.

nwHawk

Reaction score
If cut post June 1, Hawks save $1.2 million. Given the cap situation if he doesn’t show out I think he is cut.

For all of his talk about being an alpha when he first came to Seattle he is looking like LJ Collier part 2.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
If cut post June 1, Hawks save $1.2 million. Given the cap situation if he doesn’t show out I think he is cut.

For all of his talk about being an alpha when he first came to Seattle he is looking like LJ Collier part 2.

But there will be no opportunity to show out really before June 1

nwHawk

Reaction score
He only saves $778,771 if cut before June 1st. That’s why I think he get this last training camp to showcase that he could have a role. Really, I think he gets cut.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score

We already owe him 455k in signing bonus for 23 and 24. But by cutting him this year, we would avoid paying him over 1.2m in 23, and 1.4m in 2024.
You're correct on avoiding the $1.2M in 2023 and the $1.4M in 2024 if he's cut, but you're off base on owing him "455k in signing bonus for 23 and 24".

He has already received his signing bonus. We don't owe him any more money there.

The remaining prorated portion of his signing bonus (the 445k you mentioned) is a bookkeeping thing, and only marginally affects the team's salary cap space this year and next.

Btw, overthecap.com has the remaining prorated signing bonus at $422.5k each year.

source: https://overthecap.com/player/dwayne-eskridge/9520

Jville

Reaction score
Would this save us any cap space?
The pre-June 1st cap savings attributed to Eskridge is indeed $778,771. But a 51st ranked cap replacement would count $750,000 against the cap. So the net pre-June 1st release would result in a small cap space gain of only $28,771. Not a significant number.

So yea, Hawkstorian and nwHawk nailed it in their above posts. Eskridge should be around to compete for a role again this year ............. unless a trade is made.

nanomoz

Reaction score
They've shown a propensity to hang onto some players not because of their contributions, but because of the investment made in them. LJ Collier making the team and taking snaps away from Myles Adams last season is a recent, resonant example. Adams was dynamite in the preseason.

I have little doubt that he'll make the roster, and probably at the expense of a better football player like Cade Johnson or a late-round rookie. But I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong. (Tyler Locket singled out Johnson as a player to watch this season, for what it's worth.)

They're certainly not foolish enough to count on Eskridge to finally claim that third wide receiver role. The roster spot would be better used on a younger player that has more special teams value--kick coverage, particularly.