DK!!!!!! PICK 64 ROUND 2 DK METCALF WR OLE MISS

misfit

Reaction score
Y'all gotta stop w the Julio comparisons. Julio is a way more complete athlete than DK

Mick063

Reaction score
misfit":7d55uav1 said:
Y'all gotta stop w the Julio comparisons. Julio is a way more complete athlete than DK

Julio may be a more polished receiver, but "way" more complete athlete?

Dude, you obviously don't know what you are talking about. The combine numbers (vertical, bench press, 40, as a composite) are the best since.....Julio. Size, strength, leaping ability, and speed. In spades.

Snohomie

Reaction score
I was doing to do a series of posts in the draft forum on WRs, but then grad school laughed at me for thinking I'd have that much free time.

Anyways, the one player I got to actually writing about was DK. This (except for the last paragraph) was done when most mocks had DK in the top-10.

Note: Combine Information taken from this awesome Google Doc:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... /htmlview#

D.K. Metcalf, Ole Miss
6’3 3/8 228lbs 9 7/8 H

Kent Lee Platte's RAS Combine Scores
40-yard dash: 4.33 seconds 9.90 (TWR3 of 37)
Bench Press: 27 reps 9.97 (TWR1 of 42)
Vertical Jump: 40.5 inches 9.69 (TWR3 of 42)
Broad Jump: 134 inches 9.92 (WR5 of 42)
3-cone drill: 7.38 seconds 1.04 (WR27 of 29)
20-yard shuttle: 4.50 seconds 1.00 (WR30 of 33)

After putting on a ridiculous (that’s really the correct word for being 90th percentile in every explosive drill and 10th percentile in the fluidity drills) combine, Metcalf is generally considered the top WR in most mock drafts. He’s also the first WR I sat down to evaluate. He left school after his rSo season, having suffered a broken foot in his freshman season (cost him 10 games) and a neck injury in 2018 (cost him 5 games).

Pros: He’s one of the SPARQ-iest WRs you’ll ever see (a ridiculous 139.7 rating). Huge, both tall and in bulk, looks like you could sneak him into the linebackers meeting room and nobody would notice. Great wingspan and solid hand size. Pretty explosive off the line (elite for his size) with elite deep speed. Eats up cushion and gets behind cornerbacks. Tracks the deep ball well and can make tough catches (sometimes). Several releases to get open vs press. Has some creativity in his deep routes – sells the threat of the comeback or post when getting vertical. Basically, he’s really good at getting open deep. Willing to fight for jump balls and wins there, good timing to high point and can move defenders with his strength. Can use his speed to set up comebacks and curls.

Cons: Probably the least variety I’ve seen in a route tree - very rarely ran an inside breaking route against man coverage. The 3-cone drill is so off-the-charts terrible that I wonder if the Ole Miss coaching staff just said “don’t let D.K. run inside routes”. Multiple drops in 4 games, some body catching but not great hands in general. He’s solid at deep balls, but with his size you’d expect him to win more often. Disinterested blocker in most circumstances, has a habit of watching the run rather than blocking for the runner. Not a great RAC guy – speed will get him some chunk plays, but doesn’t show a ton of wiggle or creativity.

Fit with the Seahawks: Seattle loves to throw deep and Metcalf should be elite at that part of the game. He’s going to create space for underneath routes because you can’t expect a corner to run with him all game, demanding safety help. He didn’t show a lot of consistency on scramble drills, but there were a couple times when his man got out of position and Metcalf just exploded to leave him in the dust. With his build, he should be a great blocker, but it appears to be an effort/willingness issue.

Overall view:
The combination of injuries, lack of evidence to suggest he can run short routes, hands, and mediocre blocking/YAC worry me a lot when some project superstardom for Metcalf. He seems like he will be a very useful starter, but it’s really hard to be a star WR based purely on prowess running vertical routes, especially since Metcalf doesn’t have Randy Moss level hands. I’m also having David Boston flashbacks (Boston basically body-built himself out of the league), Metcalf has already had injuries to two areas (feet/neck) that make me wonder how his body feels about supporting that kind of size. Still, his ability to get open deep will be valuable even if he can't put everything together.

Now that he’s a Seahawk: There’s a lot to like, and if Baldwin is really approaching the end of his career, selecting Metcalf enables Lockett to take over a lot of Doug’s slot snaps while Metcalf plays the “go deep” role to clear up space. At 64, it’s a lot easier to focus on what he can do (run deep and scare the piss out of DBs) than what he may never be able to do (develop into a well-rounded WR that can handle 130 targets a season).

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Mick063":2wkznyez said:
misfit":2wkznyez said:

Dude, you obviously don't know what you are talking about. The combine numbers are the best since.....Julio.

Or, maybe he did his research. DK Metcalf has horrible, and I mean BAD, agility numbers, which can be somewhat important for receivers. 7.38 3-cone and 4.5 shuttle were both worse than TOM BRADY did at his combine. 3rd percentile.

Julio had no such issues with agility.

Do you know what you're talking about? Big claims with big attitude should be backed with big evidence.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
So funny my neighbor and I have been talking about DK for the past few days. I was getting all worked up hoping they would pick him and boom!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Missed 16 games with injury, drops, terrible shuttle and cone numbers, thinnest route tree ever.

I can't get mad given where he was taken, but I wouldn't want him to have gone any higher.

His acceptance video made me love the guy, though. I do hope he works out. He sounds stoked.

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1kftso75 said:
Mick063":1kftso75 said:
misfit":1kftso75 said:

Dude, you obviously don't know what you are talking about. The combine numbers are the best since.....Julio.

Or, maybe he did his research. DK Metcalf has horrible, and I mean BAD, agility numbers, which can be somewhat important for receivers. 7.38 3-cone and 4.5 shuttle were both worse than TOM BRADY did at his combine. 3rd percentile.

Do you know what you're talking about? Big claims with big attitude should be backed with big evidence.
Sheesh, Maelstrom, bro, you must seriously hate DK...

He fits exactly what the Seahawks want from their X receiver.

DK gonna be nightmare when he gets his!

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Holy crap Adam Schiffer just said Baldwin is retiring! We better keep picking receivers!

Scorpion05

Reaction score
There have been NFL stars who failed combine drills but were great athletes. I think people are overplaying the agility factor. He has ridiculous size, reach, and speed. If Doug can develop into a polished route runner, if 6th round Antonio Brown can develop into a stud, I have faith.

Getting hype over the draft is a nice thing but when the dust settles, sometimes it's the 2nd, 3rd rounders that become bonafide stars

toffee

Reaction score
Fade":14feuhrb said:
toffee":14feuhrb said:
Fade":14feuhrb said:
toffee":14feuhrb said:
Of the two Rebel WRs, AJ. Brown was by far my favorite. Metcalf couldn’t unseat AJ as #1 WR last two seasons. It they are my alums so I love them both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really. The slot guy vs the outside big X.

Different players. Like trying to compare a leadoff hitter with someone who bats cleanup. Different skill sets entirely.

Metcalf fits the Seahawks perfectly. They will chuck it deep off of playaction, and Metcalf is going to feast.

I am reading that angry Doug might be done, with that Lockett the next slot WR with Metcalf playing flanker?

Metcalf is an X (Split End) . Calvin Johnson / Randy Moss type. a one trick pony, but it is a helluva trick.

He is the best deep ball target in this draft. Also an excellent red zone target with the ability to high point and catch in traffic, using his big frame and ridiculous vert. to go up and get it. He plays much bigger than 6-2 or whatever his list height is. He plays like he is 6-5, 6-6.

Very underrated after the catch, as he is a load, so smaller corners will have trouble bringing him down. If the corner misses the tackle he can take it to the house with his 4.3 speed.

There is higher bust potential with him then a lot of WRs in this draft for sure, but if that happens, I will bet it will be due to injury, not ability. He went to the perfect team.

They will ask him to play the David Moore spot. Which is pretty much running go & stop routes. With an occasional Slant/Post/Corner route thrown in.

They needed this player as it marries well with their run game.

You want to stack the box to stop Seattle's #1 run game? Now you will have to deal with Lockett & Metcalf running deep, and one of them will be single covered. Good luck with that, as Russell Wilson is one of the most accurate deep ball throwers in the game.

Check the breakdown video I posted above for a good scouting report on him.

Thanks Fade, much appreciated.

IF Doug retires, should Lockett move to Z or Y? In case Lockett plays mainly Y, who would be ideal Z to go with Lockett @Y and Metcalf @X?

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Fade":19m8fs0l said:
toffee":19m8fs0l said:
Fade":19m8fs0l said:
toffee":19m8fs0l said:
Of the two Rebel WRs, AJ. Brown was by far my favorite. Metcalf couldn’t unseat AJ as #1 WR last two seasons. It they are my alums so I love them both!

Not really. The slot guy vs the outside big X.

Different players. Like trying to compare a leadoff hitter with someone who bats cleanup. Different skill sets entirely.

Metcalf fits the Seahawks perfectly. They will chuck it deep off of playaction, and Metcalf is going to feast.

I am reading that angry Doug might be done, with that Lockett the next slot WR with Metcalf playing flanker?

Metcalf is an X (Split End) . Calvin Johnson / Randy Moss type. a one trick pony, but it is a helluva trick.

He is the best deep ball target in this draft. Also an excellent red zone target with the ability to high point and catch in traffic, using his big frame and ridiculous vert. to go up and get it. He plays much bigger than 6-2 or whatever his list height is. He plays like he is 6-5, 6-6.

Very underrated after the catch, as he is a load, so smaller corners will have trouble bringing him down. If the corner misses the tackle he can take it to the house with his 4.3 speed.

There is higher bust potential with him then a lot of WRs in this draft for sure, but if that happens, I will bet it will be due to injury, not ability. He went to the perfect team.

They will ask him to play the David Moore spot. Which is pretty much running go & stop routes. With an occasional Slant/Post/Corner route thrown in.

They needed this player as it marries well with their run game.

You want to stack the box to stop Seattle's #1 run game? Now you will have to deal with Lockett & Metcalf running deep, and one of them will be single covered. Good luck with that, as Russell Wilson is one of the most accurate deep ball throwers in the game.

Check the breakdown video I posted above for a good scouting report on him.

Yep. Fun fact, Randy Moss' shuttle time is the same as Tom Brady's

Randy was never known for being agile. He was known for his ridiculous speed and size. That worked out well

If I'm not mistaken, Calvin Johnson didn't run cone and shuttle drills. I don't think it's super common for receivers at his height and size to be agile. People are mainly criticizing him because mob opinion becomes popular opinion

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Spot on snohomie. I dont think hes going to catch 8 balls a game but in our offense 40 balls for 650 and 8 td would make me happy.

I think he is needed. Most of our picks arent sexy high ceiling guys and he will excite the fans

jeremiah

Reaction score
DK ...Donkey Kong. I like him a lot. When would he ever run a drill like that? Those things are for Tyler Lockett to run,....He will be a monster on the slants as well as go routes. Think of him as a receiving TE as well as an X receiver. This man will have tremendous success.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":3lk7xu2s said:
Maelstrom787":3lk7xu2s said:
Mick063":3lk7xu2s said:
misfit":3lk7xu2s said:

Sheesh, Maelstrom, bro, you must seriously hate DK...

He fits exactly what the Seahawks want from their X receiver.

DK gonna be nightmare when he gets his!

I don't hate Metcalf. He has some worrying red flags, especially in regards to his agility and college production. For someone to allege that one "has no idea what they're taking about" when calling Julio Jones a more complete athlete is ludicrous. At pick 64, it isn't a travesty - he fell to a more appropriate range. Obviously, his ceiling is pretty much limitless, and his agility may just be a training issue where the dude is simply too buff.

It's up to a few things:

- Can he stay healthy?
- Can he still separate against NFL-level coverage on short and intermediate routes, or is he a deep-ball only guy?
- Can he improve his hands?

If he can do all of those, I expect him to contribute on a level higher than what he did at Ole Miss - but I think those are valid questions to ask about him as a prospect. I'm rooting for him, he seems like a genuine high-character guy.

chris98251

Reaction score
Redshirt Sophomore 21 years old, he is still growing so to speak will out more, still developing, Earl Thomas type College Experience.

There is room to get better and learn here, may be a one trick pony this coming season but a couple years he could really blossom into special.

toffee

Reaction score
Just for fun, a comparison of big fast dudes, Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, and now our own Metcalf:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Moss
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/calvin-johnson
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/julio-jones
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/dk-metcalf

Height - Weight - arm length - hand size:
Moss: 6'3.5" - 194 lbs - 34" - 9.5"
Johnson: 6'5" - 239 lbs - 33 3/8" - 9 1/4"
Jones: 6'3" - 220 lbs - 33 3/4" - 9 3/4"
Metcalf: 6'3" - 228 lbs - 34 7/8" - 9 7/8"

Almost clone of Jones with longer arms?

40 yards - Vertical Jump - broad jump - 3 cone - bench press
Moss: .....4.38 sec - 33.0" - 117" - 7.19 sec - ???
Johnson: 4.35 sec - 42.4" - 139" - ??? - ???
Jones: ....4.34 sec - 38.5" - 135" - 6.66 sec - 17 reps
Metcalf: ..4.33 sec - 40.5" - 134" - 7.38 sec - 27 reps

I was surprised and had to look twice at Randy Moss's 3 cone stat, and LOL at Calvin Johnson for refusing to perform 3 cones. Hoping our boy Metcalf can have CJ-ish career, I would be one happy rebel, hotty toddy.

Own The West

Reaction score
I like the pick. I was thinking we might grab him at 47.

He's made for the X and I imagine he can block some in the run game.

Pete looks for big wideouts every year: Lawler, McEvoy, Harper, Norwood, Durham, ... I think this is the first one we've drafted that has elite speed. I think all the previous ones failed because, although they could break a coverage, they couldn't stay separated because the corners would close on them too quickly.

I can see this guy making a living on Go's and Slants because once the CB is in a trail position, he'll stay open. And even if they can close on a 4.4 guy, they're not going to be able to circumnavigate a 6'3" 230# obstacle to challenge a well thrown ball.

toffee

Reaction score
Own The West":10tjxg75 said:
I like the pick. I was thinking we might grab him at 47.

He's made for the X and I imagine he can block some in the run game.

Pete looks for big wideouts every year: Lawler, McEvoy, Harper, Norwood, Durham, ... I think this is the first one we've drafted that has elite speed. I think all the previous ones failed because, although they could break a coverage, they couldn't stay separated because the corners would close on them too quickly.

I can see this guy making a living on Go's and Slants because once the CB is in a trail position, he'll stay open. And even if they can close on a 4.4 guy, they're not going to be able to circumnavigate a 6'3" 230# obstacle to challenge a well thrown ball.

actually a 4.33 guy :)