Detroit signed Jason Jones

drdevin

Reaction score
Watching Jones rush up the middle last year was a little odd. At the end of the play he'd be pushed so far out of the pocket that it looked like he actually started out as an edge rusher. I didn't see the necessary strength in nhis push to force the QB out of the middle. I think we can do better with a guy who also might be more durable.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Seaswab":2ksr51h6 said:
Carroll seems to think Dan Quinn is just going to come in and solve everything
You're sooo right... :sarcasm_off:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
This front office has proved it will find solutions .. sucks we couldn't keep him but I am sure PC/JS prepared for his departure

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
chawx":zlowm0iu said:
The dude just wanted more money over being in a winning environment on a winning team. To each their own.

We don't need guys like that on this team anyway.

Did we even offer this guy a contract? Seemed to me like last year this guy joined the team on a 1 year deal bc of what we were building here last year.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2qgr7682 said:
I really expect a drop off on our defense. I guess the FO doesn't see the need to pursue it. While I love the Havin addition, will it make enough difference for our future drop off on defense?

where's the dropoff? Not having Jason Jones?

Free Agency isnt even a day old and there are like 6 or 7 names out there that can do what Jones does at a reasonable cost and without the injury history.

Little premature. I dont think anyone here expected Jones to return (its why he was on a 1 year deal to begin with)

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
There must be some guys that can get push from the interior out there in FA, but I'm not sure who else there is.

I have to admit that I am really a bit worried about where we'll go to get guys that can help out our ends. DTs don't usually come in and dominate as rookies unless they are rare talents like Ndamukong Suh.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
chawx":24tm5hns said:
The dude just wanted more money over being in a winning environment on a winning team. To each their own.

You mean guys like Percy Harvin?

We'll be fine without Jason Jones. He is replaceable. With his injury history he's probably concerned with making some bucks while he can. Average career isn't that long in the NFL.

NYCoug

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":2zetasyt said:
I think our FO and coaches trust Schruggs and Jaye Howard more than us fans.

This right here. Dan Quinn was able to get the most out of Jaye Howard and even recommended that the Hawks pick him last season. They did. In the 4th round. That's a fairly significant investment and shows that they have high hopes for him. He sort of "redshirted" this past season but now he's back with Quinn and I fully expect him to be a solid contributor as a pass rusher inside.

Scruggs on the other hand has the talent and potential to fill the Jason Jones role from within the roster. He can play every position on the line except for LEO probably and he showed some skills and athleticism last year. Along with showing that he's a fan of Gangnam Style.

I still think they'll add a body or two, maybe more in FA/Draft but I think you're right. They are confident with what they have. Seems to be the same at WLB too.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":20zpqqi0 said:
I really expect a drop off on our defense. I guess the FO doesn't see the need to pursue it. While I love the Havin addition, will it make enough difference for our future drop off on defense?
Ummm...other than Jones, who have we lost?

Where's the drop off??

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I don't think Seattle wanted him back very badly. He made $4.5 last year and I think they figure they can fill it with someone without the health issues. He has missed significant time with both Seattle and Tennessee.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
chawx":3c9uq1mz said:

We signed him last year on a 'show me' contract. It was specifically designed to give Jason the ability to showcase his ability for a bigger payday in 2013.

He was a guy who needed to reestablish his name. We needed a guy who was hungry and wanted to play for a cheap contract.

We both got what we wanted. Seattle, whether it's coaches or players, has established a strong track record of enabling people to make their mark and move on to better things. We are a pez dispenser of opportunity here.

We are entirely about getting 'the next Jason Jones'. We just need to get the next guy to seize upon opportunity so they can move on too.

Good for Jason Jones. He took a risk playing for less to prove himself. We gave him that opportunity and benefited from his cheap production. Time to pass that mantle on to the next hungry vet.

Couple of guys who could use a reboot on their careers:

Sedrick Ellis
Glenn Dorsey

There are others of course. These guys certainly would love to establish their worth again, as their second contracts are going to be a shadow of their rookie deals at this point.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":29ncsyrr said:
Seahwkgal":29ncsyrr said:

Where's the drop off??

We've lost Branch too unless we resign him. So we are minus one starter and minus our primary rotational guy (and best pass rusher) at DT. Depth at that position is not good right now.

brettb3

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":qj8e41sq said:
Hawkfan77":qj8e41sq said:
Seahwkgal":qj8e41sq said:

Where's the drop off??

We've lost Branch too unless we resign him. So we are minus one starter and minus our primary rotational guy (and best pass rusher) at DT. Depth at that position is not good right now.
And both those guys are expendable. If Jones was our best interior pass rusher, it shouldn't be too hard to upgrade there.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
brettb3":31zawhco said:
And both those guys are expendable. If Jones was our best interior pass rusher, it shouldn't be too hard to upgrade there.

The market at DT is not that good, actually. After Bryant went off the board, Jones and Branch represented two of the best three D-Linemen left.

You might make the argument that there are guys in the second- and third-round that are better right now than Jones and Branch, but I would have to be convinced.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Uncle Si":19yb0xyv said:
Seahwkgal":19yb0xyv said:

where's the dropoff? Not having Jason Jones?

Free Agency isnt even a day old and there are like 6 or 7 names out there that can do what Jones does at a reasonable cost and without the injury history.

Little premature. I dont think anyone here expected Jones to return (its why he was on a 1 year deal to begin with)
Last year, it was quite apparent that we lacked a push up the middle for our DEs(LEOs). The inconsistent production was due to this. Not only do we lose a good push(granted, Jones is oft injured)but we need to replace Clemmons! I just don't see him coming back. DL is a huge need.

brettb3

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":8torbruh said:
brettb3":8torbruh said:

The market at DT is not that good, actually. After Bryant went off the board, Jones and Branch represented two of the best three D-Linemen left.

You might make the argument that there are guys in the second- and third-round that are better right now than Jones and Branch, but I would have to be convinced.
Meh, not sure I agree. I think Michael Bennett and Richard Seymour are both better. And if the DT market is that weak, I think there are upgrades to be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
brettb3":261w17ke said:
Smelly McUgly":261w17ke said:
brettb3":261w17ke said:

Meh, not sure I agree. I think Michael Bennett and Richard Seymour are both better. And if the DT market is that weak, I think there are upgrades to be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Bennett is a DE.

Seymour is certainly a possibility, though his advanced age could herald a drop-off in play.

There well could be upgrades in the second and third rounds of the draft, but again, I would need to be convinced. Usually guys in those rounds don't come in and make an immediate impact at DT the way Jason Jones did in his first four games as a Seahawk.

EDIT: And I see where I was lazy with my phrasing. That first post should say "Jones and Branch represented two of the three best D-TACKLES left," not "D-Linemen." No wonder you mentioned Bennett in your response.