Defense

idahohawksfan

Reaction score
While watching the Chargers game I kept thinking something just looked...off. I chalk it up to "just one of those games" and figured maybe the heat was affecting them or maybe something else but something didn't feel right the whole game. But then again I had been telling my neighbor before the game that it felt like a "trap" game. So maybe that was it who knows, but what I think I know is that whatever it was will get fixed very soon and this week at home will be the medicine this team needs.

hawk45

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2o1x2zmo said:
Kearly with all due respect TE's were not a problem for this defense the last two seasons in fact we have shut down the best in the buisness. Rivers made some great throws and Gates made some great catches but the bulk of them came when we rushed 4 or less. Rivers had too much time to scan the field and old man gates had too much time to get down field. Rivers was 22 of 25 for 220 yards when we only rushed 4. We did not get pressure with four and we did not adjust. If we make this mistake against Manning he will shred us too.

Yes if the d isn't generating pressure with 4 the TE can be sent out on routes without having to chip or slow down. In 2012 our secondary was great at stopping outside Wrs but was killed with TEs and I believe the increases pressure in 2013 really helped us shut those down.

I think our safeties and LBs can do much better though in regular temps. They'll have to, since if we fail to generate pressure with 4 there is no good option there with manning. You start blitzing guys and he will eat that up. So you're better off keeping it in front of you, punishing over the middle, and limiting to 3 as a strategy.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
It seemed to me the Seahawks defense tried to show a little something different to San Diego. More blitzes and less jamming of the receivers and it back fired. Get back to what you do and do it.

Mick063

Reaction score
The defense smothered Green Bay.

Each defensive player received three IV's against San Diego. Unless you live and work there, your body is "shocked" from the atypical environment.

Check out OSHA definitions for acclimatization to hot working conditions. It takes two weeks of sustained exposure (time weighted average over eight hour working day) for the body to adjust. Until that acclimatization adjustment is achieved, a defined work/rest regimen is required. Further, wet bulb measurements, core body temperature measurements, and pulse rate monitoring are recommended because other factors (age, weight, general health) are variable.

The Seahawk defense did not meet the OSHA definition of acclimatization.

https://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/otm_i ... iii_4.html

Some snippets from the link:

*However, even the type of clothing worn must be considered.

*The human body can adapt to heat exposure to some extent. This physiological adaptation is called acclimatization. After a period of acclimatization, the same activity will produce fewer cardiovascular demands. The worker will sweat more efficiently (causing better evaporative cooling), and thus will more easily be able to maintain normal body temperatures.

*Every worker who works in extraordinary conditions that increase the risk of heat stress should be personally monitored. These conditions include wearing semipermeable or impermeable clothing when the temperature exceeds 21°C (69.8°F), working at extreme metabolic loads (greater than 500 kcal/hour), etc.