Cowboys + Refs = Trouble

OpHawk

Reaction score
irocdave":bsc7wvd4 said:
I don't think we will ever see a replay of the hose job the Hawks were on the wrong end of in a SB again. Besides, the Stealers were the beneficiary of the hose job for a couple of reasons, the Rooney rule, getting hosed on some call years before and Bettass retiring in his home city. Jeremy Stevens didn't help with mouthing off and not backing it up....

So, right now, who is the model franchise in the NFL? Who's owner is parading around in the media or twitter saying things they later have to side step or apologize for? Who's owner hires the right people for the job then lets them do their job at a high level? If it is realized the wrong people were hired they are let go with class and compensated for their time.Which franchise is motivated by positive influence and little to zero tolerance for issues off the field? Which NFL franchise has total buy in by the fans and return the fan base is knowledgeable and doesn't bring shame to the NFL? How many cars were tipped over after the Hawks won the SB? How many riots burned down buildings, how many cops were shot?

The Seattle Seahawks are the model franchise right now. If your the NFL you want every franchise to be like the Hawks organization. QB that can be put in front of any camera at anytime and says and does the right things, players that are media hungry but intelligent, the "bad guy" great player that doesn't get in to trouble just cannot speak in public. Most players are young and made their own way with lots of reasons why they shouldn't be in the NFL but they are.

I don't see officiating being a reason the Hawks get bounced from the playoffs this year, the Hawks are what the NFL wishes the other franchises were. Even Dallass.

These are great points. However they are greatly outweighed by the ambitions of today's NFL. Every move the NFL has made regarding the rules of the game is geared toward protecting offensive players and increasing point totals and statistics. The last thing the NFL wants is teams trying to duplicate the style of Seahawks football. As we know, and especially the guys pulling the strings at the top know, this is a copycat league.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
You know what the difference between a good team and a great team is? when the team is great, the ref calls don't matter anymore. Need an example? Seahawks were the most penalized team in the league last year, and this year if they aren't still the most with the #1 NFC seed, they're at least top 3.

OpHawk

Reaction score
Oh rest assured...... we are absolutely the most penalized team at 8.1 penalties per game (8.0 last year)

Our opponents? Least penalized at 4.4

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
ZagHawk":38a5t2d0 said:
You know what the difference between a good team and a great team is? when the team is great, the ref calls don't matter anymore. Need an example? Seahawks were the most penalized team in the league last year, and this year if they aren't still the most with the #1 NFC seed, they're at least top 3.
That's just it.

In order to take the zebras completely out of the game you have to dominate from the start XLVIII style, which is one of the reasons I dislike Bevell because his offense keeps other teams in games to the point where the zebras are a factor......
And if you are playing a "legacy team" in the playoffs one bad call or a series of bad calls can be the difference in winning a Lombardi trophy or not.

FWIW. For the Bevell fan club, I know that he play called (brilliantly I might add) XLVIII.

irocdave

Reaction score
The Seahawks are the new legacy team, guess that's the point I was trying to make. The diehard legacy fans in each market are already on board, the bandwagon fans will jump ship as long as a team stays near the top. That team could be any team. The internet and social media have changed the landscape of fans and the money that follows them and that's the basis for my thoughts above. I would have to believe the NFL is driven by the almighty dollar and a new dynasty with young, social media savvy players that flat out win would be marketing gold for the NFL. The from nothing to something is the best story, the underdog becoming dominate. As long as the mass media follows suite which seems to be happening.

I see the Hawks as the new legacy team for todays generation of casual fans.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
irocdave":3ex56t3k said:
The Seahawks are the new legacy team, guess that's the point I was trying to make. The diehard legacy fans in each market are already on board, the bandwagon fans will jump ship as long as a team stays near the top. That team could be any team. The internet and social media have changed the landscape of fans and the money that follows them and that's the basis for my thoughts above. I would have to believe the NFL is driven by the almighty dollar and a new dynasty with young, social media savvy players that flat out win would be marketing gold for the NFL. The from nothing to something is the best story, the underdog becoming dominate. As long as the mass media follows suite which seems to be happening.

From your mouth to the football gawds ears brother! I hope you are right! :)

Rob12

Reaction score
Dallas isn't getting past Detroit and they sure in the hell aren't getting past the Packers in Lambeau.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
At this point I would LOVE to face the Cowboys. We're a much better team than we were that week and their defense is a major issue for them. Our offense actually shreds any mediocre-bad defense anytime we play them. I don't think they'll get past GB though.

I actually fear no team this year. I didn't think we'd win the SB this year because of how difficult it is and parity and all that. I didn't think we'd have the #1 seed. Now that we do... I don't see any team that I wouldn't favor us against. Including AFC.

TXHawk

Reaction score
irocdave":3e5tini8 said:

I agree. This is a superstar laden team with personalities like Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, and Marshawn Lynch who are recognizable names outside of the sport. The Seahawks are a team that plays with physicality and swagger and people either love them or love to hate them but they don't ignore them. They get big ratings when they are on national TV, Seahawks jerseys are showing up all over the country, virtually every NFL fan forum has threads talking about the Seahawks, Twitter blows up every time Richard Sherman says or does something, and you can't turn on the TV anymore without seeing some Seahawks-related commercial. Hell, I live in Arlington, TX just fifteen minutes away from Jerry World and I can tell you that when I turn on the TV these days I'm more likely to see something relating to the Seahawks than the Cowboys.

This "we're just a little team from South Alaska and the NFL doesn't want us in the Big Dance" mentality needs to end. There is no more marketable team in the country right now than the Seattle Seahawks.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
TXHawk":1jew5arc said:
This "we're just a little team from South Alaska and the NFL doesn't want us in the Big Dance" mentality needs to end. There is no more marketable team in the country right now than the Seattle Seahawks.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

For the love of Paul Allen, will all of you PLEASE stop spreading this nonsense? This isn't 2003.

Do you know what the NFL loves just as much as its "legacy teams?"

Its "brash upstarts." Cocky, punch-you-in-the-mouth newcomers are just as marketable as the old standbys, if not moreso.

We've got the Boy Scout leader, the Guy Everyone Loves to Hate, and the Enigma, and even casual fans know them. More importantly, we're winning. Ergo, the NFL is making bank on the Seahawks and will continue to do so for a long, long time.

All of you claiming otherwise are either just reacting out of habit or haven't been paying attention.

Seafan

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1em86ze4 said:
Torc":1em86ze4 said:
Although there is very little connection between the 2005 team and today's team, I believe the phrase/motto "Leave No Doubt" is directly applicable. Pittsburgh left doubt in XL, the Hawks left none against Denver.

I'm looking forward to more beatdowns.
Absolutely this!

In XL*, everything was Steelers/Bettis all day every day, and I think on some level the refs just bought the hype. Prior to XLVIII, it was almost as bad, with Peyton Manning leading the best offense in NFL history.

This time, though, we had Pete Carroll coaching. (I firmly believe if PC had coached the Seahawks in XL*, we would have won that game. Why? Because all the backups would have been prepared to play. "Etric Pruitt" became a cuss word around here because he simply wasn't prepared to play. Holmgren loved his veterans, and they got all the reps. IMO, Etric's failure in the Super Bowl was more on Holmgren than it was on Etric. Pete Carroll would have had him ready to play.)

And of course, Pete and John Schneider put together one of the best defenses and fiercest secondarys in League history, so humiliating an overconfident Broncos team was almost inevitable. :D

Pete wouldn't have put Pruitt in the game. Babineaux would have gone in at safety. That's the difference in the game. No defensive coaching on that team. If Babs had played instead of Pruitt the Hawks would have won in spite of the horrible officiating.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1iqf1rei said:
TXHawk":1iqf1rei said:

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

For the love of Paul Allen, will all of you PLEASE stop spreading this nonsense? This isn't 2003.

Its "brash upstarts." Cocky, punch-you-in-the-mouth newcomers are just as marketable as the old standbys, if not moreso.

We've got the Boy Scout leader, the Guy Everyone Loves to Hate, and the Enigma, and even casual fans know them. More importantly, we're winning. Ergo, the NFL is making bank on the Seahawks and will continue to do so for a long, long time.

All of you claiming otherwise are either just reacting out of habit or haven't been paying attention.

Yep. This victim complex, and anyone who perpetuates it, is pathetic.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":gqvldhrc said:
volsunghawk":gqvldhrc said:
TXHawk":gqvldhrc said:

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Yep. This victim complex, and anyone who perpetuates it, is pathetic.

We win one, maybe 2 more Owls, then I'm agreeing with you guys. Until then, I'm not. JMO of course.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Rob12":16cezg2m said:
Dallas isn't getting past Detroit and they sure in the hell aren't getting past the Packers in Lambeau.

I say Dallas will smoke Detroit's secondary with Romo waiting up to five seconds every drop for one of his beasts to get open. It doesn't matter how good Detroit's DL is against normal-to-mediocre OL's. Even if they can stymie the run, the Dallas OL will neutralize their pass rush to the point that leaving both safeties over the top won't matter. Somebody's gonna come open by the time Romo gets to the last verse of 'American Pie.' He will lose his voice before the game is over. Also, who's gonna bet on Douboy Stafford winning a playoff game on the road? Not me. The only prayer Detroit has of pulling this off is if they can make money on the ground because Dallas lost Melton to IR.

Dallas is also very well equipped to play in Lambeau. They have exactly what GB's 'D' cant stop; Demarco Murray and a stellar run-blocking OL. Oh, and let's not forget quite a few sure-handed WRs as well as an all-pro tight end who will make enough tough catches to move the chains on the few rare occasions that GB MIGHT be lucky enough to get them in a third-and-long situation.

Dallas will meet us for the NFCC game at C-Link as long as we make it past Carolina...BOOK IT! Any other predictions are heavily influenced by wishful thinking, IMO.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I dont think its "wishful thinking" to suggest the Packers can beat Dallas at Lambeau. you make a 12-4 team at home sound like they won a division 7-9 and should be happy to be there.

TXHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":l3zonqki said:
I dont think its "wishful thinking" to suggest the Packers can beat Dallas at Lambeau. you make a 12-4 team at home sound like they won a division 7-9 and should be happy to be there.

The Cowboys are a warm weather dome team that is used to playing on a fast track, not Lambeau in January. Rodgers vs the Cowboys defense is not a good matchup for them either.

That's not to say the Cowboys can't win in Lambeau but its a very long way from wishful thinking to think that they probably won't. There's intense pressure on Romo and the team to win in the playoffs after years of futility and their stadium provides a lousy home field advantage so I'm not even totally sold on them beating the Lions.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
I guess some of you guys didn't see all the hacked Sony emails.

They scripted the entire season and completed filming in August.

All the games that people attend are merely holograms.

(Spolier alert: Dallas doesn't make the championship game.)

Some of you guys need to quit worrying about things that may or may not happen in the future. Based on the number of Dallas threads, it's obvious who is in who's head.

Rob12

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3h06ijqt said:
TXHawk":3h06ijqt said:

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

I hate to even bring this up because your post was awesome, but then how is our penalty disparity so enormous when comparing the teams we play? I don't think the NFL wants us to lose, but when you look at the sheer data, something does smell a bit afoul.

Rob12

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2pqrbexq said:
Rob12":2pqrbexq said:

I say Dallas will smoke Detroit's secondary with Romo waiting up to five seconds every drop for one of his beasts to get open. It doesn't matter how good Detroit's DL is against normal-to-mediocre OL's. Even if they can stymie the run, the Dallas OL will neutralize their pass rush to the point that leaving both safeties over the top won't matter. Somebody's gonna come open by the time Romo gets to the last verse of 'American Pie.' He will lose his voice before the game is over. Also, who's gonna bet on Douboy Stafford winning a playoff game on the road? Not me. The only prayer Detroit has of pulling this off is if they can make money on the ground because Dallas lost Melton to IR.

Dallas is also very well equipped to play in Lambeau. They have exactly what GB's 'D' cant stop; Demarco Murray and a stellar run-blocking OL. Oh, and let's not forget quite a few sure-handed WRs as well as an all-pro tight end who will make enough tough catches to move the chains on the few rare occasions that GB MIGHT be lucky enough to get them in a third-and-long situation.

Dallas will meet us for the NFCC game at C-Link as long as we make it past Carolina...BOOK IT! Any other predictions are heavily influenced by wishful thinking, IMO.

Tony Romo in the playoffs. A team that he has led to a 4-4 home record. I'm not sold.

He has to prove it. If they beat Detroit, going to a frigid Lambeau in January is going to be a colossal task. I don't see how GB wouldn't be favored heavily if that's what shakes out.

Then again, I'd absolutely love to see Dallas in the NFCCG.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
DTexHawk":1crpobon said:
I guess some of you guys didn't see all the hacked Sony emails.

They scripted the entire season and completed filming in August.

All the games that people attend are merely holograms.

(Spolier alert: Dallas doesn't make the championship game.)

Some of you guys need to quit worrying about things that may or may not happen in the future. Based on the number of Dallas threads, it's obvious who is in who's head.
Nice. :stirthepot: