Deflategate basically over after today's press conf

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
hawknation2015":30z486wn said:
This is all related to the issue of temperature and it would have affected all of the balls. . . . again, can you point to one scientist who believes you can INCREASE the PSI of a football by rubbing it?

Guess not.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1grcbms8 said:
pats(t)roll":1grcbms8 said:
Also, you keeping pointing to the ideal gas law. That provides only theoretical calculations. FFS I literally remember using the ideal gas law in chem lab to find the theoretical value, and then running the experiment to find the actual value and recording the difference. There's a significant difference in the two even in a laboratory setting not to mention the football world where there are far more variables.

PV=nRT is virtually irrelevant in this case.

You know why you were given that assignment in a Chem 1 lab, right? It was to show you how very sloppy your technique is, and what a significant affect it can have on the outcome of an experiment. Where you may come to wrong conclusions because your sloppy technique causes your outcome to differ from what actually happened, so you ascribe the difference to some cockamamie hypothesis which doesn't fit the science. The purpose of that lab is to show you your weakness in the lab, and to reinforce the fact that the ideal gas law is called a 'law' because it has been proven over the years to be an exact representation of the physical world in exact precision. And never irrelevant. That's just stupid and ignorant. Or was yours run in high school, where the actual purpose is to give you a basic introduction to measurement techniques?

And for some small amount of cred here, I'm a Nuclear Engineer with several degrees (and a FAR better understanding of physics that you, apparently!). :roll:

Hey pats(t)roll, have you ever solved a first order differential equation?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
In addition to his claim that they increased the PSI of their footballs by rubbing them, here is another Belichick lie:

“We can’t speak specifically to what happened because we have no way of touching the footballs other than once the officials have them we don’t touch them except for when we play with them in the game.” That’s just not accurate; ball attendants employed by the Patriots have possession of the 12 game balls and the 12 backup balls until they’re used during the game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... questions/

pats(t)roll

Reaction score
pats(t)roll":21ff1d3v said:
hawknation2015":21ff1d3v said:
pats(t)roll":21ff1d3v said:
From Headsmart Labs in Pittsburgh

“We took 12 brand new authentic NFL footballs and exposed them to the different elements they would
have experienced throughout the game.” said Thomas Healy, founder of HeadSmart Labs. “Out of the
twelve footballs we tested, we found that on average, footballs dropped 1.8 PSI when being exposed to
dropping temperatures and wet conditions.”
During testing, twelve brand new footballs were inflated to 12.5 PSI in a 75 degree Fahrenheit room.
This was to imitate the indoor conditions where the referees would have tested the footballs 2 hours
and 15 minutes before kickoff. The footballs were then moved to a 50 degree Fahrenheit environment
to simulate the temperatures that were experienced throughout the game. In addition, the footballs
were dampened to replicate the rainy conditions.
HeadSmart Labs found that on average the footballs dropped 1.1 PSI from the 25 degree temperature
change alone. The Lab also found that when the leather was wet, the ball dropped an additional 0.7
PSI. In combination, it was found that on average the footballs lost 1.8 PSI with a max of 1.95 PSI from
exposure to game day elements.

This is all related to the issue of temperature and it would have affected all of the balls. . . . again, can you point to one scientist who believes you can INCREASE the PSI of a football by rubbing it?

This is what Belichick claims in his press conference, i.e. their prepping of the football increased the football's PSI by one.

Can you point me to one scientist who has performed multiple studies in which he took authentic NFL footballs, inflated them to 12.5 psi, applied a typical NFL team's preparation methods to it, then measured the psi, and finally concluded that it is entirely impossible for those methods to have an effect on the air pressure of the footballs?

Guess not...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
TBtoRG":3l44l0ca said:
TBtoRG":3l44l0ca said:
PFT: 10 of the 11 deflated balls were deflated "closer" to 1 PSI than 2

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ca ... umor-mill/

Ooops!

C'mon Seasqueaks fans. No thoughts on this?

richard-sherman-.gif

hawknation2015

Reaction score
pats(t)roll":1oa4z0uv said:
hawknation2015":1oa4z0uv said:

“We took 12 brand new authentic NFL footballs and exposed them to the different elements they would
have experienced throughout the game.” said Thomas Healy, founder of HeadSmart Labs. “Out of the
twelve footballs we tested, we found that on average, footballs dropped 1.8 PSI when being exposed to
During testing, twelve brand new footballs were inflated to 12.5 PSI in a 75 degree Fahrenheit room.
This was to imitate the indoor conditions where the referees would have tested the footballs 2 hours
and 15 minutes before kickoff. The footballs were then moved to a 50 degree Fahrenheit environment
to simulate the temperatures that were experienced throughout the game. In addition, the footballs
HeadSmart Labs found that on average the footballs dropped 1.1 PSI from the 25 degree temperature
change alone. The Lab also found that when the leather was wet, the ball dropped an additional 0.7
PSI. In combination, it was found that on average the footballs lost 1.8 PSI with a max of 1.95 PSI from

This is what Belichick claims in his press conference, i.e. their prepping of the football increased the football's PSI by one.

Can you point me to one scientist who has performed multiple studies in which he took authentic NFL footballs, inflated them to 12.5 psi, applied a typical NFL team's preparation methods to it, then measured the psi, and finally concluded that it is entirely impossible for those methods to have an effect on the air pressure of the footballs?

Guess not...

I rebuff your attempt to change the subject. I am speaking directly to Belichick's claim that they raised the air pressure in all of their footballs by a factor of one solely by rubbing them. I don't believe this claim to be physically possible and am curious to see whether you know of a scientist who believes this to be physically possible.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2qegzb5q said:
TBtoRG":2qegzb5q said:
TBtoRG":2qegzb5q said:

Ooops!

I don't see the rumor listed there. Do you have a direct link? I would be interested to read it.

It's nothing substantial.. just Florio mentioning it briefly while going on a long rant how the NFL needs to address this in a hurry because it's unfair to the Patriots and blah blah blah.

Basically Florio being Florio. The same guy that tried to pass off "a league source says the Patriots will slaughter the Seahawks" as news :lol:

TBtoRG

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2qq9ja70 said:
TBtoRG":2qq9ja70 said:
TBtoRG":2qq9ja70 said:

Ooops!

I don't see the rumor listed there. Do you have a direct link? I would be interested to read it.

It's there. Scroll down.

"But what has the NFL really found? As one league source has explained it to PFT, the football intercepted by Colts linebacker D’Qwell Jackson was roughly two pounds under the 12.5 PSI minimum. The other 10 balls that reportedly were two pounds under may have been, as the source explained it, closer to one pound below 12.5 PSI."

pats(t)roll

Reaction score
chris98251":26ehmb2k said:
pats(t)roll":26ehmb2k said:

I guess this phenomenon only happens to Patriots balls and not Colts or anyone else then.

Maybe the Colt's balls (arriving on a bus and being brought in from outside) were colder than the pats.

Maybe Luck prefers more inflated balls like Rogers and their balls were slightly over inflated to start with
(several ball boys/ equipment managers have stated that refs most often use the "squeeze test" pregame).

There's plenty of variables here.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
TBtoRG":eqdnfxfp said:
hawknation2015":eqdnfxfp said:

Ooops!

It's there. Scroll down.

"But what has the NFL really found? As one league source has explained it to PFT, the football intercepted by Colts linebacker D’Qwell Jackson was roughly two pounds under the 12.5 PSI minimum. The other 10 balls that reportedly were two pounds under may have been, as the source explained it, closer to one pound below 12.5 PSI."

If the source has direct knowledge of this, why would the source say "may have been" instead of saying the balls were closer to 11.5 PSI? When a rumor is phrased in this way, it sounds like pure conjecture.

vonstout

Reaction score
pats(t)roll":d5lrfa5i said:
hawknation2015":d5lrfa5i said:

Guess not...

Read the Bill Nye article in the link below. It refers to the Lab test in Pitt and a lot of questions regarding their set-up. I won't disagree that there are other factors that could influence the volume of the ball, but they took some liberties of rounding the room temp up and the game temp down to get a bigger pressure drop.

A

Anonymous

TBtoRG":ks5kxm7c said:
Be ready Seattle. You're going to be humiliated for the first time in 2 years. Game won't even be close.

You know who else said this same thing to us, but last year? Donkeys fans. And we all saw how that worked out for them.

TBtoRG

Reaction score
hawknation2015":wd73ntx8 said:
If the source has direct knowledge of this, why would the source say "may have been" instead of saying the balls were closer to 11.5 PSI? When a rumor is phrased in this way, it sounds like pure conjecture.

Pure conjecture is what all of this has been based on. Yet you've had no problem believing claims that have put NE in a negative light.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
TBtoRG":1l7jpwr1 said:
Good one! You believe every other unsubstantiated claim on the matter, but not this one.

Peter King has this story as well, btw.

Oh and the Pats will indeed slaughter Seattle.

@SI_PeterKing
RT @epaulson89: Anything about Florio's report that 10 of 11 balls were close to 1psi below than the 2psi? … Would be great news for Pats.

Yeah.. definitely looks like he's all over this. :lol:

Care to reveal how the Patriots will "slaughter" Seattle? Or do you just enjoy talking out of your ass at all times.

TBtoRG

Reaction score
Largefarva":3olwrycp said:
TBtoRG":3olwrycp said:
Be ready Seattle. You're going to be humiliated for the first time in 2 years. Game won't even be close.

You know who else said this same thing to us, but last year? Donkeys fans. And we all saw how that worked out for them.

Why would we care about Denver?

We destroyed them this year while you barely beat them in OT.

pats(t)roll

Reaction score
** I rebuff your attempt to change the subject. I am speaking directly to Belichick's claim that they raised the air pressure in all of their footballs by a factor of one solely by rubbing them. I don't believe this claim to be physically possible and am curious to see whether you know of a scientist who believes this to be physically possible. **

It's not "solely by rubbing them". Belichick said that, in their experiments, the entire pregame process the balls go through of being broken in and brought to the correct feel caused an increase in psi. So I am waiting for someone else to run similar experiments and refute this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts