Did we get worse?

chris98251

Reaction score
Worse then what, the other 31 teams that have lost players and are spending to emulate the Seahawks and doing it at the expense the future?

We have the rest of FA and we typically come in when players are pissed they didn't get what they think they deserve, we offer a compete contract to show what you got and set themselves up for a spalsh next year of be part of a Super Bowl caliber team with a chance to get there.

We have a draft to work yet and a stock pile of picks that are red shirted with a full year under their belt learning our system and getting NFL type bodies.

The front office isn't jumping in front of the bus, neither should we.

HawkStar22

Reaction score
No. We didn't get worse...

Cardinals - lost Dansby - signed No one
Rams - lost Saffold - signed no one
Niners- lost 3 starters from secondary - signed bethea

How did our division get better?

Throwdown

Reaction score
We don't do much work in FA, last years free agency was different because Avril and Bennett became deals that were just too damn good to pass up. We've lost a bunch of role players, and a starting WR who at best is a #2. 2011 is the only outlier that I can see when we brought in Rice & Miller.

Are you disappointed we didn't sign aging veteran pass rushers who are pricing themselves out of Seattle's desired market? I'm not understanding how we got worse.

kobebryant

Reaction score
HawkStar22":14wyuz7i said:

Veldheer is the best tackle the Cardinals have had in long time.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Let's break it down

Bennett-Same (worse if you believe in strategic effort)
Clemons-Worse
Bryant-Worse
Tate-Worse
ADB-eh?
Percy-Better
Giacomini-we can do better
Maragos-who cares
thurmond-we can do better
McCoy-Better
Simon-Better
Jesse Williams-Better
Jordan Hill-Better
Mcdaniels-Same
McDonald-worse
Cmike-$$$$

A wash to slightly worse, depends as others have said on how our draft goes and how our draft picks from last year turn out (only Willson really played). If I'm being honest our team is worse right now then during the superbowl, that said I have hope.

HawkStar22

Reaction score
Throwdown":30isw4xx said:
Little quick correction here, we traded Kelly Jennings for McDonald.

Thank you! Couldn't remember exactly what the trade was. Still proves my point though that McDonald wasn't very highly thought of at the time if he was traded for Jennings.

HawkStar22

Reaction score
kobebryant":3nlsewvc said:
HawkStar22":3nlsewvc said:

Veldheer is the best tackle the Cardinals have had in long time.

Oops. Forgot they signed him. You're right.. Super Bowl for the cardinals this year.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Championships aren't won in march, so I'm not to worried. Still have draft and trade deadline to go, things could change so much by then. As much as it sucks losing all these guys, the depth built makes taking the hit a lot easier. It's not like there is no way we can get back to where this team was roster wise, they've been breeding the replacements since the beginning and now it's time for them to step up. Draft is goona be important (obviously) since we now have some "holes" to fill.

McGruff

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1wrou5yo said:
I think it is fair to assume we got weaker with the loss of some of our FAs, certainly considering one strength of our defense was depth and one of our key weapons on offense is lost.

(It happens to most recent SB winners, they get stripped of FAs that are overpaid, so it was to be expected but still...)

The question is whether you think that getting weaker means that certain teams passed us, and if so who?

Are we still the strongest team in the league? How do we stack up now vs the teams that got better and are threats?

I am not convinced we got worse, except at WR . . . but I trust our redshirt sophomores more than most it seems.

HawkStar22

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":25sppr36 said:
Championships aren't won in march, so I'm not to worried. Still have draft and trade deadline to go, things could change so much by then. As much as it sucks losing all these guys, the depth built makes taking the hit a lot easier. It's not like there is no way we can get back to where this team was roster wise, they've been breeding the replacements since the beginning and now it's time for them to step up. Draft is goona be important (obviously) since we now have some "holes" to fill.

Great point. People don't realize that we have guys on the roster/practice squad who have been training in our system for a few years who could possibly
step up.

Like I said earlier, all the guys we lost were question marks at one point in time. Now it's time for a new set of question marks to step in and make a name for themselves.

Exittium

Reaction score
HawkStar22":13add1wx said:
I don't understand why people are assuming we got worse...

Stop acting like the guys we lost were all "superstars." In fact pretty much all of them were role
Players (aside from Tate). But with Harvin healthy for a whole season, even Tate becomes replaceable. See Super Bowl.

You make a list of our entire team and rank every player based on how they grade out and I bet you The players we have lost so far are pretty low on that list (aside from Tate/Clem who rank in the middle).

All the the players we have lost so far were good but not great. They were all guys who the Hawks turned in to key role players. Which is something I believe this team will have no problem duplicating again and again...

Breno - Picked up off waivers
Thurmond- 3rd round Pick (first time healthy last year)
McDonald - acquired via trade with Bengals (7th rounder I believe, first good year last year. Cut before season. Best seasons Happens to be the year Bennett and Avril are here)
Schofield- cut by cardinals picked up off waivers. 12 tackles
Maragos- career back up. Best kick holder in league
Tate- 2nd round pick (took 3 years to finally put it together)
Red- 4th round pick (Carroll saved his career basically / role player / age)
Clem- acquired for tapp plus we got a 4th (pretty much shows where his career was going before he got here..)
Rice- who?

There you go, now you tell me how many of these guys are NOT replaceable. They all are. And my point is, is that we found all these guys through trades/low draft picks/ and the waiver wire. We will be able to go through this entire process again and keep bringing in new, young, hungry players wanting a chance. Look at how many guys got paid in FA'gency because the Hawks, that should be attractive to other future players.

Stop worrying about us getting worse. As long as we keep our core in tact we will only continue to get younger, faster, stronger, healthier, and better.

To answer your question though, I don't know... Check back week 1 when the Roster is set to 53.

AGREED! I mean its not like we're the Ravens and completely gutting our team either. I really think the FO/PC/JS all have 1 thing in common and thats retaining guys for the long run and how we can do it. Not lets over pay this yr, and then have to lose even more possible key pieces next year.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
And we just lost Breno so we have gotten worse since my first post on this thread.

Rocket

Reaction score
Good God campers, Schneider swaps players like most of us change breaths.
We will be fine, he finds gems and doesn't overpay.
All is well.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Better pass rushing- Lost Red/Clemons, but pass rush will be better with increased snaps for Bennett/Avril. This is also a very deep draft for pass rushers to add depth at the five technique and LEO.

Better pass protection- Bailey/Bowie will improve on the tremendous potential they showed as rookies. Unger/Okung will finally be healthy. And Sweezy will continue to improve. This is a strong draft year for guard and tackles.

Better pass catching- Harvin is finally healthy. He will add more explosive plays to the offense. Kearse/Baldwin will continue on the trajectory that they showed during the playoffs. Tate's inability to create separation will be easily replaced. This is also an extremely deep year for receivers in the draft.

Better overall defensive play- The Seahawks boast the strongest defense in the league, and the corp of this defense remains intact. Thomas, Chancellor, Sherman, Maxwell, Wagner, Smith, Wright, Bennett, McDaniel, Mebane, and Avril. With all these starters back, they will be even more dominant as a group.

More scoring- Wilson will continue to mature as a QB. The offensive line will be better than when they were playing with so many injuries and inexperienced players. And the offense will add the explosive play of Harvin and Michael. Watch out.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Rocket":2f4ql01h said:
Good God campers, Schneider swaps players like most of us change breaths.
We will be fine, he finds gems and doesn't overpay.
All is well.
BINGO!

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
hawknation2014":166k46uo said:
Better pass protection- Bailey/Bowie will improve on the tremendous potential they showed as rookies. Unger/Okung will finally be healthy. And Sweezy will continue to improve. This is a strong draft year for guard and tackles.

Tate's inability to create separation will be easily replaced. This is also an extremely deep year for receivers in the draft.

I definitely don't think the sky is falling and am excited to see the Seahawks look for bargains during FA. However the homer-ism in your post is pretty laughbale. Better pass protection? Bowie really struggled in pass pro, Okung may be healthy but he's often injured. The pass protection MAY be better but we lost one of our most consistent starters on a poor OL, I'm not jumping for joy yet until we make some upgrades.

And saying Tate has an inability to create separation? Why does he essentially finish 1st or 2nd in receptions every year then?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":1ce0vgbb said:
However the homer-ism in your post is pretty laughbale. Better pass protection? Bowie really struggled in pass pro, Okung may be healthy but he's often injured. The pass protection MAY be better but we lost one of our most consistent starters on a poor OL, I'm not jumping for joy yet until we make some upgrades.

There's no need to throw around any ad hominems. Let's just look at the facts honestly and objectively.

Although PFF statistics are in no way definitive, Michael Bowie did lead the team with their highest grade (+7.1) .
Link: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -rankings/

Bowie managed this as just a rookie. Breno, on the other hand, has much less potential than Bowie and at five times the cost. His PFF grade was an overall negative. Most objective people can analyze the way Bowie played as a rookie and project that he has the potential to develop into an excellent RT for us this year.