Could they cut Eskridge?

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Dont know if they will, but they should. Guy has been absolutely useless since day 1. He was a horrible pick.
TBF, he did get a really bad concussion on his very 1st touch in the NFL regular season.

I do agree that he was a horrible pick & I never say anything about draft picks.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Isn't there a kid playing for the Dragons (Pearson?) that could basically do the same thing Eskridge was supposed to do? (Be a quick slot guy and dangerous on the edges)

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
You're correct on avoiding the $1.2M in 2023 and the $1.4M in 2024 if he's cut, but you're off base on owing him "455k in signing bonus for 23 and 24".

He has already received his signing bonus. We don't owe him any more money there.

The remaining prorated portion of his signing bonus (the 445k you mentioned) is a bookkeeping thing, and only marginally affects the team's salary cap space this year and next.

Btw, overthecap.com has the remaining prorated signing bonus at $422.5k each year.

source: https://overthecap.com/player/dwayne-eskridge/9520
Isn't there a kid playing for the Dragons (Pearson?) that could basically do the same thing Eskridge was supposed to do? (Be a quick slot guy and dangerous on the edges)

Like I’ve been saying and watching for. Their game is on now on espn2

Mick063

Reaction score
It is very likely if they take a receiver with one of their first five picks. Really, it is dependent upon how the draft falls. Eskridge will be a victim of circumstance. Team A picked a LB instead of a WR and so that WR unexpectedly falls into Seattle's lap. Eskridge then becomes a casualty of someone else's pick.

Another scenario is if a cap casualty from another team is considered an affordable upgrade (or the salary structure is roughly equivalent to Eskridge). In that case, he could be let go the week preceding opening day. You never know when a surprising rookie is going to send some veteran from another team packing.

Last edited:

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
The Seahawks have a trend of hanging on to their early draft choices...such as LJ Collier and CJ Prosise. In both cases, posters here were saying that they should be "cut loose". But, Seahawks management kept these early round choices...still not sure why...

I bet that Eskridge is not going anywhere. He had a tough start, but could still produce some good results.

morgulon1

Reaction score
The Seahawks have a trend of hanging on to their early draft choices...such as LJ Collier and CJ Prosise. In both cases, posters here were saying that they should be "cut loose". But, Seahawks management kept these early round choices...still not sure why...

I bet that Eskridge is not going anywhere. He had a tough start, but could still produce some good results.
That has always puzzled me with Seattle. Hanging onto players too long

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

This Approach is what I have a problem with, just prioritizing high Rounders because they were high.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
This Approach is what I have a problem with, just prioritizing high Rounders because they were high.
It's not that different from the stock market. An example...

You invest a fair amount (maybe $10,000) in a blue-chip stock. In the short and mid-term, the stock trends generally downward but you trust your judgement in your decision to invest in the stock, so you hold onto it for several years and hope that the investment ultimately pays off... and when it doesn't, you sell it off for a loss.

On the flip side, you find a little-known stock that you think might pay off big, so you invest a small amount (maybe $1000) to see if it explodes on the scene and gets you a high yield ROI.

In this analogy, the blue-chip investment is a 1st round pick that ultimately busts (no 2nd contract from any team), and the latter is a 5th, 6th or 7th round pick that might become a star.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I don't foresee them cutting him this season.
Neither do I, especially considering that they have only 52 players currently under contract and will likely draft 10 players (perhaps a couple more if they trade down a time or two), which will leave about 26 players that they need to re-sign or add as UDFAs in order to fill out their 90-man roster at the start of TC.

They could decide to start TC with fewer than 90... though few, if any, teams actually do.

Mick063

Reaction score
Neither do I, especially considering that they have only 52 players currently under contract and will likely draft 10 players (perhaps a couple more if they trade down a time or two), which will leave about 26 players that they need to re-sign or add as UDFAs in order to fill out their 90-man roster at the start of TC.

They could decide to start TC with fewer than 90... though few, if any, teams actually do.
The main two things he has going for him is that he is still under the rookie contract, and he has familiarity with the QB's and system.
I think you are right. I think he ends up serving the full term of his contract with Seattle opting not to extend. Unless he blows up this season. Even then it may be too late with Seattle just opting for the potential boon of a compensatory pick. Still, if the team drafts a WR in the first four rounds Eskridge isn't exactly safe for a weekly active roster spot. Throw in a cap casualty from another team and he could be let go altogether. You are right though. A lot of things have to take place for it to happen.

Sometimes it takes a while for wide receivers. It took Golden Tate a couple years to get going. Maybe he surprises everyone.

Last edited:

flv2

Reaction score
As others have said he isn't guaranteed anything and he has to justify a roster place. If the Seahawks have better options he'll be cut. He's due $1.201M and the minimum wage for him would be $940K. They could embarrass him by asking him to take such a cut but he'd likely only agree if they removed the 4th year potentially making him a RFA in 2024. As a guestimate 75-80% chance he's on the Seahawks roster at Week 1.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Unless they've totally lost faith in him and they can find multiple receivers they believe in more than him, there's really no reason not to keep him around until at least the first round of cuts. He has no guarantees in his contract, so we can wait to cut him until after camp has begun and we see what we have. Also, waiting to cut him gives them the flexibility to spread the small dead money (a little more than $800k) over two years instead of one.

I fully expect us to add some WRs to our team through the draft and through the UDFA market. It won't be easy for Eskridge to make the team this year. He'll definitely need to earn it this year.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
We don't know his back story, behind-the-scenes stuff obviously but as a fan looking in, I would say this is another bust pick. I say cut the dude and hope he lands somewhere else and does okay for himself. It just isn't happening here.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
We don't know his back story, behind-the-scenes stuff obviously but as a fan looking in, I would say this is another bust pick. I say cut the dude and hope he lands somewhere else and does okay for himself. It just isn't happening here.

Add to this that he’s often hurt And never flashed when healthy.