Did we hold back last week?

Renohawk

Reaction score
I know it was a lackluster performance on offense, i'm wondering if we were holding back a bit for this upcoming week.

kearly

Reaction score
IIRC, Pete said we didn't. I think he was asked a question along those lines in a press conference and said we weren't withholding anything in the Carolina game. Maybe Pete has some trick plays up his sleeve that he obviously didn't use, but in terms of scheme, it looked like the same offense as he used in the preseason. A mix of read option, 2 back sets, and pocket passing, with some stuff we didn't do last year (TE/WR lined up at FB). According to Cable they tried some new stuff at run blocking too, and it didn't work out.

We were lacklaster last week, but it was actually for the opposite reason you thought. It was because Seattle was doing TOO MUCH new stuff, and also because Carolina's defense is a really tough matchup for our run-first offense.

grizbob

Reaction score
kearly":y3jce9aw said:
IIRC, Pete said we didn't. I think he was asked a question along those lines in a press conference and said we weren't withholding anything in the Carolina game. Maybe Pete has some trick plays up his sleeve that he obviously didn't use, but in terms of scheme, it looked like the same offense as he used in the preseason. A mix of read option, 2 back sets, and pocket passing, with some stuff we didn't do last year (TE/WR lined up at FB). According to Cable they tried some new stuff at run blocking too, and it didn't work out.

We were lacklaster last week, but it was actually for the opposite reason you thought. It was because Seattle was doing TOO MUCH new stuff, and also because Carolina's defense is a really tough matchup for our run-first offense.

OK this is really bugging me, kept thinking I could figure it out by context, what the hell is IIRC !? :?

Largent80

Reaction score
Cable aid in the Times yesterday that they didn't adjust well in the first half on their run packages. In the second half they did and you could see the difference.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I see some beast mode by the second quarter, more Tate, maybe some bubble screens, less Baldwin (except on third down), some Zach miller down the middle, a Sidney rice pass play to Kearse, Luke willson on a bootleg, and maybe some Christine Michael in the flat? Wilson lining up in the pistol formation, the jumbo package with mike person (that's why we kept him... :p). In other words, we will see some new wrinkles tomorrow for sure, which ones we can only ponder. :)

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Doubtful

And if you guys did hold back just because PC didn't want to tip his hand to Harbaugh, you guys should be freakin' pissed at ol' Carroll for jeapordizing an 0-1 start to the season just because of his career long rivalry with Jim.

It would be different if you guys were in control of that game while still lookin vanilla. But to NEED a game saving turnover near your own endzone, that is absolutely absurd to think that your own coach would hold back that much.

You guys had the whole off season to plan and prepare for that game, and to only put up 12 points is weird for how your offense was rolling during the second half of last season, and is why I guess I have seen analysts this week start questioning your teams lethality now.

themunn

Reaction score
grizbob":2hw1x2xf said:
kearly":2hw1x2xf said:

OK this is really bugging me, kept thinking I could figure it out by context, what the hell is IIRC !? :?

if i recall correctly

Manbearpig99

Reaction score
grizbob":12rk2p4t said:
kearly":12rk2p4t said:

IIRC, it means IF I Remember Correctly.

grizbob

Reaction score
themunn":34gs9kpr said:
grizbob":34gs9kpr said:
kearly":34gs9kpr said:

if i recall correctly

Thank you!! :oops:

Ozzy

Reaction score
Niner lifer-same could be said for your guys defense. You had all off season to prepare for Green Bay and still couldn't stop them. Needed a Lacey fumble at HOME to win. Analysts are questioning your defense as well after late last year and week one this year. My guess is our offense will be fine.

Ozzy

Reaction score
And there is no way Pete was holding back. Carolina just played a great game defensively.

pmedic920

Reaction score
This team expects to win every game they play. Could you really imagine PC telling the guys before the game " ok you guys hold back a little today. We don't want to look like we are super bowl contenders"? Or even one of the guys thinking to themselves that they didn't want to completely dominate. Many possible reasons they may have appeared flat, but "holding back" wasn't one of them. IMO

Hamhawk

Reaction score
I'm really curious to see how that Carolina defense plays the rest of the year,....their front 7 can be crazy good,...

sutz

Reaction score
I am absolutely certain that nobody said, "Don't play at 100% this week, save it for the Niners." That's a given. On game day, these guys are all in.

Now, do I think there are some plays in the playbook that they didn't put in the game plan for Carolina? Yeah, I do. Mostly because they didnt' think it would help against the Panthers. But I also think there are probably plays that they designed to be used against the Niners and practiced in the pre-season that will be revealed for the first time this week. Frankly, I'm sure the Niners have the same.

When these guys do game plans, they have to look several games ahead. In that respect, there is a bit of a chess match going on. IMHO they are always weighing the question of what to put in the game plan for this week versus what they'll face a week or two down the line. But, of course, the most important priority is winning the game in front of them.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
austinslater25":2atmlvnz said:
Niner lifer-same could be said for your guys defense. You had all off season to prepare for Green Bay and still couldn't stop them. Needed a Lacey fumble at HOME to win. Analysts are questioning your defense as well after late last year and week one this year. My guess is our offense will be fine.

Wouldn't say that we NEEDED the Lacy fumble to win bro. It happened in Packers territory near the beginning of the 2nd QTR.

It can be easily argued however that you NEEDED the D. Williams fumble since it happened with about 5 minutes left in the game and it would have been 1st & Goal from YOUR 8, against your run D that wasn't doing much at the moment.

Sac

Reaction score
The concept of any team holding back during any given week in the NFL is ridiculous. Just because we didn't blow Carolina out of the water doesn't mean we were "holding back". PC said they were trying out a few new things that didn't go as they expected and changed it up in the 4th quarter.

Even the Seahawks or Niners, if they decided to hold back, could get rolled by the Jaguars for that kind of arrogance.

hoxrox

Reaction score
NinerLifer":1ct6kr1l said:
austinslater25":1ct6kr1l said:

Wouldn't say that we NEEDED the Lacy fumble to win bro. It happened in Packers territory near the beginning of the 2nd QTR.

It can be easily argued however that you NEEDED the D. Williams fumble since it happened with about 5 minutes left in the game and it would have been 1st & Goal from YOUR 8, against your run D that wasn't doing much at the moment.

So a Panther score would have put them up 12-14, or 12-10, with 4-5 mins left on the clock. Are you saying that RW can company couldn't have gotten at least a FG with 4-5 mins?

Remember, even that last drive ended in a victory formation. There were more plays to be had if "needed"

Latest posts