Dave Canales to QB coach

seahawks08

Reaction score
I don't know the impact a QB coach brings, I would think the OC would have a bigger influence in drawing up plays, positioning people in spaces and helping Russ out. The QB coach would just take that and keep throwing the concepts as reps for a QB to get through his progressions. For a QB like Russ, I think he has all the necessary acumen, he just needs some plays that would put him in a position to win, which is having a new OC would be my thought.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":284pi3ta said:
Too bad there wasn't somebody who has played NFL QB in the PNW environment, on crappy, rainy days, somebody who scrambled and kept plays alive with good success on an offense with mediocre talent. Someone like that would be PERFECT as Russell's QB Coach.

Russell has had occasional struggles throwing the ball on bad weather days. It would be nice if he had someone that could help him improve on that.

:34853_doh:

You mean the crappy, rainy days in the Kingdome? And the last thing Russ needs is help or advice on keeping plays alive.

NoChops

Reaction score
ivotuk":3pbyf0t7 said:
FlyHawksFly":3pbyf0t7 said:
I lot of whining about a a guy who hasn't been in the league for years. The last few years for Zorn in the NFL showed the game has passed him by. Just because he has a name you all recognize doesn't mean he would be a good QB in this day and age.

Nobody's asking him to be a QB. I want him as a QB coach.

Experience:

QB coach? Check

Offensive Coordinator? Check

Head Coach? Check.

Experience in the NFL? Check.

Dave Canales experience?

WR Coach.

I don't see how an NFL QB can look up to a WR Coach for advice.

Can you see how a player might look up to a Bill Walsh? Paul Brown? Vince Lombardy?

none of those guys even played pro ball.....

Megatron

Reaction score
Seymour":1d76f9iz said:
Chapow":1d76f9iz said:
ivotuk":1d76f9iz said:
Too bad there wasn't somebody who has played NFL QB in the PNW environment, on crappy, rainy days, somebody who scrambled and kept plays alive with good success on an offense with mediocre talent. Someone like that would be PERFECT as Russell's QB Coach.

Russell has had occasional struggles throwing the ball on bad weather days. It would be nice if he had someone that could help him improve on that.

Uuummmm... pretty sure Zorn never played a single NFL game outdoors in the PNW environment on crappy rainy days.

Zorn played in the Kingdome.

And practiced outdoors the other 357 days a year in Kirkland.

Only when the weather was good, if it turned bad they would go inside the inflatable bubble, you know the big white thing in this picture.
http://www.seahawks.com/news/2013/07/16/date-seahawks-open-first-training-camp-new-kirkland-facility

Nobody practices 357 days a year.

Seymour

Reaction score
Megatron":22p43zy2 said:
Seymour":22p43zy2 said:
Chapow":22p43zy2 said:
ivotuk":22p43zy2 said:

Uuummmm... pretty sure Zorn never played a single NFL game outdoors in the PNW environment on crappy rainy days.

Zorn played in the Kingdome.

And practiced outdoors the other 357 days a year in Kirkland.

Only when the weather was good, if it turned bad they would go inside the inflatable bubble, you know the big white thing in this picture.
http://www.seahawks.com/news/2013/07/16/date-seahawks-open-first-training-camp-new-kirkland-facility

Nobody practices 357 days a year.

Yes, admittedly an exaggeration. Point is they only play 8 games per year indoors in the Kingdome.. But...we are both wrong anyway. That was built in 1986, 2 years after Zorn left. They practiced in Cheney during all of Zorn's years here, so yes, he was well acclimated to playing in all weather conditions as the original post stated.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fans after the first incomplete pass: See, they should have hired Zorn! Pete doesn't know a thing about football!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
sutz":2jq36tmj said:
Coug_Hawk08":2jq36tmj said:
Not saying things will go badly, but our coaching hires sure have been low key/underwhelming.
It's how Pete seems to operate. With some exceptions, he doesn't normally go for well-known guys, and likes to hire from within.

Frankly, I think it's a reach back to our roots, get young guys in that are hungry to prove themselves. High risk, maybe, but could be high reward. Plus, I kind of like the "cross training" of a QB coach that understands what the WRs are doing.

Having said all that, Zorn would have been a cool add.
This is precisely how I felt about it too.
I don't think Wilson needs a whole lot of coaching with his Mechanics or the like, but it may be that Canales can offer up some insight to how best to optimize the strengths & of his receivers with timing routs etc.
I think Jim Zorn could have imparted some tips on how to read Defenses a little better though.