Did cable have complete control on picking the O line?

sdog1981

Reaction score
Did anyone read the article? They made zero connections to Tom Cable and his authority to draft or not draft players. This was a bait and switch headline and some of you fell for it. Go look at who the Raiders just drafted. They drafted Cable "project" offensive linemen.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Pete is a big time Defense guru, (especially the Secondary), he looked to Cable's supposed expertise to build him an Offensive line that would play to Pete's "Ball/Clock Control", first & foremost,he wanted to feature the Run Game to wear down the opposing Defenses, and with Marshawn Lynch & a scrambling Russell Wilson, Cables weakness in Coaching was disguised........until three Seasons ago, (when the bandaid was ripped off) and Russell Wilson was left to pick up the slack all by his lonesome.
"Run around in the middle of the road and yer gonna get yer ass rund over".
Cable was EXPOSED as a pretender, and so was Darryl Bevell.
In the end though, as Head Coach, Pete is responsible for Uncle Fester's failings.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
chrispy":34ti2f7e said:
...asking a question that is irrelevant...

Several times our failed OLs ended up on other teams as competent. Most FA OLs that came here were worse. The players were turned into failures. That's coaching and system, not recruiting and drafting.

Agreed.
And, according to some folks, Cable is already screwing up the Raiders' line.....

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I got this piece from Mike Solari's profile on the Seahawks.com site -

"In Solari’s 19 seasons serving as an NFL team’s primary offensive line coach, his players combined for 25 Pro Bowl appearances and at least one of his players was selected to the Pro Bowl in 15 of those seasons."

That is what has me pumped and jacked about the future of the Seahawk OL. How many players under Cable tutelage developed into pro-bowlers?

sdog1981

Reaction score
hawkfan68":glr8onza said:
I got this piece from Mike Solari's profile on the Seahawks.com site -

"In Solari’s 19 seasons serving as an NFL team’s primary offensive line coach, his players combined for 25 Pro Bowl appearances and at least one of his players was selected to the Pro Bowl in 15 of those seasons."

That is what has me pumped and jacked about the future of the Seahawk OL. How many players under Cable tutelage developed into pro-bowlers?

One. Justin Britt who should have been a pro bowl tackle but backed into succcues as a C

The Breh

Reaction score
Seymour":3vxs57tp said:
The Breh":3vxs57tp said:
I do remember reading that Cable knew nothing of Pocic coming into last season so there's that.

That has nothing to do with him buying into drafting Pocic. Here is proof of that.
It might seem strange the Seahawks would select someone so high without meeting with the position coach but the Seahawks didn’t want to tip their hand.

“He was the one guy that, quite frankly, we were really sweating out,” Schneider told reporters Friday night. “We felt like we were drafting maybe two and a half players with one guy, so we debated whether to go up and get him or just sit and wait and sweat it out. I changed my shirt [laughing].

“We thought he was so versatile, we just wanted to be very careful with how much interest we showed.”

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2...red-up-to-work-with-seahawks-coach-tom-cable/

The whole threads premise is Cable having complete control of drafting the line.
I said as recently as our last draft with him they were already distancing themselves from his input.
Him buying in after the fact has absolutely nothing to do with this threads meaning.
Of course he's going to buy in.
Same way all those politicians who support a president at SOTU's by standing after every other sentence when they strongly disagree with the man.
Of course they're buying in.
The writing was on the wall as per Cables future here in hindsight.
I don't know what you're trying to say or if you're just playing contrarian as par for the course or what.

They clearly wanted a player and went as far as keeping him completely out of it.

Seymour

Reaction score
The Breh":36l4zslz said:
Seymour":36l4zslz said:
The Breh":36l4zslz said:
I do remember reading that Cable knew nothing of Pocic coming into last season so there's that.

That has nothing to do with him buying into drafting Pocic. Here is proof of that.
It might seem strange the Seahawks would select someone so high without meeting with the position coach but the Seahawks didn’t want to tip their hand.

“He was the one guy that, quite frankly, we were really sweating out,” Schneider told reporters Friday night. “We felt like we were drafting maybe two and a half players with one guy, so we debated whether to go up and get him or just sit and wait and sweat it out. I changed my shirt [laughing].

“We thought he was so versatile, we just wanted to be very careful with how much interest we showed.”

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2...red-up-to-work-with-seahawks-coach-tom-cable/

The whole threads premise is Cable having complete control of drafting the line.
I said as recently as our last draft with him they were already distancing themselves from his input.
Him buying in after the fact has absolutely nothing to do with this threads meaning.
Of course he's going to buy in.
Same way all those politicians who support a president at SOTU's by standing after every other sentence when they strongly disagree with the man.
Of course they're buying in.
The writing was on the wall as per Cables future here in hindsight.
I don't know what you're trying to say or if you're just playing contrarian as par for the course or what.

They clearly wanted a player and went as far as keeping him completely out of it.

My point is they decided to draft Posic without talking to Posic. Therefore they MOST likely talked with Cable and got buy in just like all the other oline picks before the fact. The article says that the Seahawks didn't talk with Posic prior to drafting him. That would mean nobody, including Cable. They well may have been distancing themselves last year, but nothing I see indicates that process of dumping Cable started that early IMO.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2jzacwhf said:
My point is they decided to draft Posic without talking to Posic. Therefore they MOST likely talked with Cable and got buy in just like all the other oline picks before the fact. The article says that the Seahawks didn't talk with Posic prior to drafting him. That would mean nobody, including Cable. They well may have been distancing themselves last year, but nothing I see indicates that process of dumping Cable started that early IMO.

Again, not unique to us.

Lots of players drafted, at every position group didn't speak with their drafted team before being selected.

My guess is Pocic was on a lot of team's draft boards, smart, strong, versatile, high character and motor.

In fact, I'd hold up Pocic as one of our lineman picks that signaled the end of the Cable era. Because he was actually a four year polished college lineman that played the same position, and not some athletic two sport project.

The safest lineman pick in a long time.

chris98251

Reaction score
J.R. Sweezy is all you have to know, Cable lobbied for him as well as Glowkowski.

toffee

Reaction score
Oakland had one of the most expensive OL, so guys wanna speculate how Cable will perform with that line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AgentDib

Reaction score
sdog1981":1qy0zbee said:
Did anyone read the article? They made zero connections to Tom Cable and his authority to draft or not draft players. This was a bait and switch headline and some of you fell for it. Go look at who the Raiders just drafted. They drafted Cable "project" offensive linemen.
People don't read the articles, they just use the headline for an excuse to have something to talk about. That's not really a problem IMO, but Jville is right (and too nice) about how garbage the article itself was.

original poster

Reaction score
AgentDib":3s02n6n5 said:
sdog1981":3s02n6n5 said:
People don't read the articles, they just use the headline for an excuse to have something to talk about. That's not really a problem IMO, but Jville is right (and too nice) about how garbage the article itself was.

I left thinking "what the hell did I just read?"

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
New offensive line coach Tom Cable was reportedly pounding the table for Miller, per Vic Tafur of The Athletic, and that's a problem. During his time as the builder of Seattle's offensive line from 2011 through 2017, he made several disastrous personnel decisions with the full support of head coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider. Cable's combination of wavering talent in evaluation and iffy coaching led to Seattle's offensive line declining to perhaps the worst unit in the league.

So, as Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie said, per Tafur, that Cable played a big part in the Miller pick on Thursday night, that should raise several red flags. Cable was able to double down on Friday when the Raiders took North Carolina A&T tackle Brandon Parker with the first pick in the third round. Parker, a massive blocker, stood out at the Senior Bowl when asked to play right tackle, but his tape—even against subpar competition—shows a player who's inconsistent in his pass set and needs a lot of technique work.

So, after McKenzie brought in left tackle Donald Penn and center Rodney Hudson through free agency, and guard Gabe Jackson through the draft, as dominant players, the new ideology seems to be to overdraft based on potential and hope the coaching staff can work it all out. Based on Cable's history, the Raiders may have a long wait before that happens—if that happens at all.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2773 ... ders-doing

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/992476979101286405[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/992474617255112705[/tweet]

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete and John have total control. That being said, they involve all the coaches and scouts and get their input. They’ve been clear about that since day one.

The question is the degree of influence Cable had on a continuum of a little to a lot. Based on past statements, I’m inclined to think a lot. That still doesn’t mean “complete control” however, and never did.

toffee

Reaction score
Cable drafted more Cable-ish linemen with Raiders.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
toffee":1y3n8x6k said:
Cable drafted more Cable-ish linemen with Raiders.

You make a very good point Toffee. I agree. The Raiders first round pick has Cable written all over it. I feel sorry for Kolton Miller. He has to work with subpar coach like Cable to start his NFL career.

chris98251

Reaction score
I look at it this way.

Solari - see that guy 18 inches away from you, move him backwards on run plays, on pass plays don't let him get past you.

Cable - see that guy across from you, ignore him and try to push that guy back two players to the left him on run plays, on pass plays go one guy to the right and get in front of him before he gets to Wilson.

Except third down and long, then I want you to fall down so he has to jump over you.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I don’t doubt your assessment and it’s difficult to argue what we have seen on tape so many times. It true though why did Pete let it go on so long and why have the raiders hired him? I guess Time will tell. Unfortunately we open against a rejuvenated Von Miller that we can no longer afford to double team thanks to the addition of Bradley Chubb.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1jy895x8 said:
I don’t doubt your assessment and it’s difficult to argue what we have seen on tape so many times. It true though why did Pete let it go on so long and why have the raiders hired him? I guess Time will tell. Unfortunately we open against a rejuvenated Von Miller that we can no longer afford to double team thanks to the addition of Bradley Chubb.

We have a tight end that can block now... so that should help and hopefully a running game to make teams do something other than end rush our QB. Plus.. who's Denver's QB? I think the biggest challenge in that game will be whether or not our new defense can hold up to the ground and pound from Royce Freeman.