Cynthia Frelund on the NFCW

ivotuk

Reaction score
You have to scroll down to where she talks about the NFCW, but she has some interesting points. Or maybe that's just the Math Geek in me. If there'd been chicks like her in my classes, I'd still be in College! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) The NFC West starting hot.

Before the season began, it seemed like most NFC West narratives had the reigning NFC champion Rams winning a third straight division title, with the Jadeveon Clowney-infused Seahawks representing a potential wild-card team.

After two weeks of action, I am not sure where the prevailing media narratives stand, but we're already seeing signs that the entire NFC West is a lot better than advertised.

During the summer, I repeatedly pointed out that NFC West teams projected to produce an abundance of defensive pressures -- one of the most valuable commodities in the game. I also had the Rams and Seahawks as playoff teams, with the Niners right on the bubble (winning nine-plus games in 54 percent of projections). I'm level-setting the past because my preseason projections about defensive pressures/disruptions are tracking favorably, but the model has shifted to the point where it's becoming more likely that the entire NFC West (all four teams) is strong enough to influence the playoffs more than originally projected -- especially since the NFC West faces the AFC North (with no Roethlisberger) and NFC South (with Brees now out of commission for a while).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ot-so-fast

----------------------------------------------------
Frelund also talks win totals on this page a couple of weeks ago, with a short video on the Seahawks.

Seattle Seahawks: 8.6 wins (projected wild card)

Ceiling: 10.9
Floor: 7.9

The addition of Jadeveon Clowney just before the season's kickoff created an all-upside scenario for the Seahawks. Defensive pressure was one of Seattle's biggest question marks (with Frank Clark's departure) -- Clowney's presence mitigates that concern. This is oversimplifying a little, but think about it like this: If a team can efficiently run the ball on offense and create lower-probability passing situations on defense, you've complemented your offensive control by reducing the potential for teams to score quickly against your defense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... iling-high

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the preseason expectation of 8.6 wins on average, but the floor/ceiling metrics are far too narrow for every team, us included. After the season I guarantee there will be many teams that did not fit within those expected ranges.

Perhaps she really means something like 25th percentile and 75th percentile. Or, more likely, this was a Monte Carlo simulation using independent draws which is not appropriate for a NFL season where there are single factors that can influence all of the remaining likelihoods upwards or downwards. Week 5 likelihoods are partially dependent on week 4 outcomes and any simulation that assumes independence completely misses the picture.

Latest posts