Deflategate basically over after today's press conf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foghawk

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1zodrcdh said:
I think the media day for the Patriots is going to be hilarious. All they've done is fuel the fire by adding increasingly complicated information.

Yep, the PC by Bill the Scientist didn't help them with the media. Just gave them more to talk about.

gargantual

Reaction score
"Embrace the Hate - The five stages of Patriots fans’ Ballghazi grief."
http://www.slate.com/articles/sport...i_the_five_stages_of_patriots_fans_grief.html

I googled "Patriots Fumble Rate" and that came up. Sounds just like all the Patsies frantically swamping NFL fan-sites through out the inter-webz. They're going to have to work it all the way through, but true healing won't occur until acceptance happens.

Here's another good one: "Dumb Luck - The New England Patriots’ prevention of fumbles is nearly impossible." http://www.slate.com/articles/sport...s_lose_an_insanely_low_number_of_fumbles.html

gargantual

Reaction score
I was initially concerned that this was all going to be suppressed by the NFL, since you know they're just HATING all this negative publicity (sorry Patsies, the NFL loves the Patriots to death....unquestionably they do!)

Seeing these stats hitting the mainstream, rather than just football blogs and fan sites like ours, I really don't think this is quietly going away. They'll still probably only get a mild hand-slap for compromising the integrity of the game for the last 8 odd years.

OP
OP

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
hawknation2015":13v2xi33 said:
furi0usbee":13v2xi33 said:
The "process" the Patriots use to prepare their game balls, and which lasts right up until the time they hand them over to NFL officials actually RAISES the PSI in the ball by approximately ONE pound. This is important.

It's also not physically possible . . . unless part of that process involves heating the air in the balls.

hawksnation, I'm not sure why you're so hung up on this. I think the process involves steel brushes, not rubbing by hand. Eli Manning had a big article about doing the same thing, this is what the Peyton Manning rule allows, it's legal.

Belichick was reporting on testing that his people just did 2 days ago, and they observed on multiple balls that after this treatment the psi went up by 1. I'll bet anything that Kraft arranged for some highly respected lab or university to help perform these tests. It happened, it's real, stop being a birther.

As far as your demand that pats1 find some scientific reference to such an experiment, where on earth would you suggest he look for that? This is the first time this specific experiment has been done, for sure.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
The one thing that does bother me is I haven't heard any media member even locally, talking about the fumbles and that to me is really what this is about. If deflating the balls just simply made it easier for Tom to throw I wouldn't care but that is not where they are getting their advantage not to mention the benefit of easier passing is an unquantifiable issue. The fumbles on the other hand are not or at least not completely.

I also think this is why so many around the country are willing to believe or at least forgive BB. They don't see it as a real problem or advantage. Makes you wonder if the media really is that ignorant or are they not talking about the fumbles for a reason. But what reason?

Has anyone else heard the fumbles discussed at all on the radio or TV? I have heard absolutely zero.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":v3b7zcw7 said:
hawknation2015":v3b7zcw7 said:
furi0usbee":v3b7zcw7 said:
The "process" the Patriots use to prepare their game balls, and which lasts right up until the time they hand them over to NFL officials actually RAISES the PSI in the ball by approximately ONE pound. This is important.

It's also not physically possible . . . unless part of that process involves heating the air in the balls.

hawksnation, I'm not sure why you're so hung up on this. I think the process involves steel brushes, not rubbing by hand. Eli Manning had a big article about doing the same thing, this is what the Peyton Manning rule allows, it's legal.

Belichick was reporting on testing that his people just did 2 days ago, and they observed on multiple balls that after this treatment the psi went up by 1. I'll bet anything that Kraft arranged for some highly respected lab or university to help perform these tests. It happened, it's real, stop being a birther.

As far as your demand that pats1 find some scientific reference to such an experiment, where on earth would you suggest he look for that? This is the first time this specific experiment has been done, for sure.

Welcome to anger stage.

OP
OP

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
gargantual":1b43nrzy said:
I was initially concerned that this was all going to be suppressed by the NFL, since you know they're just HATING all this negative publicity (sorry Patsies, the NFL loves the Patriots to death....unquestionably they do!)

Seeing these stats hitting the mainstream, rather than just football blogs and fan sites like ours, I really don't think this is quietly going away. They'll still probably only get a mild hand-slap for compromising the integrity of the game for the last 8 odd years.

Except that they haven't. There will be zero penalty or sanction.

Claiming that the NFL loves the Patriots is so hilarious it makes me wince. Nobody has suffered more than NE at the hands of these idiots. They're like a drunk blind asylum patient with a sledgehammer in a roomful of people. They have no sense of how to handle discipline on any type of matter.

gargantual

Reaction score
RichNhansom":iaijmqft said:
The one thing that does bother me is I haven't heard any media member even locally, talking about the fumbles and that to me is really what this is about. If deflating the balls just simply made it easier for Tom to throw I wouldn't care but that is not where they are getting their advantage not to mention the benefit of easier passing is an unquantifiable issue. The fumbles on the other hand are not or at least not completely.

I also think this is why so many around the country are willing to believe or at least forgive BB. They don't see it as a real problem or advantage. Makes you wonder if the media really is that ignorant or are they not talking about the fumbles for a reason. But what reason?

Has anyone else heard the fumbles discussed at all on the radio or TV? I have heard absolutely zero.

This is why I brought up the stats starting to show up in mainstream news articles (albeit on the internet). I think this suggests that awareness is starting to spread, and I bet by tomorrow we'll start seeing this showing up on Danny, Dave and Moore. I'd also bet that Clayton starts bringing this up nationally as well.

OP
OP

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
hawknation2015":112rc0t6 said:
50yrpatsfan":112rc0t6 said:
hawknation2015":112rc0t6 said:
furi0usbee":112rc0t6 said:

Welcome to anger stage.

You're the one with the obvious ax to grind. Don't really get it. This fiasco is over, there will be no sanctions against against the Pats. NE was damaged for doing absolutely nothing wrong. There's not a shred of evidence they did anything but follow all rules.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":3ewt211g said:
gargantual":3ewt211g said:

Claiming that the NFL loves the Patriots is so hilarious it makes me wince. Nobody has suffered more than NE at the hands of these idiots. They're like a drunk blind asylum patient with a sledgehammer in a roomful of people. They have no sense of how to handle discipline on any type of matter.

This is coming from someone who didn't know that videotaping an opponent's sideline was expressly prohibited under the rules.

Let it sink into your head. Your game balls were not in compliance, so your team absolutely will face some kind of penalty -- the question is how severe, and that will depend on what additional evidence they have gathered.

gargantual

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":oy3j9cfj said:
gargantual":oy3j9cfj said:

I think you're confusing the NFL with the news media. They're the ones raking the Patriots over the coals. The NFL just reacts to what happens.

It's kind of like when pundits talk about always fighting the last war. The NFL is always a step behind everything.

Laloosh

Reaction score
furi0usbee":gyek14hh said:
And YES, my logic is based on what Belichick SAID. But this is because the NFL isn't saying ANYTHING!!!!! I can only argue what is on the record. Belichick is on the record now, and the NFL isn't, except via leaks. I'm not judging what he says yet because I have nothing to compare it to by way of NFL information. Right now, we must all assume what he says is true, until it's refuted or proved wrong. Just saying, "he's lying, here is what really happened," doesn't change the fact that he said something and other party has yet to respond. When we have both sides, we can then make an informed decision.
Rather than hang on his every word and rely on its "truthiness", perhaps you could acknowledge the discrepancies in Tom's comments (balls were perfect when I got to the facility and picked them... wouldn't want anyone touching them after that) and Belichick's explanation (prep happens right up until the moment the balls go to the refs).

It's compounded by Brady saying 12.5 is perfect for him but he can't tell the difference between 12.5 and 10.5?

So what makes more sense? Bill claims to know nothing on one day but later comes out and claims to have solved the riddle and the answer is that despite everything Tom said, they mess with the balls right up to testing time.

Now you want me to believe that the refs let air out because Brady likes them at 12.5 and that nobody on the pats side (particularly the QB or the equipment guys that spend hours prepping the balls) ever noticed (in any game) that this process was taking the balls below Tom's perfect ball, which is at 12.5?

GTFO lol

RichNhansom

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":3hyarx28 said:
hawknation2015":3hyarx28 said:
furi0usbee":3hyarx28 said:

I can tell you why I'm hung up on it. It sounds unrealistic. Not only are they suggesting they are manipulating the balls to achieve a higher temperature but they are supposedly doing it to at least 11 balls simultaneously and then delivering them with the expectation that the officials are standing by ready to immediately perform their test.

How many people do you think they have preparing these balls? Keeping in mind they are all prepared exactly how Tom likes them. Do you think they put together a crew of people that this is their sole responsibility? Or is it just one guy?

Think about what it would take to get all 11/12 balls to not only drop a full lb psi but to synchronize it. Those balls aren't going to stay heated for long.

It's fishy. We already know from BB's statement that they either underinflated and increased temp or asked the officials to drop and artificial temp knowing it would go lower so there is no question something smells fishy. The real question now is how much fish are we talking about?

But you know this and even though you want to imagine this is all done and everyone will move on, you know that their is an investigation for a reason and you know there is a strong possibility that something goes completely wrong for your FO and team.

Foghawk

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":zydolygs said:
This fiasco is over, there will be no sanctions against against the Pats. NE was damaged for doing absolutely nothing wrong. There's not a shred of evidence they did anything but follow all rules.

Can you provide a link to the NFL's final report on this matter please.

Thank you

gargantual

Reaction score
"This fiasco is over." Yeah, I know that Patsies want this to just go away. But just 'cause BB said so doesn't make it true.

And hey, I have no dog in this fight. I've always admired and liked the Patriots and their fans. I just want to see some actual justice come out of this. Really doubtful that any fines that equal the magnitude of this will happen. Skewing the results of games since 2007 is damned serious stuff! I always wanted the Hawks to be like the Pats, but not at the expense of our integrity. At least Browns fans can hold their heads high knowing they're not winning with underhanded skullduggery (especially the not winning part :) ).

hawknation2015

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":2lfo4ujh said:
You're the one with the obvious ax to grind. Don't really get it. This fiasco is over, there will be no sanctions against against the Pats. NE was damaged for doing absolutely nothing wrong. There's not a shred of evidence they did anything but follow all rules.

Back to denial . . . the Patriots absolutely 100% will be punished for playing with non-compliance game balls. What we don't know is how severely they will be punished. The NFL has committed serious resources to uncovering more incriminating evidence from this incident. And if they do, you can expect suspensions for both Belichick and Brady, in addition to the anticipated forfeiture of draft picks and a hefty fine.

Even if no new evidence is discovered and we accept everything Belichick has said as gospel, that no one knew their prepping methods would temporarily increase the air pressure in their footballs during inspection, they should have known.

They have gotten away with this probably over a hundred time since the 2007 rule change. In all that time, they should have measured its affects on PSI. And given his stated preference for deflated balls, Brady should have been able to detect the difference. Their negligence is enough to punish them (beyond the normal fine) for failing in their "responsibility" under the rules to maintain playable game balls and thereby jeopardizing the integrity of the game by giving their QB -- and RBs -- an unfair advantage.

daveca5150

Reaction score
They're like a drunk blind asylum patient with a sledgehammer in a roomful of people. They have no sense of how to handle discipline on any type of matter.

Finally some common ground :lol:

I'll admit that I haven't made up my mind.

I thought BBs first presser was 50/50, maybe lying, maybe not. Then TBs sounded like total BS. The fumble stats sold me. Pats have been cheating for a long time.

Then BBs second presser made me think again, why would he go to all that trouble if he were guilty? Wouldn't he just shut up and wait for the league to come out with the findings? He gave a lot of details that could easily be proven wrong...

I love Bill Nye, but his opinion of this means nothing IMHO.

Then the study by the HeadSmart lab made me think that this might be over, or at least way over blown.

However, the HeadSmart lab used NEW balls. Never before inflated or broken in. Doesn't this mean that they would have more expansion and stretching, like putting on a new guitar string or a new leather boot that has too stretch to your foot?

That would explain larger than normal PSI drops vs the same experiment on balls that have been broken in, as the Pats claim they do extensively. The lab was literally inflating them for the first time. Plus they rounded locker room temp up and the outside temp down to the tune of 12 degrees more difference between the two.

Why would the lab go to the trouble of running and posting results on an experiment that doesn't even account for this simple variable?

At this point, I'm not sure. I've always been this way, can see both sides of almost any argument.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":2s542iuv said:
hawknation2015":2s542iuv said:
50yrpatsfan":2s542iuv said:
[/quote]

Your stuttering,

Seriously though you should see yourself from someone else's eyes. Everyone is against you, even us who have no reason to be. The NFL (and maybe the rest of the world) is out to get you guys. Why would they be? Other teams are conspiring against you and the Colts probably didn't even game plan because they were so focused on how to screw over the evil empire.

Sir you are coming off as delusional and little bit schizophrenic.

Status
Not open for further replies.