Dave Canales

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Have heard his name brought up a couple times for our vacancy already.

I like guys who do a lot with a little. And having Baker as your QB I think kind of defines that.

Thoughts?

Scout

Reaction score
The Panthers have inquired about him from what I am told.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I threw his name into the hat in another thread. I think hiring Canales would make some organizational sense. I just don't know which of the younger candidates are ready to be a HC

bsuhawk

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not sure why you would hire a guy with no head coaching experience when Jim Harbaugh, Mike Vrabel, and Dan Quinn are available.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not sure why you would hire a guy with no head coaching experience when Jim Harbaugh, Mike Vrabel, and Dan Quinn are available.
Psychological argument is that JS has been in Pete’s shadow so long he will want to be the senior partner in the relationship.

Much easier to do when grooming a young pup.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Psychological argument is that JS has been in Pete’s shadow so long he will want to be the senior partner in the relationship.

Much easier to do when grooming a young pup.
Hm...hopefully the hiring of a new head coach will be about what's best for the Hawks and not about JS wanting to be the man.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Canales has a lot of connections to Seattle, but that offense was not good.

Tampa passing yards - 3,812 // Seattle 3,910
Tampa rushing yards - 1,509 // Seattle 1,580

Offensive drives ending in scores:
(11) Seattle - 38.8%
(16) Tampa - 35.5%

Turnover %
(4) Seattle - 8.4%
(14) Tampa - 9.8%

Baker, in all respects, had a pretty good year. Nothing about that offensive experience tells me I should get excited.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Hm...hopefully the hiring of a new head coach will be about what's best for the Hawks and not about JS wanting to be the man.
No inherent conflict between the two and arguably a well defined power dynamic is a critical piece of the puzzle.

Isn‘t Vrabel out in TN in large part due to head butting with the FO?

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Just in our division, McVay and Shanny provide ample evidence that hiring young first-time HCs is a valid path to success.
Sure, hiring a first-time head coach can work out. But in my opinion, the odds of having a successful hire are better with someone who has already had success as a head coach.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Sure, hiring a first-time head coach can work out. But in my opinion, the odds of having a successful hire are better with someone who has already had success as a head coach.
Yes, but also realize that there is great potential here too. McVay, Shannahan, LeFleur, Mike McDaniel and Zack Taylor all were unknowns that end up competing on a regular basis in the playoffs, some even making the Super Bowl.

Sometimes it really pays to go for the hotshot coordinator if they show an aptitude for management.

renofox

Reaction score
I know you're right that it usually raises the floor. I'm not sure about what's best if you're looking for a high ceiling.

Either way, it's like a .25-.40 chance that you'll get a good coach on the 1st try. I tend to favor the boom or bust approach. It's easier to move on to the next try from a young bust than an old mediocrity.

When you do hit, the guy will be young and prime longer than the older guy. I'd like to see PC be the first in a series of long-term successful coaches. A few 1-3 year Moras in between is fine.

DangerousDoug

Reaction score
Canales is a solid guy and I believe will be a great head coach someday. I think where the Seahawks are at, we need to bring in one of the more experienced candidates.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
No inherent conflict between the two and arguably a well defined power dynamic is a critical piece of the puzzle.

Isn‘t Vrabel out in TN in large part due to head butting with the FO?
Yes, I would agree with this. In fact, to me, the most interesting candidate is Jim Harbaugh. He's been successful everywhere he's been and I imagine the opportunity to stick it to San Fran at least twice a year would be appealing to him. However, it doesn't sound like he's the easiest person to get along with. So the question is can Harbaugh and JS develop a positive working relationship?

James in PA

Reaction score
Has been impressive in Tampa this year and they have been talking a lot about him on tonight's broadcast. Of course, that's against a horrible Eagles D. Still, I wonder if this former Hawks assistant gets serious consideration.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Let me paint a picture for you.

Pete Carroll brings Canales with him to Seattle in 2010. Canales, a WR/DB as a player, coaches the WRs until 2017. Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, Sidney Rice, BMW's resurgent 2010... lot of good receivers in his time coaching them. Moves to QB coach in 2018/2019, which just happen to be two of Russell's most efficient years in his career and make him the highest paid player in the world. Moves to passing game coordinator just in time for Let Russ Cook. Moves back to focus solely on QB in 2022, and I don't have to tell you what Geno does in 2022.

Gets his first OC role under a defensive head coach, takes on playcalling duties. What does he do?

Oh, you know, just revives Baker Mayfield from the brink of career death after Baker shits it up elsewhere, including in LA under McVay.

It's Canales. You've got a guy who can maximize your bargain quarterback, develop a rookie, and has proven to be an adept playcaller. You've got a guy who has been through it all here, and proved he can do amazing away from here too. You've got a guy who'll likely mesh with Schneider.

I know they're not going to do it, but damn it, it really feels like they should.

renofox

Reaction score
Let me paint a picture for you.

Pete Carroll brings Canales with him to Seattle in 2010. Canales, a WR/DB as a player, coaches the WRs until 2017. Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, Sidney Rice, BMW's resurgent 2010... lot of good receivers in his time coaching them. Moves to QB coach in 2018/2019, which just happen to be two of Russell's most efficient years in his career and make him the highest paid player in the world. Moves to passing game coordinator just in time for Let Russ Cook. Moves back to focus solely on QB in 2022, and I don't have to tell you what Geno does in 2022.

Gets his first OC role under a defensive head coach, takes on playcalling duties. What does he do?

Oh, you know, just revives Baker Mayfield from the brink of career death after Baker shits it up elsewhere, including in LA under McVay.

It's Canales. You've got a guy who can maximize your bargain quarterback, develop a rookie, and has proven to be an adept playcaller. You've got a guy who has been through it all here, and proved he can do amazing away from here too. You've got a guy who'll likely mesh with Schneider.

I know they're not going to do it, but damn it, it really feels like they should.
Baker is a UFA. Think he'd come along for 10M? He only made 6M last year, his 1st FA year. Swap Baker for Geno and save 13M or so - i could go for that.

James in PA

Reaction score
I wanna see how the Tampa O does next week against a better defense before getting too high on Canales. I hope he doesn't "Quinn" it.

Latest posts